Before we got Drusilla, Fence lived with another boy Emu, called Major. 70% of the time, they got along just fine, the other 30% they chased each other, but never aggressive.
Fence is now very calm, and the minut Drusilla died, he got alot calmer. Well, I'm not going to lie, when he get he's favorite food (watermleon), he turns into a T-Rex and chases everyone who breaths. (This is the only time he is dangerous aggressive)
I think he will be fine on he's own. But I will monitor him closely, of course.
Ge eats what the goats and the Llama eat. A pellet that is for goats and cows, I believe. Other than that, he gets fruit and vegetable, oats, bread crumbs, and sometimes boiled rice and/or pasta. And crispbread.
Do you have the brand name for that tyrkey food? I will try look it up in my local farmers store.
Hmm, sound strange. Perhaps a bird defect as you wrote, or inbreeding.
You have a fox too?! What awesome animals don't you have, heh! ;) I'm so sorry to hear that Can the vet. do someting, medication or pain killers?
what type of pellets do you give your goats? I am not saying food is the issue from your emu's death. but, sounds like some of the food you were giving him is not good for an emu. emu's should eat ratite food or turkey pellets. I don't know what brand I got for my emu's. I bought it from a farm store. fruits are good for emu's. the other foods, especially the pasta is not a good diet.
when I had Rocky, when I would have a barbeque outside, he would come to the table and pick at the potatoe salad. but not much of it, and not often. all my other emu's and rheas were fed turkey pellets and a little fruit.
to play it safe, skip the pasta and other foods for your emu's, except for fruit as a daily diet. use the turkey pellets or ratite food. make sure you get it from a farm store that has fresh pellets.
My Donnie (fox) died on Sunday. it was a horrible for me to see him suffer. he was my last fox. I use to have 3. I also have 3 raccoons now.
two standard color and one albino.
long time ago, my first fox and raccoon I bought at the same time. both were buddies and communicated with each other. even after I bought two more foxes. Daryl and Larry remained friends. when larry died (my raccoon) Daryl (my fox) cried out for him for months. it was sad.
my outside animals are a guiniea, chickens, ducks, steers, mini donkeys I use to have a steer, that was unbelievable. he was really a great steer.
anytime any animal would die, he would also attend the burial. Oscar (my steer) lived to be 18 years old.
right now, I have a duck that seems to think she belongs in house she sleeps in my room. I have big piece of carboard, for her to stay on.
she also has a little bed with bubble wrap (she loves that) but, she will go outside during the day.
I also have three ducks and goose that lives outside. I have a pond where they generally stay.
back to the food for your emu, I will look and see what brand of turkey food they have. but, since you live in a different country, I won't know if you can find the same brand. maybe something similar.