PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Emu taking care of eggs

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cutitdead

Emu taking care of eggs

Postby Cutitdead » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted, hope all is well.

I have uploaded a video to youtube of one of my males (Dedo) taking care of his clutch of eggs.

http://youtu.be/Q3AxsYCvB2w
BB

Re: Emu taking care of eggs

Postby BB » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

Hi, good to hear from you. I haven't been on here forever and a day either, so it is good to see an emu post! Unfortunately the vid didn't work for me, but when I dragged the curser along the timeline I could see it in the smaller version.
Does he sit on the eggs until they are hatched or does he leave them days before. I just had someone ask me, cause they found the eggs and the male didn't go near them anymore, the eggs were cold and when they checked three of the eggs were rotten but the other three had fully developed babies in them (unfortunately dead).
it was the first batch of eggs for their emus though, so maybe that was the reason?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 am

well It is certainly a pleasure to see cutidead and bb post again. :peng:
hope to see more updates on both of you.
also hope both of you can check in often. sometimes we get new members with emu questions that you both can answer better than me.

cutidead, the video is great. I really enjoyed seeing your emu.
I really miss having emus. I want to get more, but, time and money for me is a big issue icon-sad

I was a little surprised to see your emu didn't literately make a nest.
when I had mine, I use to put straw in their house,the male would make a big nest.. if I found an egg, I would put it in the nest.
if not egg, I would put a block of wood. I only had one male rhea that would sit on the nest.
he did hatch about 4 of them, but, only lived for a few weeks.
my emu's never laid any eggs that I was aware of.
please keep us updated.

bb,
as far as I know the emu and rheas will sit on the eggs until hatched. they might leave the nest for short periods of time.
guess like chickens. now that I am thinking back, I remember finding some eggs that had almost fully developed babies in it.
(but, they were dead) I have to wonder if some of these birds seem to sense if some will develop fully. :shrug:
it is a mystery why some will sit, then abandon their eggs. my chickens and ducks do this sometimes.

again, so glad to see you post again.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Thank you Pat. I just went through a break up few months ago with my partner keeping everything, I got thrown in a bit of a rollercoaster with a few things and being without internet.
But all is good, I just bought the most beautiful place, and I start fresh.
Unfortunately my ex turned nasty and won't even give me my animals, so I don't have any emu anymore.
But funny enough the day I found out he doesn't release my animals I got given a pair of geese. And you probably know how much I love my geese. So I have this new pair now, I haven't even named, I have no pens yet, but they live in a huge veggie garden at the moment. haha
Anyway, I won't be posting too much just yet, but I'll check in every now and again for sure. :bear:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:59 pm

bb,

I am sorry to hear of the problems you had. and also so sorry to hear your breakup, but, worse yet, is him taking your animals :twisted:
is there a way to take him to court over this?

I know how much you love your animals.

but, glad to hear you found a good place to live. you are a strong person, and I know whatever happens, you finds ways to deal with it.

glad to hear about your new geese, post pictures when you get time.

I wish you the best, and hope you will be back often.

BB

Postby BB » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Pat. I won't bother fighting the issue. It only wears one down. I'm done worrying or trying to make it work :yak: (love that smiley).
Only way is to go forward. Plus he always was good to animals so I know they will be looked after. I will post pictures of the place and geese soon.

Sorry Cutitdead for hijacking the thread, maybe Pat can move the posts to my "Shhh..." thread in the general section, as I will be posting the photos there anyway.

As for the emu eggs, how long is he sitting on them? Does he start sitting on them when the first one is in the nest or does he wait until all are laid?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I won't bother fighting the issue. It only wears one down.
good point, and I can understand that.
maybe he will have a change of heart later and give you the animals back.

I don't think cutidead will mind a couple off topic posts.

I look forward to seeing new picts.

Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Pat & BB glad to hear from you. Sorry have not been on, just too much going on with my business, 4 kids, and my wife has a small business on the side. So I stay busy.

BB, yes male will sit until all eggs hatch. First year males (first clutch of eggs) do not do so well. But he should do better next year. The male should stay with the eggs all the time. They do not usually eat or drink for they 52 days +/-. But on some warmer days I have seen my males up and walking around. I used to let mine sit for about 45 days and then I would take them away and finish of in incubator. But now I let them hatch them and I take the chicks away. They do a better go hatching then I do, and babies come out perfect. I have had some toe problems (splayed) and some leg problems (around 4 months old) in some I hatched. They just do so much better hatching naturally. My males usally start to sit when they have 3 or 4 eggs, but the female keeps laying for him until he has about 8. Which is funny, because the time difference between first 4 and 8th one is about 12 days. But they all hatch within 2 or 3 days of each other. No problem with the hijacking.....sorry to hear about your breakup, hope the road ahead is better for you!

Pat, I fought the birds for first two years. Tried to get them to have eggs in barn. The built a smaller bard with 2 open sides, and they would never go there. So I just gave in and let them do their thing. They always lay in the same 2 or 3 spots each year. My female will lay one male a clutch and when he is sitting she will mate with other one and lay him a clutch. I make sure they have plenty of leaves around them, that is their nest making material of choice. They build about a 2 inch layer of leaves and sticks, and then keep adding to them.

Yall take care, I will try to check in more often :icon-wink:

If you ever see anyone with an emu question, you can give them my email address divembk@gmail.com I am not an expert, but I have been messing with them for about 7 or 8 years now, so seen a lot.

Return to “RATITES”