https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Help My Emu are fighting

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

RadisaRanch

Help My Emu are fighting

Postby RadisaRanch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello,
I am new to this forum I hope one of you can help me out. I have three unrelated emu I purchased when they were a couple weeks old. They have grown up together. They were sold to me as 2 females and 1 male. They are now 2 years and a couple months old. Last month one of the females started chasing and picking on the other female. It got so bad that the one female jumped out of their enclosure trying to escape the abuse. I have had to keep her away from the other 2 emu for a month now. She is living happily with my two horses in their paddock. But just 3 days ago my male emu jumped the fence trying to escape the female that was fighting with him. she chases him and pecks at him. What is going on? I can understand the 2 females fighting but why is she also bullying the boy? So I took the boy out and put him with the 1st female in a separate area and that female is rejecting him and picking on him too!! I am having to keep them all separate now. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? any andvice is much appreciated
Thank you
Izzy :wall:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help My Emu are fighting

Postby pat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 pm

hi Izzy

welcome to sybils message board.

how big is the pen your had all 3 emus in?
sometimes, if too small, they might fight and one might try and claim dominance.

are you sure you have 2 females and 1 male?
(I am sure you probably can tell the difference by now)

as for trying to pair off, some emus won't accept each other as a pair. (male/female)
sometimes, it might take awhile.

I don't have a good answer to solve your problem.
maybe once you tell me a little more, I could try.

I personally, have not had emus for quite some time, but, I know
there are some members here that still have them, and can
give their thoughts on the problem.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
RadisaRanch

Postby RadisaRanch » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for your quick response. I am sure I have 2 females and 1 male. Their enclosure is about as big as a tennis court. I finally found the number for the breeder that I bought them from and he told me that during mating season the females will fight and when the males and females are courting each other it looks like fighting as well. So I am keeping the rejected female with my horses and the other female I am putting back in with the male. He suggested I get a higher fence. So that is my husband's new project for today. He will raise the fence another foot. Lets hope this works. Thanks.
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Emus will all fight this time of year. Yours may be to young to mate, but you never know, your females could lay a few eggs for you. Sometimes the male will attack the female and sometimes the female will attack the male. I have heard them called demon birds this time of the year, and that is true.

Years ago my oldest male cornered and kicked my wife. Cut her stomach through a heavy sweatshirt and sweatpants. We finally have through the eggs realized during mating season he hates here black hair. She can put a hoodie on and he will not bother her.

Raising the fence a foot will probably not help much. If they fight enough they will climb the fence. Even a 5' fence may not hold them in. If you could give them more space that would be best. The more room the better!

What I have learned through the years is to not worry to much about the fighting, there is really nothing you can do but separate them.

How long do the attacks last? Only a few minutes or do they chase and attack each others for hours?
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

I had the same scenario. If you read back a few threads, I think it was titled "BOB!!"
one of my females paired up with the male and the best solution was to find that pair a new home. The other female was just happy to finally don't have any emus around her :shrug:
Except seperating them with extra high fencing and enough space I don't think you can avoid the carnage....
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I agree with BB, sometimes they just do not work out.

I rescued a 4 year old female from a bad situtation. Owner was living in the middle of a drug area, kids were throwing rocks at emu, just sad.

Any way I bought her. Tried to mix her in with my 3 (2 males and 1 female). They all hated her, I thought one of my males was going to kill her. I have 3 pastures, all connected, one is 100% woods (forest). She got in there and I locked her up by herself. So fence line is shared with others, but they can not get to her. I may never be able to mix them together. I am going to try after breeding season, but only time will tell.

Emus are weird birds. Not a very big brain, so primal instincts rule!
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 am

See, this thread worries me. I'm in the process of fencing about one acre of land at the moment for my Emus, and due to budget restraints im not putting in any cross fencing in it at this time. Am I going to horrible regret not doing so? The acre is heavily planted with mature trees, and many new fruit/nut trees, if those kinds of sight blocks help. The pen will be about 200 x 180 feet rectangle.

I've passed by other places and seen emu/rhea/goats all just living in the pasture together. Should I stop worrying about them killing each other? I mean the one getting picked off can run off and hide behind a tree right?

Then I read about emu farms having large communal pens, and even doing colony style breeding, with multiple male/female pairs all in one large paddock.

I suppose I can subdivide the pen later on, I guess.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 22, 2013 9:40 am

Nicophorus

I am not sure what to suggest. I personally never had a problem with any of mine fighting.

I would think with an acre of a pen, they should be OK. but, for some reason, most emus seem to pace the fence line a lot.

how high is your fence? part of the fence I had was topped with with 2x4. so it made it a little tougher for them to jump.
the rest of the fence was about 8ft high.

if they do fight and you feel the need to seperate them, then I guess you could section off a part of their pen.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed May 22, 2013 11:22 am

I wanted 8 foot game fence (with 3 inch vert stays) but that turned out to be too expensive. So instead I compromised and am putting in 5 foot high tensile horse fence, with an extra foot of high tensile smooth wire strands on top to make it in effect 6 foot. No way is any ratite jumping out of there.

I'm making it so secure because ONE day my goal is for that to be my Cassowary pen (if I ever find any..), that's why I planted so many fruit trees in it (every 8 feet or so is some kind of fruit tree). I'll post a picture of the emus in it when its done. Yes if I ever do find a pair of Cassowary ill split this pen down the middle to separate the male from the female. But that's just some long term dream, the Emu get to live in it for now.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 pm

when I did the fence, I did not buy an 8' high fence. I think it was 5' high, then bought a 4' high fence over top the 5'.
over lapying it. but, the fence with the 2x4 on top seen to have worked.

I think the 6' fence will work. as long as you have your posts not spread too far apart.

you want a Cassowary :shock:
do you know they are down right mean and could be dangerous? they are worse than the rheas.
they are beautiful though.

one of the members here (chance) use to have one. he has not posted in quite some time though icon-sad
his cassowary died, he didn't know why or how.

if you decide to get one, make sure you completely understand their behavior.

Return to “RATITES”