PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

10 day old emu

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

lightsport

10 day old emu

Postby lightsport » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Hello everybody, my daughter came home with a 10 day old emu day before yesterday. From reading prior posts this baby is kinda fragile. She has a heat lamp at night and its staying in the house during the day. We have a goat yard that we can let her out in to run and play during the day while we watch her. She told me tonight she doesnt seem to be eating much because she doesnt have much poop. She is feeding non medicated flock starter. Any help would be appreciated, there isnt much info available online for emu's. We have raised lotsf different baby animas over the years but not a ratite.
Cutitdead

Re: 10 day old emu

Postby Cutitdead » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Here is some information I typed up years ago to give to people that I sold chicks to, it will help some. Their poop will be very watery, so do not be to alarmed. Just try to make sure it is eating and drinking:

Emu Chick Care:
Emu need heat, water, and feed just like a chicken chick. At 5 days old they need an area under a heat lamp that will give them heat of 85-90 degrees. They also need a cool area to move to if they get to hot. I find it best that their feed and water are between the warm and cool areas. I prefer pine shavings over all other bedding for my chicks. But never use cedar shaving.
I add chick electrolytes and vitamins to my chicks water. I will give you some of this with your chicks. I also add water soluble vitamin B to their water. This can be bought at Wal-Mart. I add about 2 cc's to 1 gallon.
The feed you received with the chicks is 20% chick starter feed from Tractor Supply. You can feed them whatever you wish, but slowly switch them over to your feed by mixing the 2 and slowly giving more and more of your preferred feed. You can also feed them cut up greens, vegetables, and fruit. Never feed them higher than 20% protein feed. Higher protein feed can make their bodies outgrow their legs. At an age of around 2-3 months you can switch them from crumbles to pellets. Many people that raise emus say to stay away from medicate feed. So I do not feed my birds medicated feed. Attached to this page is a print out of Mazuri's Emu Maintenance feed information. This is really good feed, but hard to find and expensive. But this will give you the nutritional information so you can find some feed close to the same. I feed my birds rabbit pellets. Nutritionally it is very close to this, and I can get it for about $10 a 50 lb bag.
Emu chicks need vitamin D (sunshine). At about 7 days old, and when it is warm out, 70 degrees +/-, they need to spend time outdoors in a fenced in run, so they can run and strengthen their legs. It is essential to the growth of an emu that they run and strength their legs. I would recommend an area about 4-8 feet wide and 20-30 feet long. Warning: If you have hawks in your area, please watch the chicks, hawks have been known to eat them!
Emus MUST ALWAYS have plenty of water to drink. You will notice their poop will most always be watery. An adult emu drink 1-4 gallons of water a day. So water is essential to their development.
Never let you chick walk on a slippery service (finished concrete, wood or tile floors, etc.) Until they are 3-4 months old they can easily slip and splay their legs, and really damage their muscles.
Emus heal very quickly and can over some very bad cuts. Make sure you do not put your birds in a pasture with bard-wire, as they will run their necks on it and get cut. At some point and time your birds WILL cut their necks. Most people want to help them, but unless the bleeding will not stop, I would not do anything, leave them alone they will be fine.
The very best source for more information on Emus is "The Emu Farmer's Handbook", this book can be bought many places online, and covers EVERYTHING about emus. A good website with some information is: http://www.exoticpetvet.net/dvms/emus.html
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 am

excellent post cutidead.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
lightsport

Postby lightsport » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 am

Thankyou cutitdead! That helps a lot. The watery poop really bothered us, so its good to know not to worry about that! She is eating better, but cries when we leave her alone, so she gets held maybe more than she should. Letting her run outside is a problem since she fits through the chain link squares! I hope she makes it.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am

lightsport

cutidead has a lot of experience with emus.

glad to hear your baby is doing better.

however, I would like to recommend getting another emu. even when full grown, they seem to like to be with a friend.
overall, they are pretty easy to raise.

keep us updated please

broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 am

I agree with Pat in that you may want to get another emu, or at least find her something to keep her company.

We had an emu for a while. He was absolutely wonderful. When we got him, he was completely wild, not friendly in the least, but over time he slowly warmed up to us until he would follow us around and let us pet him. Very sweet and gentle animal, didn't have an enemy in the world.

He loved our guineas, and would actually let our one hen sit on his back. Very cute. His best friend though was our steer, who would try to groom him; the emu in turn would peck at him. It was funny to watch. We had him for about a year, until we had a cold spell. He was doing fine for the first few days of it, although he took to the habit of sleeping between the steer's legs at night to keep warm. One night it got really cold, so he apparently huddled closer, and when the steer got up in the morning, he apparently squished the emu and killed him.

Never thought I'd cry over an animal that wasn't a cat or a dog, much less one so ugly, haha.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 pm

thank you for sharing your experience with your emu.

so sorry to hear of the loss of your emu.
emu's can usually endure the cold (within reason)

They should have shelter with straw. when I had my emus, and it was really cold,
I would have to walk them to their shelter. once they were in there, they stayed.

broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

pat wrote:thank you for sharing your experience with your emu.

so sorry to hear of the loss of your emu.
emu's can usually endure the cold (within reason)

They should have shelter with straw. when I had my emus, and it was really cold,
I would have to walk them to their shelter. once they were in there, they stayed.

At the time, we lived in North Carolina, and it was early fall. Tempurtures were in the high 80s one day, and then suddenly plummeted down to the 40s and below, and ironically the day after he died went back into the 60s (and eventually back into the 80s!). It was really unexpected. If we had one up here we'd be more prepared, but down there we just didn't really see it coming right then. What we get for not getting prepared anyway.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 pm

then don't really sound like he was cold. maybe he just wanted company :shrug:
when I say cold, I mean near zero. I have already seen my emus walking around with ice balls on their feathers. :roll:

I guess maybe it is not a good idea to have a steer bunk together icon_confused.gif
my emus got along great with my steer and even my bears. but, at night, they all went back to their "beds".

when I was down to one emu "rocky" he seemed OK being by himself. I had other animals he would sometimes roam with,
but, he like people better.

one day, I found rocky dead. to this day, I have no idea what happened to him. if I can remember back, it looked like
he had one of his organs hanging out. can't remember which one. it was a very sad day for me. I loved him, he was so very friendly.
it's been about 4 or 5 years since this happened, and I still miss him. :cry:

Return to “RATITES”