PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Are Cassowarys the most dangerous bird in the world?

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Are Cassowarys the most dangerous bird in the world?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I saw something on TV about Cassowarys a little while ago they are considered the most dangerous birds because they can cut through a persons body very easily with their legs? The person on the show had to use a glass shield when going into the Cassowary pen to protect him from kicks from the Cassowary!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Cassowarys the most dangerous bird in the world?

Postby pat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:39 pm

yep, they are out of all the ratites. even worse than ostrichs.

cassoary are just mean birds and strong.

a member here use to have one, but, the bird died. the member has not been on here
for quite a while.

the rhea males are mean too. but, a cassary, would be stronger and even more aggresive.

shame, cause they are beautiful birds.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Pat, if you can get in touch with the former Cassowary owner, would like to chat, I now have one in my care. I hand-feed it Spanish needles (as a treat of course), it picks the daisies off the stem. I would like to get diet info, figured since I was still a member on this site, the easiest way to go when I can jump on computer on occasion, no time to research otherwise. Sometimes zoo websites are not the best source, private ownership is usually the best. icon-smile
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 am

Lionsniper,

I don't know what happened to chance. I emailed him awhile back and never received a response icon-sad
his website is also down. I have no idea what happened.. I will email him again and see if I get a response.

If I get more time (really have a lot going on) I will try and research for you.

as for their feed, I can only guess, the feed would be pretty much the same as the emus, since the cassowarys are ratites.
I use to use turkey finisher on my emus. It is cheaper. my concern was buying food specially for ratites, could be old or moldy food, due to not many people have ratites.(I had that happen to me, killed all my young rheas) fruits is another good addition.

I hope to hear more about your cassowary. pictures would be a bonus.

please be careful with him, they are nasty birds.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:33 pm

They are frugivores with a very poor/inefficient and short digestive tract. There is a breeder of them in both Florida and one of the Carolinas that you would probably be able to find with some searching.

I don't have any, I just have Emus. I'd like one day to have them though.
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks for the responses. Pat, my laptop went kaput where all my photos are stored on, currently using library computer, this is why I am unable to do any research. :icon-frown: I'm working p/t time at this facility so I am waiting on f/t and then to get internet at home. I was thinking ratite commercial food as well but I am glad they do not feed that, feeding a game bird mix and she loves tomatoes, I use that to lure her away from the food tub so I can dump the feed in. I am sorry you lost your emu chicks. Cassowarys are quite the primitive creatures, like the Indian rhinos that I have no time to check out, once I am f/t I think I will be cross-trained on the hoofstock as well. I've always worked big cats but I adore the primates/lemurs, much more engaging and fun and hard to figure out. I especially love the mandrill, he is my buddy. I hope to implement some diet and enrichment changes there as I have much experience and the current help does not. But until I can do my research, the animals are thriving on the status quo. I am glad to see this website still thriving. :rhin:
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 pm

I have a friend in NC that has one. She also raises Emus. She usually feeds hers a lot of fruit. I do not think it eats the normal ratite feed. I will email her and ask if you would like for me to. She got it as a chick, and now it is about 6 or 7 years old. It is pretty nice and tame, but I have not spent that much time around it.
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes, thanks. This one really likes tomatoes. They are not feeding ratite diet so I would be interested to see what that gal feeds.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:52 pm

lionsniper,

I found this link:
http://www.australasianzookeeping.org/H ... ARAZPA.pdf

seems pretty informative.

looks like it is from an austrialian zoo.

Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am

From my friend that owns a Cassowary (she also has about 12 emus and a ostrich):

"Chuck’s primary diet consist of fruit , not citrus but most all other fruit , tomatoes included. He does eat the pellets the emus and ostriches do also but Cassowarys HAVE to have fruit , they are rainforest birds you know. He’s terribly expensive to feed, especially in the winter when fruit is not so abundant here and the cost of a variety can be quite high.

Tell them that if they want to raise a Cassowary they should seriously consider just how dangerous they truly can be. I don’t have much trouble with Chuck but I raised him from a chick and he’s never been around a female, that prob. helps some but still has his “ moments “ too."
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Pat, I am going to see if a librarian can help me open the file you sent, thanks though. Cutitdead, funny name!, I don't know how long he has kept Cassowarys but the mate died not too long ago of liver cancer. Can't remember which one is left, male or female, ( I have a tremendous variety of creatures to care for and only working there 2 days until he increases my days and hours if he would stay put, lol) but when he returns from Dubai, I will mention that we should feed it fruit. He allowed me to up the grain, I am hoping to manage the facility and then the animals will thrive under my care and I can do the proper research and hopefully get my laptop up and running so I can do this. I have always heard how dangerous they can be, they have a predatory gait as they approach you, but just another of God's wonderful, fascinating creatures that I have been blessed to care for. Cheers!

Return to “RATITES”