PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New member. Emu lover

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

reeny

New member. Emu lover

Postby reeny » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:04 am

HI everyone! I am just new to the group and am loving all this new information... I started off with one emu..which I still don't know yet if a male/female? Does anyone know how or what age they are when you can sex them? It would be nice to know if our Twiggy is a he or she :icon-wink:
Twiggy is almost 6 months old now and just wondering how old they are when they reach full size...I have done tons of research and alot of websites I have been on say that they reach their full size by 6 months...Twiggy is no where near the size that I have seen full sized emus.
hhmmm...?
Anyway Twiggy is a really sweet bird and our whole family just adores him...
He has been raised as an "only emu..and has been spoiled rotten.. which is my next question whether or not to get another in the spring...?
We would love to see Twiggy have a friend...but after reading a few stories from the forum I am wondering if getting another could be a good thing or a bad thing...If I do get another ...I am hoping to get another baby and raise it the same way as Twiggy..not sure if getting an adult would be a good idea or not.
Well I have tons of recent pictures but they are all on a cell phone that I recently purchased and I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to transfer my pics on to my pc..I would love to post some of Twiggy..
As soon as I am able to get some pics I will post.
I am so happy to have found this forum...There is absolutely NO ONE in my area that has emu or even know anything about them... A couple of people were riding their bikes by our house in the summer and said to his other friend " Hey look at the cool Ostrich".. :lol:
I look so forward to getting to know everyone
Marina (reeny) and twiggy
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New member. Emu lover

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 am

Aah. I love the name Twiggy. :) I don't know about emus, but hopefully someone will chime in soon!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 am

Hi Marina,
welcome to our message board.

congratulations on your emu. they make nice pets. however, usually they do better with a mate.
(not sure how crucial it is) I have raised emus and rheas. when they all but one died, the one left seem to do OK himself.
but, at that time, I had other animals, which he seemed to get along with.

if you get another, it should be a baby. but, do not keep the baby with twiggy, until it is bigger.
an intro should be done first though.

at 6 months your twiggy will grow more. their average height is about 5ft (from their head)
I think around 235-250lbs.

I think (not sure) emu's are adult age at 12-18 months.
the males are usually quiet. the females (at an adult age) will make a drumming noise.
to have them sexed before adult stage, they have to be done internally. some vets know how do this and some experienced emu owners can do it.

you should be able to pull your sim card from your phone and insert it into your computer, if you have the sim card port on the computer. otherwise, you can use the usb cable that came with your phone to connect to the computer.
other than that, I I don' t know, I don''t use my cell phone for pictures.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your twiggy.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
reeny

Postby reeny » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Pat! Thank you for your reply! Not sure if it was a typo when you said 230-250lbs? I thought that emus weight at adult age was around 140lbs.or around there?
Oh well anyway's he is a wonderful bird...we love him/her so much...thank you for suggesting to me to start again with another baby when the time comes to get another.. that is the route that I was thinking of anyways..It is always so fun to get a baby and watch it grow...we definitely would want the same experience as we did with Twiggy... Twiggy was only 6 days old when he came home with us and just as cute as a button!!
Twiggy was actually raised with us in the house..he had his own little bed in the bathroom when he outgrew his crate..It was summer time when we raised him so he was outside most of the time..just at night we brought him in so we could bond with him and keep him close to us...It definitely worked...He is the sweetest bird ever...
He is outside now all the time and has his own coop...and we fenced in our entire front and side yard ..so he can always be around us where ever we are ..
He gets along with all the other animals and absolutely loves our dog Jasper...Anytime Jasper is lying down Twiggy snuggles up to him and sleeps with him...oh so cute!!

I know I keep referring to Twiggy as a "he" ..we don't really know for sure...but just started calling Twiggy a "he" and it stuck.. I guess time will tell if he turns out to be a "she".
I checked out an interesting link on one of the posts that show what might possibly be a male or female by the markings on the top of the head when they are chicks...now according to the pics that they showed indicating m/f...Twiggy definitely had the markings of a female...but how accurate that is ...I guess we will see... :icon-wink:
In regards to my phone...I have tried everything to load the pics on to my pc including what you suggested too...and nothing has worked...I finally went back to the store that I bought the phone from and all they did was transfer my pics on to a memory card..which I still cannot transfer on to my pc because it doesn't have any memory card access...So what I will try and do later today is get the pictures printed in town and scan the prints when I get home and see if it will work that way... I really want you to see our pics and see what a sweet bird he is and how he interacts with us and our farm animals...He is so awesome!!..I especially love how he loves to snuggle..as soon as he sees you sit down he will sit down and literally crawl up on to your lap and bury his cute fuzzy head in your chest or under your arm and cheerfully chirp away....aaaawwww!!! I could just talk about him all day...but I will go for now and see what I can do with the pics in my camera and hopefully post some pics later on today!
Thank you again Pat...I hope you are able to get another emu or two again...I know how much you must have loved your Rocky...and how much you must miss him..I view his pictures quite often.. icon-smile
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

I raised so many different animals, I got confused about the emus. you are correct about the weight.
it could vary up or down. I must of been thinking of my llamas weight.

when I had my emus, I got them all as adults. I had 4 of them. 3 later died icon-sad those 3 were not as friendly as rocky was.
rocky (as the others) came from a zoo, but, he was very friendly and got along great with all my other animals.
I guess, I don't really know how old rocky was. I was devastated when I found him dead. I never did find out what he died from.

I always wanted to get very young emus, like you did. they use to be very plentiful long time ago. now that the market is down, many people quit raising them.. right now, I don't have the time for emus. hopefully, in the near future.

I am so very anxious to see twiggy. who knows, he/she might do OK by itself. twiggy sounds like such a dream to have.

Anytime Jasper is lying down Twiggy snuggles up to him and sleeps with him...oh so cute!!

that sounds so cute. I hope you got pictures of that.

I am not how accurate markings on the emu is. in time, you will know.

for the pictures to your computer. if you have a usb cable to your camera and computer. it should upload them.
if not, look in "my computer" and see if there is a drive other than what you normally have. if so, click that on.
I have a slot to put my card in my computer. on your phone, you should have a memory card. (I might of said simm, but, meant memory card) this is where the pictures would be

reeny

Postby reeny » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:42 pm

For pat twiggy and Jasper.jpg
HI again Pat and all other emu lovers!
I wanted to share a few pics of Twiggy with everyone..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reeny

Postby reeny » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:49 pm

for pat tiwggy and jasper napping.jpg
for pat tiwggy and jasper napping.jpg
Here are a couple more....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for the pics. Do you have any recent ones?
reeny

Postby reeny » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:43 pm

HI there! Here a few recent pics of Twiggy! He is almost 6 months,,,hope he looks the right size for his age....what do you think?
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:16 pm

I've got peacocks, he looks huge. Love the facial of him.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am

all the pictures are great.
I really love the pictures of twiggy snuggling with the dog. too adorable.
now that twiggy is bigger, your dog can snuggle with twiggie :lol:

so glad you got the pictures :peng:

I forgot to tell you, the females also get a drape-like feathers on their chest.
it is hard to tell yet, but, it looks like twiggy might be a she.

twiggy is a very nice size for 6 months.

thank you for posting the pictures, keep them coming.

reeny

Postby reeny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 am

Thank you for your replies! Pat your website was one of the first sites I was on before I even got Twiggy. It was the most informative and I thank you for that!..It was also the only site that showed what a female looks like with the extra drape-like feathers...You can definitely see that when you see the pictures of Nancy. Well I guess we will see if Twiggy turns out to be a she :lol:

I will definitely be posting more pics now that I have the hang of this!

Thank you also for the comment of Twiggy looking good for his/her size.
I have been worried that he was not getting the right food and not sure if he was growing properly...
I looked everywhere in my area long before Twiggy came home to get the proper ratite feed for him...Only one place said that they could order it in...but when the time came and Twiggy came home the guy said he couldn't get it in because he had to order a minimum of 20 bags...and it seems that I am the only emu owner in my area at the time...So just for one emu the food would go bad...and he couldn't store it in his store either for the same reason...
Others suggested Chick grower when he was young...so that is what he has been eating as well as grass and other treats. The chick grower is 20% protein...not sure if this is something he should still be on? Since he is still growing...or should I change it to something else?
Thanks again Pat for all your help!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 am

glad to hear you found the emu info helpful. I would like to add more to, but, hard for me to get the time with everything I do icon-sad

if the chick grower is working, that is great. is this feed corn mix? I think the turkey finisher would be better.
they are pellets, and not grain. If you do change foods, you should mix the old with the new for awhile, then taper down each day with the old. Not sure how long to keep twiggy on the grower, I don't think too much longer.

I use to use turkey finisher on my adult emus. it was safer than getting the actual ratite feed, because we don't know how long it sits. it can go bad.. better to be safe than sorry.

glad you got the pictures to work with ease. what did you end up doing to get it working?

Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:48 pm

I would say 12-16 months until it is full grown. Hard to tell sex really until they are fully grown sexually (2-3 years old). If you want to you can send a DNA sample (blood) to http://zoogendna.com/. I am not sure what the cost is, but I have used it before. Think it is about $20. I clipped the wing nail short to make it bleed a little (doesn't hurt bird:).

Getting another bird or not is a tough call. It will either go really well, or really bad. If you do get a chick you cannot have them together until it is full grown (I would say year old). But even then they may fight. Could fight to the death :(.

Emus do not need to be around other emus. A lot of people say they do, I disagree. Having raised one by itself, and rescuing one last year. The seems to be a lot nicer when not around other Emus.

I feed my emus rabbit feed. For about a year I bought expensive feed that was hard to find. I finally just took the nutrition information, and started comparing to other feed, and rabbit was the closest. But the one I rescued last year, she was being feed cheap dog food, and she was in great shape.

If I can be of any help, let me know. I tired to check the site every few weeks, but my work keeps be busy. Feel free to email me divembk@gmail.com if you need anything. I know how it is to have emu questions and not be able to find the answers. I have been raising them for about 8 years now. So I have had to figure a lot out. Thanks for the PM Pat, feel free to contact me anytime!
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Sorry I would keep on grower until maybe 12 months old. As long as it is only 20% protein and not higher. It is good to stay with a grower until about full grown. But you will need to find a pellet one, and get away from the chicki starter. Just say around 20%. Try not to go over it. This is really good feed. http://www.mazuri.com/ratite.aspx but hard to get and kind of expensive.

Return to “RATITES”