New member. Emu lover

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New member. Emu lover

Postby pat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Well Twiggy is sitting at my back door pecking at the door...He wants me to get off the computer and go sit with him... He is such a sweetheart.

well, he has you trained.. :lol:

forgot to mention about your pictures.. I also loved the one with twiggy, your dog and cat eating out of the same bowl.
that was too cute. of course I loved all the pictures too.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Are emus super friendly then? From the pictures it looks like they are super affectionate and good with people.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
reeny

Postby reeny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:55 pm

HI Ash! Well I had the same question for so many people when I was researching them trying to decide if it would make a suitable pet for Me and my family.. And so far so good!!
We all raised Twiggy as an only child (Emu) And got tons and tons of attention and handling from when he was 6 days old...To this day he has never met another emu...
He is really friendly all around, and gets along well with the other animals here and all us humans! In general I believe they are very friendly and affectionate birds ... But I guess you can get the odd mean one... :twisted:
reeny

Postby reeny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 pm

for pat twiggy and amigo and taylor.jpg
Hey Pat, here is another sweet picture of my Twiggy when he was younger with my son and our loveable donkey "Amigo".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

the picture is so adorable. twiggy fits in with everyone. he was so adorable, well, of course still is.
your donkey is beautiful. all one big happy family..

I believe the emus make good pets and are friendly. but, of course just like most animals, they need some time spent with them. I never had problems with any of mine.

I don't remember if I mentioned this, emus should be ivomec or similar prevention. sometimes they can be prone to worms that are very dangerous and lethel. I had a couple that had mengorie worm. it was not a pretty site.
there is a paste they can be given for maintenance. not sure what age to start them on it. seems fall is the worse time.

Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 pm

I love the pictures of Twiggy....I am a new emu owner as well, we adopted a breeding pair about a year ago....they are very loving, although the male is more so than the female, unless he is around other male ducks, like at our local fair. Then we have Zali who we brought home at 4 months old....we weren't sure what he was until he made "his" noise....the males make a grunting noise like a pig and the females make a drumming noise like someone pounding on a drum.....they do this when they are happy! Does Twiggy make any noises yet when he is happy....You can tell if he is a he or a she by the happy sounds he makes :)
reeny

Postby reeny » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm

HI mechille: I first would like to sincerely apologize for not replying to your post sooner! I had a huge computer crash and could not even contact anyone over Christmas via internet.
And WELCOME!!! to the group...glad to meet another emu lover!
I am happy you like the pics of Twiggy...Do you have any pics of your emus to share? I always love looking at emu pics!
I took a great bunch of pictures of Twiggy over Christmas and I will post them soon...I just got my computer working again yesterday and I have to figure out all over again how to post these pics...ggrrrr...

Well Pat and all my fellow emu lovers I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for 2014...I am so sorry again that I could not contact anyone on the forum over Christmas or in the past few weeks...I have everything up and running again with my comp...but the problem is not entirely fixed yet...so it could happen again... but in the meantime I will try to get those Christmas pictures of Twiggy posted! They are pretty funny and cute!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:23 pm

hi reeny,

real glad to hear from you. sorry to hear about your computer problems. I am sure that was frustrating.

I will anxiously await update pictures of twiggy..

reeny

Postby reeny » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi Pat :-) Hope you had a great Christmas...I think I will start a new thread...this one is getting kind of long... I am going to try and download the pics right now in a new thread!

Return to “RATITES”