PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New member. Emu lover

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

reeny

Re: New member. Emu lover

Postby reeny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Thank you for the info cutitdead. Sounds great.. Any info I can find that will help Twiggy to thrive would be awesome..
Do you have any pics of your emus?
Thanks so much icon-smile
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 am

Cutitdead's information is going to be better than mine. I belong to a chicken forum and a lot of the emu owners also can't get or won't pay for the mazuri. I'll copy the info on it in case you haven't got access to it, but they say you can duplicate it more economically. Also, and this is 2nd hand, one owner said his feed man remembered when the bottom fell out of the emu market and people were stuck with emus they couldn't sell and couldn't afford to pay for mazuri to feed anymore, they switched to calf (I think it was grower) and ended up having much better hatches than they had with mazuri. Another has a 22 yr old he raised from a chick- on o Roy dog food . So I guess, just like all animals, there is more than one way to feed, and as long as they get what they need, its all good. I didn't see any animal protein in the mazuri and I would think that emus would need to replace the insects,lizards that they aren't getting.

Mazuri Ratite feeder/maintenance food:

Pellet size: 5/32" diameter x 1/2" length. 50 lb. net weight paper sack.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude protein not less than.......................17.0%

Crude fat not less than................................2.5%

Crude fiber not more than.........................14.0%

Calcium (Ca) not less than........................1.05%

Calcium (Ca) not more than......................1.80%

Phosphorus (P) not less than....................0.70%

Salt (NaCl) not less than...........................0.40%

Salt (NaCl) not more than.........................1.05%

Ingredients

GROUND CORN, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA MEAL, GROUND SOYBEAN HULLS, DEHULLED SOYBEAN MEAL, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SOYBEAN OIL, CANE MOLASSES, FISH MEAL, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LIGNIN SULFONATE, YEAST CULTURE, DL-METHIONINE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CHOLECALCIFEROL, VITAMIN A ACETATE, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, BIOTIN, TOCOPHEROLS, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX, FOLIC ACID, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN, NICOTINIC ACID, MANGANOUS OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, VITAMIN B-12 SUPPLEMENT, FERROUS CARBONATE, ZINC SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COBALT CARBONATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, SODIUM SELENITE.

Feeding Directions

-- Feed free choice from 3 months of age to breeding.

Average Feed Weights (note that average feed weights may vary due to method of measuring)

Measurement g of Diet

¼ cup…………………………………..42

½ cup................................................80

1 cup…………………………………..162 2/11/10

Approximate Nutrient Composition

NUTRIENTS

Protein, %...................................................17.3

Arginine, %..................................................0.94

Cystine, %...................................................0.24

Glycine, %...................................................0.73

Histidine, %.................................................0.43

Isoleucine, %...............................................0.87

Leucine, %..................................................1.34

Lysine, %.....................................................0.90

Methionine, %.............................................0.41

Phenylalanine, %........................................0.83

Tyrosine, %.................................................0.57

Threonine, %...............................................0.63

Tryptophan, %.............................................0.21

Valine, %.....................................................0.90

Fat, %............................................................2.7

Omega-3 Fatty Acids, %.............................0.20

Omega-6 Fatty Acids, %.............................1.30

Fiber (Crude), %.........................................13.0

Neutral Detergent Fiber, %.........................28.0

Acid Detergent Fiber, %..............................16.3

Metabolizable Energy*, kcal/kg...............2,000

MINERALS

Ash, %..........................................................8.0

Calcium, %.................................................1.50

Phosphorus, %...........................................1.00

Phosphorus (non-phytate), %.....................0.78

Potassium, %..............................................1.30

Magnesium, %............................................0.25

Sodium, %..................................................0.20

Chlorine, %.................................................0.52

Fluorine, %...................................................NA

Iron, ppm.....................................................494

Zinc, ppm.....................................................147

Manganese, ppm.........................................180

Copper, ppm..................................................38

Cobalt, ppm................................................1.10

Iodine, ppm...................................................1.3

Chromium, ppm............................................NA

Selenium, ppm............................................0.68

VITAMINS

Thiamin, ppm.................................................14

Riboflavin, ppm..............................................15

Niacin, ppm..................................................100

Pantothenic Acid, ppm..................................24

Choline, ppm............................................2,200

Folic Acid, ppm.............................................5.2

Pyridoxine, ppm............................................6.0

Biotin, ppm..................................................0.45

Vitamin B12, mcg/kg.......................................15

Vitamin A, IU/kg......................................16,000

Vitamin D3 (added), IU/kg.........................3,300

Vitamin E, IU/kg...........................................150

Vitamin K (as menadione), ppm...................4.3
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 am

thank you trefoil and cutidead for supplying the info for reeny.

I found it informative. I haven't raised emu's for quite awhile, so some I don't remember some, and some I didn't know.

when cuitdead mentioned about the raising the emu solo. I wondered that myself. I have always heard they do better with a companion. my rocky did fine solo after all the others died. I do know some people have problems with introducing
two adult emus. I never did.

when I get time, I would like to add that info to my care sheet. but, of course will give credit to cutideads info and trefoil's info

thanks again.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 pm

I have tried for a year to introduce a female in with my others, and all they want to do is kill her. She was rasied by herself. She would like to be with the others, but she is the tamest and sweetest bird we have.
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Protein is the most important. I feed my birds (and goats also) 17% rabbit feed. I would also stay away from mediciated feeds. I have heard bad thinks, but do not know for sure.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:14 pm

I have tried for a year to introduce a female in with my others, and all they want to do is kill her. She was raised by herself. She would like to be with the others, but she is the tamest and sweetest bird we have
. just out of curiosity,
how many emus did you put the female? Even when Rocky was with the others, he was still very friendly.
I have added adult emus together without a problem. Guess they can all be different. but, only had 3 others.
(not counting the goofy rheas) On another note, the emus came from a zoo, so maybe they were previously together. :shrug:

Protein is the most important. I feed my birds (and goats also) 17% rabbit feed. I would also stay away from mediciated feeds. I have heard bad thinks, but do not know for sure.
thank you for info, if I get emus again, I will feed them
the rabbit feed.

yes, I agree about the medicated feed. long time ago, I had baby chicks and ducklings. I gave both the mediated feed,
the chicks were OK, but all the ducklings died icon-sad after that, I never bought the medicated feed.

thank you again cutidead. I appreciate the info..

Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:22 pm

I first tried adding one male with her. I got her during winter, so was at end of mating season, as I wanted to see how it would go. He had been with my female and other male. For one he did not like being away from them, and all he wanted to do was chase her. So then I tried to put them all together, and both males would chase her. So then I put a feeder on top of the corner post between 2 pastures, and fed them all there. Did that for many months, and they would all 4 eat out of it (3) on one side and new female on other. So finally opened the gate between the 2 this summer. Right now it is still open. The pasture new female (DeeDee) is in is mostly wooded, and she knows that is her safe place. So if one of them chases her, she runs in there and they leave her alone. I have noticed though, as my oldest male gets older, he HATES my wife. Shelly (wife) has long dark hair, and we finally think that is what upsets Dedo. Full grown emus will hunt and kill young emus in the "dark head" stage. Kinds of like Twiggy is in. So all we can think is he relates that to her. I think I may sell Dedo and Ume, if I can find a good buyer. Just to hard to handle all by myself. This time of year Shelly cannot go in pasture. He has already kicked a gate into Shelly once, and then other time cornered her, kicked her, and cut her stomach through a sweatshirt and sweat pants. He is Bi-Polar I think, One mine fine, next minute all pissed off.
reeny

Postby reeny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 am

WOW!! Thanks so much everyone for all the amazing information and suggestions.. It is the best when you hear first- hand personal experiences..Now that I have heard all of your stories and experiences I have learned so much more in a few days than I have learned in months of researching random websites.. I honestly can't even tell you how many sites I was on that mentioned that emus reach their full size in 6 months...Is that crazy or what? But not knowing much about emus and trusting that the info I was getting initially was accurate this is what I thought to be true at first..as crazy as it sounds...and now I know better!

Thank you also for telling me about your experiences with having multiple emus and adding new ones to the group...

Well I am not thinking of doing anything until spring anyways and by then Twiggy will be almost a year old and I will have a better idea of what to do...
Twiggy has never met or even seen another emu...He was hatched and raised in an incubator ALONE until I got him.. (6 days old)
He is very sweet and gentle with the chooks who he now bunks with in the chicken coop..
I only have 6 chickens right now and Twiggy gets along great with all of them...as he was raised around them and doesn't really bother much with them...
Once in a while when he is in a playful mood he will chase them for a couple of minutes but I have never seen him be aggressive around any of them...
But I know he is still young and I am just praying that his/her personality won't change once he reaches maturity...
So next spring I was thinking of getting another chick and slowly introducing them when the chick is young...but of course with SUPERVISION...and allowing them to interact for short periods of time ALWAYS with supervision...I would NEVER leave them alone together just in case things go wrong....and just do that for a while and observe their behaviour in a controlled situation...
Our chickens are all bantams which are very small birds...especially our English Bantams..they are super tiny birds...
I am always extremely careful when introducing any new birds or animals here on our farm and it would be the same.. especially with Twiggy..
Well I will just wait and see...Spring is still a long time away...I didn't get Twiggy until the end of May 2013...So there is still tons of time make decisions.

I thank you all so much again for any feedback and any stories...All your replies are very informative and interesting...and I am learning a great deal...Also PIctures!!! I always love to see any Pictures that any of you have of your emus...especially interacting with each other or people..
Hey Pat just to answer your question...I ended up just getting my pics printed in town and scanning them and uploading them when I got home...The USB cable did not work..or anything else..and believe me I spent hours trying everything.. The cell phone I have right now is a loaned phone from the company while my phone is in for repair...I am hoping to get my own phone back this weekend..so hopefully it will work out better than the loaner that I have right now...
My beloved Canon camera is out of commission right now and I miss it terribly...I used to get such amazing pics on that camera.. Oh well the cell phone will have to do for now.icon-sad
Thanks again everyone!
I'd love to see some Emu pics
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:19 pm

reeny,

glad to hear you found info helpful. cutidead has more experience with emus than I did.

I know what you mean about different info on the web. I have found that with other animals also.
some of the (especially fox) info is just plain crazy and I know it is inaccurate icon_confused.gif

maybe with the emus, some had different experience and just speculating on the proper needs :shrug:

don't know if you seen these videos, they are all short clips of rocky with sybil and some of the other animals I had and have.
if you look at clip 6-7-8-10-11-12 it shows my rocky.
http://sybilsden.com/video/videomain.htm

you have time to think about getting another emu for twiggy.
in the meantime, I look forward to seeing twiggy updates.

hopefully, when you get your cell phone back, it will be easier and work better.
actually, the pictures you posted are nice and clear.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Cutitdead wrote:I first tried adding one male with her. I got her during winter, so was at end of mating season, as I wanted to see how it would go. He had been with my female and other male. For one he did not like being away from them, and all he wanted to do was chase her. So then I tried to put them all together, and both males would chase her. So then I put a feeder on top of the corner post between 2 pastures, and fed them all there. Did that for many months, and they would all 4 eat out of it (3) on one side and new female on other. So finally opened the gate between the 2 this summer. Right now it is still open. The pasture new female (DeeDee) is in is mostly wooded, and she knows that is her safe place. So if one of them chases her, she runs in there and they leave her alone. I have noticed though, as my oldest male gets older, he HATES my wife. Shelly (wife) has long dark hair, and we finally think that is what upsets Dedo. Full grown emus will hunt and kill young emus in the "dark head" stage. Kinds of like Twiggy is in. So all we can think is he relates that to her. I think I may sell Dedo and Ume, if I can find a good buyer. Just to hard to handle all by myself. This time of year Shelly cannot go in pasture. He has already kicked a gate into Shelly once, and then other time cornered her, kicked her, and cut her stomach through a sweatshirt and sweat pants. He is Bi-Polar I think, One mine fine, next minute all pissed off.

how old were the emus that you tried putting the female in with? could age make a difference?
also, wonder if there was only 1 emu and tried putting them together?

that is really weird that the male all of a sudden don't like your wife. how old is he?
I can really understand re-homing the mean one. it is not worth keeping him if he is that aggressive with your wife.
I honestly never heard of emus getting that aggressive. I know the male rheas are impossible. but, on another note,
there don't seem to be a lot of emu owners.

thank you for your info. much appreciated.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 am

Like Cutitdead I did some reading around and now feed my Emus half layer pellets and half rabbet pellets mixed together. They seem to like it and both together seem to mimic what was in the dedicated ratite and emu feeds. The big bonus is the feed stores always have layer pellets and rabbit pellets in stock and on hand, so no need to hassle with special orders. Much cheaper too.

And if you supplement the above with healthy treats and/or pasture, I don't see how you wont have healthy emu.

If you get a 2nd Emu just have a plan to keep it separate from the other incase they don't get along, you just never know with these kinds of animals. My 2 year old emu absolutely tried to kill my two 5 month old emus when I first brought them home. I wont be try to put them together until the younger emus reach their full size.

Emus can be very affectionate pets. My older Emu just loves to be close to me and have me pet him or give him attention.
reeny

Postby reeny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:00 am

Thank you Nicophorus. I appreciate your reply...I will definetly keep the rabbit pellets in mind for when he gets older..I will just keep him on the grower pellets for now .. Do you have any pics you could share?

This is the thing with me...I have NEVER seen an adult emu in person before...only in pictures...If I could ever find anyone with an emu or an emu farm close to me I would be over there in a heartbeat..
When I got Twiggy he came delivered ...we actually met half way because this person lived so far away and we had car issues at the time that wouldn't allow us to drive all the way to the persons house...as much as I would have loved to see his emus.
There is absolutely NO-One around here at all with emus..
We went to visit a small Zoo in the summer time that isn't too far away..and I was so I excited because the girl at the ticket booth said that they had emus...She told me the exact location so I immediately went to find them..I was SSSOOOO disappointed when they turned out to be Ostriches.. It was nice to see the Ostriches too but boy was I ever let down that they didn't have any emus. :-x

Oh PAT!!! I downloaded your video movies of Rocky and Sybil last night and it was so amazing!!! Thank you for suggesting that...I saw the video links before but we are still on dial-up over here and it takes FOREVER to download videos....Well I had to wait 45 minutes for each video but it was well worth the wait...I have never seen anyone with a pet bear before...Over here in Ontario we have a very strict by-law against keeping any wildlife or exotic pets...
I absolutely LOVED seeing all the animals together ...and Sybil sharing her meal with Rocky...Rocky was beautiful.. I can only imagine how much you miss him.. And Sybil!!! Oh my what a cutie! I love the way she was sitting so sweetly at the table eating her meal...I thought that was so funny...My kids and husband got a big kick out of it too!! Thank you.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:51 am

Nicophorus

thank you for chiming in. the more info we gather, the more helpful for emu owners and lovers.

I agree, it is not a good idea to put younger emus with older ones. either way, they need introductions, but, like you said,
more at the adult age. once both are adults, it is best to let them see each other thru a fence for awhile.

I would love to see pictures of yours.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 am

reeny,

my local zoo has emus, so I got to see them in person. actually, I originally wanted an ostrich. but, after research,
I decided against them. so, I got the next best thing "emus". glad I did. the rheas were completely different than the
emus. they don't have the personality that a emu does. the male rheas are impossible to tame.

Even if you don't find a emu farm, you have twiggy, and will learn from him, and see how nice they can be.
but, you already know that. all this emu talk, I really would love to get one again. but, want a baby like you have.

I have a full video of sybil and the other animals. I have been wanting to add them to youtube, but, can't get the time. icon-sad
it has been a real learning experience raising all these animals. my bears were a real challenge. except the male, got him the following year I got sybil. sybil was almost wild when I got her. the breeders pulled her from momma the day I bought her :roll:

many states in the U.S are now banning bears, tigers etc. all because of the incident in zanesville ohio.
:roll:

hopefully, the emus will be classed as a farm animal.

reeny

Postby reeny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Pat, Yes the emus in Ontario are classed as a farm animal..I definitely looked into this before Twiggy came home...Thank goodness for that! I would love to see the full video of Rocky that you are talking about...but Utube for some reason doesn't download well on my comp...if you ever have the time and you can add it with your other clips I would love that...this worked well on my comp.
I really loved watching them ! :thank:
Well Twiggy is sitting at my back door pecking at the door...He wants me to get off the computer and go sit with him... He is such a sweetheart.
Gotta love emus!
I really hope you get another one Pat! Lots more stories and pictures to share..and another big goofy bird to love! icon-smile

Return to “RATITES”