PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

FIRST AID FOR MY EMU

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Mechillemybell

FIRST AID FOR MY EMU

Postby Mechillemybell » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm

I have a young emu that has a swollen foot, he is walking with a limp. I do see some swelling above his toes on the top of the foot, no cuts but looks to be sprain.....is there anything I can or should Do....I am a new emu owner, live in the sticks of northern Michigan.....cattle farmers :)

Any advice would be a blessing, I have raised this little guy since he was a baby.
Nicophorus

Re: FIRST AID FOR MY EMU

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Is the foot hot/infected or just a physical injury? If the former give it anti biotics, if the later then so long as the animal can still walk, isolate it in a smaller pen were it can take it easy and let the foot heal.
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:54 pm

He will not let me touch his foot, my daughter thinks it may be an injury because she did witness him trying to flap his way over to the horse, and there is a large gate that separates them :-/
He is limping on it. I don't see any signs of infection as far as I can see but what kind of antibiotics and how much of them and where would I get them..Oh and how would I give them???? Thank you so much.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:49 am

Mechillemybell

how old is your emu? if you cannot see any type of injury, then you shouldnt need the antibiotics.
he could have sprain or twisted it. as Nicophorus mentioned, you should try and keep him confined for awhile.

since his foot is swollen, I am really not sure if he can be given any type of anti-inflammatory. :shrug:
if you have a vet that could answer that, call and ask.

can you put ice on it for awhile?

also, are you giving him any type of ivomec? it comes in a paste for maintenance. fall is usually the worse time for the
mengerie worm.

keep us updated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:38 pm

ZALI is just 1....I checked on him an now I think it may be menagerie worm the swelling has moved up a bit....Will the iconic cure him or Do I need to get something else too? I love him so much, he was given to me and I knew nothing about emus...I have grown to lovw him so much.
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Will iconic cure the menagerie worm?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Mechillemybell wrote:Will iconic cure the menagerie worm?

I don't know what iconic is. sorry.

ivomec injection if you think he might have the menagerie worm.
I have lost several emus from this. it is not a pretty site to see,

the reason I say ivomec injection, cause it works faster, and if you think your emu has this, this horrible parsite spreads very quick.

the first couple emus I got from a zoo. can't remember how many, but, I know I lost several of them from this parasite.
at that time, I also lack a lot of the understanding of emus.

on another note, there is still a chance your emu might not have it.
how far up from his foot? I could be wrong, but, I don't think it starts in the foot.
usually, the first sign is when the emu starts to lose his balance or acts as though he is a little drugged.
it was been quite a few years ago, so I really can't remember the exact symptoms.

I hope your emu will be OK. please keep him confined for now. just in case he did sprain or twist his foot or ankle.

forgot to mention, the ivomec is sold at most farm stores. TSC also carries it.

Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Ivomec would be a good start, I agree with Pat. I have never had a problem with worms, but I hear it is terrible.

The sooner you get it in, the better!!!!
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:50 am

Ok so sorry this silly spell correct on my kindle......I did give him the ivomec. I am having a very hard time finding a vet for him....I live in northern Michigan. He will not let me touch his foot, he keeps kicking it behind whom, like he's shaking something off....I am wondering if he has something in his foot or if the swelling is just bothering him. He is eating his favorite foods :-)
Anymore words of wisdom...or a known vet in my area would be a God send!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 am

Do you live just up North or in the UP? I might be able to hunt around for vets for you.
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 am

I live in the lower " mitten" :-) near Cadillac or Traverse City, Michigan.

I am going to call a vet that has made farm calls to our time "poor" farm :-) for our grand daughter's horse once, maybe he would be willing to come out again to look at Zali. I am wondering if maybe he has something in his foot..the bottom.....my teenager told me that she may have dropped a nail several weeks ago while putting up a wooden grain feeder :-(

Maybe the vet would need to tranquilizer Zali long enough to look at the bottom of his foot. But what if he knows nothing about emus....What if.....UGHHHH!!! I need to stay positive and pray for the right person to be able to help me...like this forum has helped me.....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Please keep your words of wisdom and encouragement coming :-)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 am

if your emu is not making any change for the worse, then that could be a good sign he don't have mengeri worm.

if you could find a vet, that would put your mind at ease. most likely, they will have to sedate him to look at his foot.
try this link and see if you can find a vet near you: http://www.veterinarians.com/mi/
(just type in your zip code at the top) all you can do is call any that are near you and ask.

some areas have mobile vets. but, they are more money.

I hope everything works out. please keep us updated.

Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Alright, hopefully that works out with that vet.

If not, I couldn't find any vets that far up that I know for sure will treat emus, but I did find this:
http://michemu.tripod.com/id3.html

It is a membership association so they might not help you out unless you are a member, but perhaps you could contact the person from Midland or Montague since they might be the closest to you if you're around Traverse City.

Other than that, I can't seem to find anything. ): Sorry
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 am

It could be something as simple as he stepped on a tac or thorn or something. You need to examine the whole foot closely. I'd have someone hold him down for you (gently grab from behind, I use the wings as gentle hand holds and then force the emu down onto the ground and straddle his back) and grab a hold of that foot and check every inch of it.

I hope you can find someone experienced in handleing emus up there to help you. Some of the things you said really make me think he has a thorn or something embedded in his foot..
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Here is the latest update on Zali, my 1 yr old emu. He is doing much better, I took all of your advice and confined him into a dry, warm and smaller space, gave him the ivomec and checked out his foot as best I could....I guess my original thought of him injuring his foot while doing his cRaZy dance as he flew into the gate and smacked his foot VERY hard. It is almost back to normal size.
Thank you all so very much for your words of wisdom and of encouragement, I am blessed to have found this website and forum.

Blessings,
Mechille

Return to “RATITES”