PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Noticed white stuff on lower/under eye of my female emu.

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Mechillemybell

Noticed white stuff on lower/under eye of my female emu.

Postby Mechillemybell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 pm

This is my first year, I have 1 breeding pair and a single young male.

I just noticed a white color under my females eye, on the lower lid or a little below. I don't see any swelling but wondering if it could be infection. Any ideas on what it might be or how to treat?
I can upload a picture of her in the morning. I am in the USA. Michigan.
Nicophorus

Re: Noticed white stuff on lower/under eye of my female emu.

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:46 pm

yeah a pic would help
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:13 am

2014-03-22_12_11_18.jpg

Here's the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:11 am

I don't have an emu and the pic is tiny for me and wont open any bigger but I'm willing to say it's likely a mild eye infection. You can pic up teramiacin eye ointment at most feed stores to treat it. The trick would be getting it into the eye twice a day for a week or two. We used it a lot on the goats.

If you see a vet they can write or call in a prescription for the human eye drops which may or may not be easier. When Pua was young she used to get eye infections and for me the drops were easier as I could sneak a drop in when she was cuddling with me but not get the ointment anywhere near her open eye. The poor girl got it so bad once she woke up "blind" from the gunk sealing her tiny eyes shut. Washed with wam water and she could open them and see again though. Glad she grew out of that.

Not sure which would work best for you but at least the ointment isn't expensive and doesn't require a vet so you could try that first.
Mechillemybell

Postby Mechillemybell » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:41 am

Ok, I'll try it thank you so much. I'll post how it goes...She doesn't like to cuddle but I will try anything.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Just to clarify, because I am sometimes not clear enough I'm talking about antibiotic eye drops. The teramiacin is basically the same thing but in an ointment form, which if you can get it in is actually better because it stays in long than the drops. I just could never get it in her tiny eye.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58 am

Mechillemybell wrote:Ok, I'll try it thank you so much. I'll post how it goes...She doesn't like to cuddle but I will try anything.

if you have a hard time getting drops in eye, can you have someone hand feed her, and at the same time, you can might be able to get the drops in her eye.

for now, you can try wiping it with a warm cloth until you get the drops TG suggested.

let us know how she is doing.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “RATITES”