https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pet Emu (f) - Blood in Stool & Panicky Behavior

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

allatti2d

Pet Emu (f) - Blood in Stool & Panicky Behavior

Postby allatti2d » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi All,
I'm so thankful for this forum, and the internet! This morning I found my female pet emu (named Jasmine), who is almost 17 yrs old, running like crazy and breathing hard, in some kind of panic mode as if she was really frightened, or I suspect in pain. She wasn't calm enough for me to do a physical exam, but I did notice she was having a lot of very liquid stools and she was so anxious that the streams would occasionally hit her feet. All this is not normal for her. I saw there was also blood in the stool -- a redness that I'd never seen before, so assume it's blood.

I have a second bird, a male, that we adopted from our neighbor 2 weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I could tell the difference in their droppings between the two birds, since I'd watched her poop several times this morning while this was happening. Something else I found elsewhere in the yard was a wet white and yellow dropping, that looked like a soft-boiled egg that had been squeezed through a hose. There was no blood or stool at all in this white thing, so not sure if it came from her "egg vent" or somewhere else.

The background is important here, I believe... we've had her since she was 3 weeks old, back in 1998, along with a male emu (named Bruce) who was killed by wild dogs about 9 years ago, and until then had been her mate and sole companion. Jasmine was in the middle of laying season when this happened; she was also attacked by the dogs but her injuries were fairly minor, and she stopped laying eggs that day and has not laid any since then.

Now we have a new male (named Connor), not sure of his age -- maybe around 15 yrs old -- and we were hoping that her body might remember how to lay eggs again since they were pretty immediately ready to mate. I have two thoughts about her current ailment... either she did try producing an egg but incorrectly without the shell being formed (or maybe it broke inside her?), or perhaps she picked up a piece of glass or nail or sharp stone or other hazard and that is why she appears to have some blood in her stool. I don't know if it's coming from her rectum or her egg vent. I also found blobs of mucus on the ground without any color to tell me where it came from -- the droppings are almost always green so it's recognizable if it came from her rectum, I think.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I think a bloody stool is a bad sign in any animal. Everything I've read about egg-bound birds doesn't jive with her behavior; she isn't lethargic at all, but rather the opposite in running and being panicky. This has been going on for hours now, though the last time I looked out there she had calmed down a bit and was walking around with Connor. I'll be going back out as soon as I post this, but I'm hoping in the meantime someone might have some thoughts about this, and how I may be able to help her (if possible). Has anyone seen this panicky behavior like this, when there's no threat or predator around? The last time I saw her behaving like this was when those wild dogs got into the yard and attacked her and Bruce, and that was years ago. I'm very upset and perplexed.

Thank you for reading all this! I hope someone has a good idea or experience to share. xx
allatti2d

Re: Pet Emu (f) - Blood in Stool & Panicky Behavior

Postby allatti2d » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:23 pm

Update - she has calmed down in the evening and has a gash on her foot - probably from running around in a panic. Still won't be still enough to let me examine her. But she did eat some, so that's a good sign. I saved the white thing I found on the ground, put it in a baggie in the fridge to show my husband. He thought it looked like semi-cooked egg as well, and said maybe she had the emu version of a miscarriage. I hope this turns out to be nothing, but I won't be sure for a few more days.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pet Emu (f) - Blood in Stool & Panicky Behavior

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Could be the egg broke inside her and what you found was some she manage to discharge. See a vet about antibiotics. You might get a stool sample check as well just to be sure of other infections going on.

http://www.lovelygreens.com/2013/05/wha ... r-hen.html

Return to “RATITES”