ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Sexing Rheas

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

wrighty

Postby wrighty » Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 am

Gosh thanks Chance......really really really helpful info. :D I have bought an incubator now which fits in about 9 rheas eggs - put 7 in last night! :bear
Not hoping for much but worth a try.

Massive thanks again..........

Carrie x

:D

ps. soo sorry to hear about your ostrich - she looks really cute too. Good luck for this year.
wrighty

Postby wrighty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 am

Just an update.....

I managed to find an incubator big enough, but not too pricey, to hold 9 rhea eggs. I set 7 eggs - after candling only 2 well fertile. Its now day 37 and still no signs of hatching. I keep holding the eggs next to my ear but hear nothing - do you think there is still hope? I read somewhere that if there is no signs of life on day 39 you can open them with some success - really not overly keen on doing this as I think seeing a dead rhea chick really would upset me. One thing though is that when I pick the eggs up and turn them gently I can feel like a thud inside???

The incubator is running at 36 degrees C and humidity approx 20 - 25%.
Sounds daft but I have even bought a stethoscope off ebay so that I could listen to the egg....not arrived yet though hoping it will come today.

Any advice would be great and thanks in advance.

Carrie x
:)
ps. I apologise if I am driving everyone nuts!! :lol:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:38 pm

I have never incubated eggs, so I really don't know much about it.

I guess it don't hurt to leave the eggs a little longer.

let me know updates.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
wrighty

Postby wrighty » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks for that - I did wait a little longer and I now have Rolo, a grey baby. :bear
Unfortunately the other chick didnt make it out of the egg - I opened it and it had absorbed the yolk sac but did not have a healed navel - what do you think is the cause of this?

Anyway Ill post some pics soon. :D

Massive thank you to this forum - its helped me no end! :D

Carrie x

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 am

carrie,

congratulations :bear

remember, these guys are very fragile.
make sure it has proper heat and food.
try to feed him/her the same brand for awhile.

I don't really know why the other one didn't survive.

really glad this board is of help to you.
it is to me too........
lots of great and helpful members here.

keep me posted on the baby.

wrighty

Postby wrighty » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. :D

Taken a few shots today and Rio wanted in on the action - you can really see the size difference of the two.

Sorry for more photos!

Carrie x

sueBear

Postby sueBear » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm

ah he is adorable!!!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm

what great pictures.

I especially like the one with your dog.

the baby looks very healthy.

keep us updated.

wrighty

Postby wrighty » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:22 am

Hi guys,

Sadly Rolo died today. Really heartbroken as he was a proper character.
Not sure what went wrong but he just stopped eating and I could not tempt him with anything. I ended up feeding him with a syringe but still became weak.

Just want to thank everyone for their support and help - it really has been appreciated.

Carrie x

:cry:
BB

Postby BB » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear of Rolos sudden death. I had that happen with a little gosling, they look really healthy one minute and suddenly they won't eat any more. Unfortunately I can't explain it either, I just know its heart breaking.
He looked like such a great little guy
:cry:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:49 am

wrighty

rheas are very difficult to raise. they are very fragile within three months of their live.

don't blame yourself. I had the same problem. the babies looked fine, but, end up all dieing. :cry:

they have to be kept warm and dry and should not be put on straw within three months of age. but, I cann't say this is why they die.

sorry to hear about the loss of your baby..

Nicophorus

Re: Sexing Rheas

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 am

Ok this is a old thread but reading through it leaves me with some questions. Im unsure how the mods like to deal with old threads, bump them or start new threads?

Anyways, lets see if I can remember all the questions/comments I had while reading through this.

1. White Rhea/Grey Rheas: Is it basically understood that the grey rhea are far more tame then the white? I saw that mentioned a few times.

2. Rhea male/females: I keep reading about how agressive the males are, what about the females? Am I to understand that the females do not attack? Are more Emu-tame like?

3. Rhea/Emu together: A few people seemed to mention they kept these two kinds of birds together. So there is no problem with this? Do even the male Rhea get along with and leave the male/female Emu alone? Would be great if I could pasture Rhea/Emu together and not have to worry about keeping them seperate.

4. Emu die offs: I vaccinate my Emu with the same vacinations I do on my Donkey to protect against EEE/WEE/West Nile and maybe some other stuff. Its a combo horse type vaccine. I'm sure it can get expensive if you have a large flock. My Emu is such a tame and beloved pet though, Im not taking a chance with him, especially here in Florida where those diseases seem to be abundant. I also worm my Emu because god knows possums and racoons creep around everywhere at night and those animals carry some bad stuff that birds are vulnerable to.

5. What happened to Chance's Cassowary? Pat, you seemed to know but the thread does not say and I cant find it elsewhere. What was the story behind his Cassowary? I like these birds too.

6. Someone lost part of their thumb to a Rhea???? So a Rhea bite can break the skin? I kind of thought their beaks were like Emu's and used for just scooping and picking things up whole to swallow, not to break apart/tear/shred.

7. The value/use of Rheas. Doing some searching and reading about them, I'm getting the impression that they are about as valuable as Llamas. I.E. no value beyond pet/ornamental value.

Searching some recent adds, ive seen them advertised for as low as $50.00 each. This is making me think if I do get them, I better restrict myself to 2 or 3 at the most, for my own pleasure and to make sure I only have a few offspring per year that I have a resonable chance to sell off. Everyone agree? (same deal with Emus, I'm sure, which is why I only want to have a trio or so of them too) Would not suprise me at all to find people just wanting to rehome Rhea for free, in the same manner you sometimes see Emu and Llama (and many other things, people should be more smart in what they choose to breed and in what numbers).

8. What happened to chance's web site? Seems to be down, is he still in the business with a new web site? Just curious.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:02 pm

1. White Rhea/Grey Rheas: Is it basically understood that the grey rhea are far more tame then the white? I saw that mentioned a few times.

It is possible, but, I personally am not sure. I had the white and grey.
when the male grey started to get aggressive, he was put down.
where the white, lived longer.
personally, I would not trust the grey or white males.

2. Rhea male/females: I keep reading about how agressive the males are, what about the females? Am I to understand that the females do not attack? Are more Emu-tame like?

the rhea females are not aggressive. but, really are not pet quality either.
rheas are not near as tame or friendly as emus. the females will peck at your hand, or whatever, and they are not gentle about it. never wear any type of jewelry around rheas, they seem to be attracted to it. females are not aggressive like the males, just kind of stupid.

3. Rhea/Emu together: A few people seemed to mention they kept these two kinds of birds together. So there is no problem with this? Do even the male Rhea get along with and leave the male/female Emu alone? Would be great if I could pasture Rhea/Emu together and not have to worry about keeping them seperate
yes, mine were all together. best to get them when they are young. or do a intro first.
but, for emus and rheas to get along, it is best to have them in a very large area.
if kept in too small pen, the rhea might kill the emus. this happened to someone I know.

4. Emu die offs: I vaccinate my Emu with the same vacinations I do on my Donkey to protect against EEE/WEE/West Nile and maybe some other stuff. Its a combo horse type vaccine. I'm sure it can get expensive if you have a large flock. My Emu is such a tame and beloved pet though, Im not taking a chance with him, especially here in Florida where those diseases seem to be abundant. I also worm my Emu because god knows possums and racoons creep around everywhere at night and those animals carry some bad stuff that birds are vulnerable to.

it is best to treat them for worms. I think it is mostly the mengeri (sp) worm they are vulnerable to.
I think (not positive) that these type of worms are actually from deer. you can also treat your emu with a ivermec or safeguard paste.

5. What happened to Chance's Cassowary? Pat, you seemed to know but the thread does not say and I cant find it elsewhere. What was the story behind his Cassowary? I like these birds too.
chance's cassowary died, cause was unknown. chance found him dead one day in his pen.
chance was going to breed him, but, obviously, come to a hault after he died.
I think these birds are expensive. also, they are very aggressive. worse than the rheas.

6. Someone lost part of their thumb to a Rhea???? So a Rhea bite can break the skin? I kind of thought their beaks were like Emu's and used for just scooping and picking things up whole to swallow, not to break apart/tear/shred.
that was me that the white rhea bit my thumb.
he took a small chunk, fortunately, I was able to pull away fast enough so it wasn't worse.

male rheas are very agressive, and can be dangerous and hard to work with.
my hubby use to feed them, he had to put a feed sack over the male rheas head just to be able to
go in the pen to feed the other guys.

can't remember for sure the difference in a rhea and a emu beak. I think the shape is different.
the problem is, because of the male rheas are so agressive, their beaks can break skin and bruise.

7. The value/use of Rheas. Doing some searching and reading about them, I'm getting the impression that they are about as valuable as Llamas. I.E. no value beyond pet/ornamental value.

guess there is no demand for rheas anymore. long time ago some people thought they were going to make a fortune on the rheas and emus. but, later found out, there was not a good market for them.
sometimes I see grown rheas at the auction. not sure why anyone would want them, except to butcher them. they can be used for their meat, oils and feathers, like the emus are.
again, they do not make good pets at all.(my opinion)

Searching some recent adds, ive seen them advertised for as low as $50.00 each. This is making me think if I do get them, I better restrict myself to 2 or 3 at the most, for my own pleasure and to make sure I only have a few offspring per year that I have a resonable chance to sell off. Everyone agree? (same deal with Emus, I'm sure, which is why I only want to have a trio or so of them too) Would not suprise me at all to find people just wanting to rehome Rhea for free, in the same manner you sometimes see Emu and Llama (and many other things, people should be more smart in what they choose to breed and in what numbers).

yes, if found, the rheas are cheap now. I personally don't understand why you would want any.
keep in mind, if you have male rheas, I don't recommend going in the pen, except to feed them.
even at that, is not real safe.

from what I can remember, seems the male rheas were very protective of their flock.
the males would fan out his winds as though he was protecting the others.
but, on another note, this is not always why they are agressive.
a friend of mine had only one male rhea and nothing else. he was very agressive.
they end up killing it.

8. What happened to chance's web site? Seems to be down, is he still in the business with a new web site? Just curious.
I have no idea. I looked at it too and noticed that. I tried emailing him awhile ago, but, never got a response.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks Pat, lots of good info.

Return to “RATITES”