Food and Snack ideas

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Food and Snack ideas

Postby pat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Nutritional discoveries of what your ratite companions like to eat.

Ideas on food, snacks or whatever your ratites like to eat that is nutritional

lets share some info on this subject...
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
BB

Postby BB » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:04 am

No one seems to write anything here and I'm not quite sure if my listings of preferred food is classed as nutritional!
Slinkie loves bread and cheese, sometimes he eats apples and boiled egg, he goes into the chook pen to steal the leftover grains and likes anything with cooked vegetables (like potato bake)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:53 am

foods they will eat is fine.

veggies.. thats great. mine didnt eat veggies.

mine would eat:
pototoe salad
macoroni salad
scrambled eggs
apples

(never thought of a baked potatoe) :lol:
did you put butter on it for him?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Garner

Postby Garner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:54 pm

How old do they need to be before you give them snacks?
EdwardTheEMU

Postby EdwardTheEMU » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:50 pm

my emu is a little less than two years old, and he has an interesting appetite....
-he LOVES frozen peas, thawed out and rinsed in a dtrainer...he goes crazy for them...we give about a cup of them once a day
-sliced apples...he eats these so quickly!!
-for $4 at the dollor store we get him dry dog food, and this is his common food that we feed him two or three cups of twice a day
-zucchini, boiled a little so its soft but not mushy- we had a garden of monster sized zucchini, and onethat was deformed we experimented giving to him, and he loved it!!!!
-canned green beans...not very cheap but worth it
-soft, cooked baby carrots
-Strawberries

DIDNT like:
-surprisingly not a fan of actual emu food, which im surprised we found!!
-oranges- we cut one up(without the peel) and gave it to him
-Scrambld eggs- we tried this today, actually. i heard about it on here last night....he stuck his beak in the bucket and shook his head to get it out of his mouth (an interesting and funny gesture he does when he doesnt like something...with the oranges he grabbed a huge mouthful, and hated them, sending them flying everywhere his head shook)
-corn-like soft, canned corn/taken off the cobb(though he would eat whole corn, he just couldnt digest it)

at one point this summer, after getting loose and going through a dramatic re-capture, he wouldnt eat anything, he was in so much shock. ... we attempted to feed him anything we could get our hands on for protein, and it turned out, after trying sooo much, he loves his peas! that was the best....so i suggest any emu owners give it a try!!!
EdwardTheEMU

Postby EdwardTheEMU » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm

oh and by the way he also loves to eat colorful cereals such as fruit loops and fruity pebbles....we normally feed this to the goats when it goes stale, but edward loved iit because of the colors, so now he gets all of the stale cereals! he also loved cheerios.....this could get xpensive, so he only gets it as a treat when it doesnt get eaten in the house!
K3Simm

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby K3Simm » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I just bought a pair of emus and they are fed alfalfa pellets and chicken feed(its a granule, not a scratch feed)
Mechillemybell

Re: Food and Snack ideas

Postby Mechillemybell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 am

Just thought I would share ...Zali (1 yr old male) loves bananas....canned corn....canned carrots and chopped up grass.
reeny

Re: Food and Snack ideas

Postby reeny » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

I love all the great suggestions! I have tried most of what people have posted and boy my Twiggy sure is a picky one.!!! Twiggy just turned 7 months so maybe his tastes will change as he matures..
Well he certainly loves his bread..not sure how good that is for him though? He loves corn...and yes Pat he loves Potato salad too!!! LOL...
He also loves leftover Kraft dinner...which we have no shortage of around here with two young boys!
I tried the cooked baby carrots and canned peas and he did not like them...just dropped them...I tried apples and he also shook his head and spit them out.
Last summer when he was a baby he loved watermelon!
HHmmm. well I will keep trying him with things ...and post any new food that he discovers he likes... everyone else please keep the suggestions coming..It is very helpful! As I know how all of us emu lovers like to spoil our babies with treats! :-)

Return to “RATITES”