PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bare skin is blue in areas! Help!

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nicoeflein

Bare skin is blue in areas! Help!

Postby nicoeflein » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm

I recently, just yesterday actually, received a pair of wonderful adult 4 year old Emu. They were the runts of the large Emu flock I received them from, and both have bare skin/missing feathers. The female has a huge bare patch, it is almost the entire length of the curve of the back near the "tail" feathers. The patch is sprouting little feather spikes, and looks clean and healthy skin.
The male has a smaller patch of missing feathers, and the feathers are growing back in. The only issue is that the skin is a light blue in color in a blotchy area of the skin, and around the blue is healthy looking pinkish skin, and all of the skin has a little feather spikes. I live in Southeast Wisconsin, and the temp here is generally the coldest it gets here, 15 below zero F. It was cold! The Emus didn't seem to care, they frolicked through the 5 inch snow chasing my goats around when I opened the Emu door this morning. I am just worried about the blue skin, if it is frost bite, or just some sort of "natural" bare skin behavior, like a bruise maybe? The man has had them for their entire lives, and in Wisconsin, but I, never seeing this before, am concerned! It has been blue since I picked up the Emus at the old owner's property, and has not expanded or gotten worse since I have had them.
Any ideas? Any ideas would help greatly! Thanks for reading.

N
Lasergrl

Re: Bare skin is blue in areas! Help!

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Sounds like a bruise. Could have happened in transport. Bird bruise very easily.
nicoeflein

Postby nicoeflein » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks for the information, I am thinking the same thing, because the man I got them from is a little rough with his "pets," and he wanted to butcher the two I bought, even though it is because of his other, dominant birds he keeps in too small of a yard! He even said that he is trying to find some females, because he thinks that he doesn't have any, :cool: Guess not . . .
Also, the man put a "ring," it looks like a white band maybe 3 inches wide around the males neck :| to tell that he is a male , how do I get it off? Should I just force the male down with man power and then see what is really going on with that ring?

N
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Should I just force the male down with man power and then see what is really going on with that ring?

not a good idea.. if you get kicked, the claw can be pretty dangerous.

what is the ring made of? do you have something like wire or bolt cutters that would cut it off?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “RATITES”