PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Rhea breeder

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Botat

Rhea breeder

Postby Botat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Is ther anyone in Utah or Idaho that Sells Rhea eggs and chicks? I may be interested in getting some eggs or chicks. :peng:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rhea breeder

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm currently living in Utah and I have seen quite a few farms with emus and stuff like that. I'll ask around and see if anyone has rheas and if they sell chicks. I'll also ask people where I intern. They may know.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Botat

Postby Botat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks, I am thinking about hatching some eggs to keep the hens, then find someone who would raise a male till he is older to see if that will affect the aggression.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Botat wrote:Thanks, I am thinking about hatching some eggs to keep the hens, then find someone who would raise a male till he is older to see if that will affect the aggression.

I don't think it will matter if you have the male solo. the males are just plain aggressive. some worse than others.
but, it did seem like the grays are not as bad as the white. but, I didn't keep my gray long enough to find out.
the white rhea was enough for me. when the gray starting showing aggression, he was done.

a friend of mine raised a gray male rhea solo. no other birds or animals around him.
but, he was still aggressive. it got to the point where enough was enough, they killed it.

but, who knows, maybe you will have little better luck.
let me know if you get rheas, I would be interested to know how they work out.

the emu's are much better and a lot more docile.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Sorry, I can't find anyone. That doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't anybody here, but that I haven't looked close enough. Let us know if you find someone. Sorry.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Botat

Postby Botat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 pm

I already have a wonderful pair of emus I have a few eggs on the incubator and a male incubating some. I'll see if maybe I can work with a male Rhea to get him less aggressive when he starts up, I know I will never get him to be tame as a dog, but maybe not aggressive.
Botat

Postby Botat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Oh and what I ment was not have him alone, but have his dad raise him till he is a bit older to know the difference between a rhea and a human, then work with him.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 am

Botat wrote:I already have a wonderful pair of emus I have a few eggs on the incubator and a male incubating some. I'll see if maybe I can work with a male Rhea to get him less aggressive when he starts up, I know I will never get him to be tame as a dog, but maybe not aggressive.

guess anything is possible. look at it as a challenge. If you do, let me know, I would sure be interested to know the outcome.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:47 pm

nicoeflein

Postby nicoeflein » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi,
Something to try regarding the aggressive male rhea. . . I care for a friend's rhea breeding colony and he has two males in the same "pasture." He found that when he has two, the dominant male hates him (like most rhea males) BUT the submissive male will protect him from the mean male. The two males do not fight often and keep their distance, but my friend is very appreciative of his second, nice male! That is an idea?

Return to “RATITES”