PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Reintroducing a wounded emu back into the colony

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tamarack

Reintroducing a wounded emu back into the colony

Postby Tamarack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:57 pm

My husband and I have 5 Emus and we live in the Pacific Northwest on our mixed farm with goats, sheep, chickens and runner ducks. They range from 9 to 10 months old. A week ago one of the younger birds got tangled in some fencing and when we found him the next morning he was bleeding on the thigh and lower legs. We called the Vet and he examined the emu and said he had feather loss and trauma and bruising to his skin but no serious cuts or breakage to bones. The vet said to isolate the emu use a heat lamp and treat as a open wound with antiseptic soap 3 or 4 times a day for a couple of days and then when the wounds are starting to heal spray with liquid bandage. This was done but the emu was very weak. I checked with my Minnaar Emu Books and started treating for stress. Twice a day our emu was given Pedialyte, Vitamin B complex, Fructose and yogurt, for three days. He has gained his strength back, the wounds are healing and he is eating pellets/drinking water freely. The stools were very foamy and bright green but are now more solid and getting to that normal gray color. He is still unsteady on his feet if in a slippery area or up against a fence. He wants to be back with his pals who he can see through the fence. I am worried about them picking on him and wonder how long he should be isolated and whether it would be a good idea to move one of the other small emus into his isolation pen for company and to test out whether there will be any aggression on the part of the healthier emu companion. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.
BB

Re: Reintroducing a wounded emu back into the colony

Postby BB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 am

Like you discovered already they are really good healers.
It really depends how the group was beforehand. I had three emus, two (my male and the younger female paired up) and my old female. The two females didn't get on at all, and when the young one got injured I faced the same problem.
But she was fretting to get to the male so I let them together and there was no problem at all. If I would have let the other female in, she would have been chased and re-injured again.
So it all depends on the previous pecking order, I guess.
Good luck!
Tamarack

Postby Tamarack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you BB for your advice. It confirms my thoughts that if you know your birds then you should follow your instincts. After my post last week I did try introducing the 2nd smallest from the original group of 5 into the isolation pen. That didn't go well. The 2nd smallest was very uncomfortable and wanted to return to the colony in a big way. In the isolation pen, which is an apple orchard about 3000 sq ft., he was not socializing with the injured bird at all, and seemed very threatened by the Nigerian goats and the chickens that are normally in that area. He spent his whole time chasing them and trying to defend himself (kicking etc). So I got him out of there and back with his pals as I didn't need another stressed bird. The injured emu is very comfortable with the other animals and I think they keep him company. At night he sleeps in a closed in structure out of the rain, with food, water and a heat lamp. His wounds are healing very well and he is eating and drinking and safe, so I'm happy in that regard. I am concerned however that he is still not getting very strong yet and I am starting to suspect that there is something else not right. I think it might be internal paracites and so am going to give 1cc of safeguard. It looks like this emu will not be going back to the colony for a while yet and perhaps I'm too impatient. Is there anything else that I should be considering? Thanks again.
BB

Postby BB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:39 pm

I think you doing all the right things. Maybe he needs worming?
What makes you think he's too weak? (I'm just asking because it didn't come across in your post but like you said yourself - don't underestimate your subconsciousness.)
Tamarack

Postby Tamarack » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 am

Well it has been a roller coaster ride, but our emu is still up and about. I was concerned about his size and weight as compared to one of his "litter" mates. So I thought I would improve his chances of recovery by eliminating the paracite possibility. His appetite goes up and down, however his mobility has improved and he is starting to whistle again and preen his feathers. The weight isn't going on however and his food comsumption is low compared to the others. Yesterday his stool was mucusy and green and one eye was weepy, so I made another call to the vet. He prescribed twice daily Baytril taken orally for bacterial enteritis (no blood in stool to indicate viral). The emu has now chosen to sleep with the 3 goats for company as he is not under a heat lamp any more (the weather has improved and he is soaking up some sun during the day). If this little guy makes it I'm going for my degree is emu husbandry!!

Return to “RATITES”