PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

No Eggs!

(Emus, Rheas, Ostriches, Cassowary)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lasergrl

Re: No Eggs!

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 pm

You will find alot of gamebird breeders having a terrible time with soy based food and no eggs being produced. It may be just anectodal but the numbers are so high of problems, seems likely.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 pm

The study cited on the soy site is likely within a certain range. Studies using large amounts do show effect.

There was also a Harvard study in 2006 saying it does effect sperm count in men.
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... 2584.short

Studies on soy and ovulation in women show it increases the cycle length(ovulate less often).
Soy protein (60 g containing 45 mg isoflavones) given daily for 1 mo significantly (P < 0.01) increased follicular phase length and/or delayed menstruation

http://www.ajcn.org/content/60/3/333.short

There's a study showing the same effects on female goats.

More detailed on soy and female rats http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1599000332

It was concluded that both dietary and parenteral estrogen can inhibit reproduction, but in order for phytoestrogen (BA) in natural feedstuffs to impair reproduction in bobwhites it would have to be consumed in excess of 1 mg/day.
Effects of Dietary and Parenteral Estrogens on Bobwhite Reproduction R. J. LIEN and J. R. CAIN

There are a lot of contradictory studies but they concentrate on smaller amounts in the diets.

But even without studies they would not be running around in the wild eating fields of soy beans or flax so are not meant to be exposed that high a level of plant estrogen.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 pm

The gamebird that I give my quail is made by kent and is 27% protein, so its got to have a lot of soybean meal in it. But feeding quail is being caught between a rock and a hard place, 28% is recommended for them and the only way to get that is soybean meal or fish meal and aside from being hard to get & is much more expensive fish meal also comes with a list of potential problems. That said, I haven't notice a problem with my quail laying eggs In fact my bobwhites are laying right now, which really surprised me. I didn't think they would lay in the winter. Fertility, I don't know. The studies I saw that gave problems were with the gm soybeans and really makes me wonder why genetically modified crops were approved before being tested for problems.
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Any increase in eggs yet? The weather has been screwy in NC, and sometimes that will affect them.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Good point could by types of soy make a difference there are a lot of conflicting studies and that could explain it if they aren't paying attention to which type of soy the study is using.
Cutitdead

Postby Cutitdead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:37 pm

To be honest, I have never heard of soy being a problem. That is not to say that it could not be. I just do not pay much attention to soy.

Mazuri's Emu Breeder feed has:
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein not less than........................23.0%
Crude fat not less than.................................3.0%
Crude fiber not more than............................8.0%
Calcium (Ca) not less then ........................1.70%
Calcium (Ca) not more than.......................2.50%
Phosphorus (P) not less than ....................1.00%
Salt (NaCl) not less than............................0.50%
Salt (NaCl) not more than..........................1.00%

With the main ingredients being: DEHULLED SOYBEAN MEAL, GROUND CORN

Mazuri is really good food, to hard for me to get and to expensize. I feed min rabbit feed mostly all year long, from a local mill, and all seems to be ok.

But I have talked to breeders here in NC. They all seem to say they have off years from time to time.
Robaroo

Postby Robaroo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi Cutitdead,
Your list is really close to what my emu are getting. They are starting to lay now, but not like I expected. I put out Ca for them to try if they like, we'll see what happens.
nicoeflein

Postby nicoeflein » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi,
I have a pair of Emu, and crushed oyster shells really helps with their calcium needs. It seems old school but it helps them as it helps my chickens and peafowl with egg production and egg quality. Any excess calcium is deposited in the fecal matter, so they can't "over dose" on it. This may help if your ratites haven't started laying productively yet. Ya gotta love emus!
Robaroo

Postby Robaroo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 am

Thanks Nicoeflien, I upped the amount of calcium they're getting and that seems to have made the difference. They sure are funny creatures.

Return to “RATITES”