PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Visiting a Fur Farm?

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

wolfforce58205

Visiting a Fur Farm?

Postby wolfforce58205 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 am

Call me weird, but I really have a desire to visit a fur farm (especially a fox one). Now, living in California the nearest I can get as far as I know is Oregon, but any attempts to contact fur farmers have been in vain. Only had addresses to work with, decided to mail a letter anyhow, and unsurprisingly nothing happened.

I was wondering how people did it; how do you find a fur farmer and get them to let you see their farm? I saw one other post on here where someone did that. I want to see for my self with my own eyes in person what conditions these animals live in, not rely on videos, word of mouth, and what the stated laws require for them to operate.

If anyone knows a fur farmer who would be willing to talk and meet with people, I would love to get in contact with them! Otherwise, yeah, how do you find and get a hold of someone who could let you in on a fur farm to see what they're really like?
w0lfygirl

Re: Visiting a Fur Farm?

Postby w0lfygirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I was at one over this summer vacation.
Granted they're never something nice to see, but some are better than others.
The one i went to kept the animals in cages they could move around in with a little bit over the moving space, some were with others, and their ages were widely varied, so the older ones i assume were mostly for breeding. All the animals there were well kept, fed, and weren't TOO vicious. Most of the animals ignored the fact that people were even there, which is likely because they're used to the humans being around and about their cages.
A couple were stressed but it was only a few and they were still kept taken care of. Fur farms that take care of them get better pelts from them and it's easier to breed them without kit/pup failure, so that's why they were taking care of them.
Regardless of that, it's still not nice to see, but it is relieving that some farms are better than others and that they're not all bad. Most videos you see, like the one with them being skinned alive, are fake and people are payed to do it, for many reasons this is obvious. So no, don't judge based off of that.
If the farmers treated them like pet's they'd get attached and wouldn't be able to kill the animals or live with the fact that they die, so they cant treat them like so or else they get no business or profit due to not being able to kill the animal and getting no fur to sell. I don't like the idea of the animals being kept this way but they no nothing different. So it's never going to be appealing to see a fur farm due to the fact that they're still not in conditions that most would agree with.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
wolfforce58205

Postby wolfforce58205 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:34 pm

w0lfygirl wrote:I was at one over this summer vacation.
Granted they're never something nice to see, but some are better than others.
The one i went to kept the animals in cages they could move around in with a little bit over the moving space, some were with others, and their ages were widely varied, so the older ones i assume were mostly for breeding. All the animals there were well kept, fed, and weren't TOO vicious. Most of the animals ignored the fact that people were even there, which is likely because they're used to the humans being around and about their cages.
A couple were stressed but it was only a few and they were still kept taken care of. Fur farms that take care of them get better pelts from them and it's easier to breed them without kit/pup failure, so that's why they were taking care of them.
Regardless of that, it's still not nice to see, but it is relieving that some farms are better than others and that they're not all bad. Most videos you see, like the one with them being skinned alive, are fake and people are payed to do it, for many reasons this is obvious. So no, don't judge based off of that.
If the farmers treated them like pet's they'd get attached and wouldn't be able to kill the animals or live with the fact that they die, so they cant treat them like so or else they get no business or profit due to not being able to kill the animal and getting no fur to sell. I don't like the idea of the animals being kept this way but they no nothing different. So it's never going to be appealing to see a fur farm due to the fact that they're still not in conditions that most would agree with.

Due to laws alone, I always figured fur farms can't be all that bad. They have more regulations on them than, say, meat farming most of the time, and if they treated the animals badly or if they were constantly stressed out they simply wouldn't produce good fur. I mean, my cat would shed clumps any time I did so much as get up too fast when she wasn't expecting it! lol It's annoying that you will usually only see polarized videos: either paid for videos or videos of horrendously cruel farms that deserved to be shut down (or even farms of different types that follow less strict laws...) like the stuff PETA puts out, or highlights put out by groups like Fur Commission USA that of course would only show the positives. Since learning more about the fur trade I can't really say I'm for nor against fur farming...the animals horribly lack enrichment, and despite what stress tests reveal I'm sure animals wouldn't mind bigger cages, but otherwise get their basic needs and live as well as an animal confined to a cage can, based on what I've read and seen in videos.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to visit a fur farm? Did you already know the person, or did you find them through research, or...? I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with me, but somehow I just feel it would be for my own good to go out there and see it for myself. I bought some mink fur rather recently at a thrift store and it just made me really think about how I should go and see how these animals live. Kind of the same reason why I buy local meat whenever possible, haha (the cows I eat literally live a few minute's drive west of me...I appreciate that I know what conditions they live in).

Thank you very much for replying to my post =)
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:34 pm

wolfforce58205 wrote:Due to laws alone, I always figured fur farms can't be all that bad. They have more regulations on them than, say, meat farming most of the time, and if they treated the animals badly or if they were constantly stressed out they simply wouldn't produce good fur. I mean, my cat would shed clumps any time I did so much as get up too fast when she wasn't expecting it! lol It's annoying that you will usually only see polarized videos: either paid for videos or videos of horrendously cruel farms that deserved to be shut down (or even farms of different types that follow less strict laws...) like the stuff PETA puts out, or highlights put out by groups like Fur Commission USA that of course would only show the positives. Since learning more about the fur trade I can't really say I'm for nor against fur farming...the animals horribly lack enrichment, and despite what stress tests reveal I'm sure animals wouldn't mind bigger cages, but otherwise get their basic needs and live as well as an animal confined to a cage can, based on what I've read and seen in videos.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to visit a fur farm? Did you already know the person, or did you find them through research, or...? I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with me, but somehow I just feel it would be for my own good to go out there and see it for myself. I bought some mink fur rather recently at a thrift store and it just made me really think about how I should go and see how these animals live. Kind of the same reason why I buy local meat whenever possible, haha (the cows I eat literally live a few minute's drive west of me...I appreciate that I know what conditions they live in).

Thank you very much for replying to my post =)

Yes, but some decide to break the laws or keep them at the minimum requirements which is pretty bad, a lot more die and just get thrown out or used for scrap when they don't or can't produce a good pelt.

I was driving around northern georgia, tennessee, and nouth/south carolina and we came across a fur farm and i wanted to stop by and check it out, my fam said i was sick and disgusting but just for the sake of me being able to get in my sister came with me since she was 18 and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't let minors in by themselves. I'm honestly not sure why they let us in but they did, i told them we'd never been to a fur farm and were curious and i guess since they kept all the animals in... decent conditions, they let us look?
That's entirely understandable, it would be cool if i could do the same but we don't really have farms and what not around here. I've always wondered how the animals and meat, and other foods that i eat, are handled.. :roll:
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
wolfforce58205

Postby wolfforce58205 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Yes, but some decide to break the laws or keep them at the minimum requirements which is pretty bad, a lot more die and just get thrown out or used for scrap when they don't or can't produce a good pelt.

I was driving around northern georgia, tennessee, and nouth/south carolina and we came across a fur farm and i wanted to stop by and check it out, my fam said i was sick and disgusting but just for the sake of me being able to get in my sister came with me since she was 18 and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't let minors in by themselves. I'm honestly not sure why they let us in but they did, i told them we'd never been to a fur farm and were curious and i guess since they kept all the animals in... decent conditions, they let us look?
That's entirely understandable, it would be cool if i could do the same but we don't really have farms and what not around here. I've always wondered how the animals and meat, and other foods that i eat, are handled.. :roll:

Well, I can tell you if you eat from local or smaller farms the animals live pretty well, haha. I see cow pastures all the time around here and a lot of the time I get pretty jealous of the places the cows get to live. My cow farm in particular even uses solar energy for running things like their water pumps and such, which is a bonus. Still would like to see where the cows get slaughtered, but at least I know they live well. Just big open green pastures. The farmer even has some videos on Facebook of the cows, like one where the bulls were playing with a tire, and others of the cows being excited when getting to go into a new pasture. Cows are pretty darned adorable when they want to be!

That's really neat though that the fur farmer just let you guys in. Maybe I'll try that if I ever manage to find a fur farm and drive past it. Who knows if it'll work, but hopefully the worst they could say is no. Thank you!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 pm

I personally do not recommend just dropping in at some random fur farm. Keep in mind that this is likely someone's private residence, or private property at least. To pop in uninvited is essentially the same as just showing up at a strangers house and asking if you can take a tour. Fur farmers are aware of the general attitude toward them and are likely not going to be comfortable letting a complete stranger who showed up for the heck of it into their farm.

If you really want to visit one, I suggest calling them rather than just showing up at their property.
wolfforce58205

Postby wolfforce58205 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:35 pm

the_unstable wrote:I personally do not recommend just dropping in at some random fur farm. Keep in mind that this is likely someone's private residence, or private property at least. To pop in uninvited is essentially the same as just showing up at a strangers house and asking if you can take a tour. Fur farmers are aware of the general attitude toward them and are likely not going to be comfortable letting a complete stranger who showed up for the heck of it into their farm.

If you really want to visit one, I suggest calling them rather than just showing up at their property.

Ah, didn't think about the point that they're generally someone's home property (if they're like other farms, anyhow)...=/ Do you know any way to find the phone number of a fur farmer? I can't figure that much out. Found some addresses on an anti-fur farming website, but no contact information.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:02 am

the_unstable wrote:I personally do not recommend just dropping in at some random fur farm. Keep in mind that this is likely someone's private residence, or private property at least. To pop in uninvited is essentially the same as just showing up at a strangers house and asking if you can take a tour. Fur farmers are aware of the general attitude toward them and are likely not going to be comfortable letting a complete stranger who showed up for the heck of it into their farm.

This is a note to take down. I kind of figured it would be like that, but i was pretty sure i'd never been near another one again in a long time if ever at all, so i went ahead and tried at least. to my luck they were pretty nice about it.
I guess they weren't to frantic about us trying to do them dirty since i'm young and me and my sister don't look very.. intimidating, and i guess they could see how excited i was to see the foxes.
Other than that i've never seen any, only pelts and tracks in the sandbanks of a creek that pretty much travels the area i live in, and wasn't allowed to get super close, but i was close enough to see them and their living situation. Part of me wanted to pet them, and part of me was realistic and knew that they weren't going to act like a pet and that regardless THAT wasn't going to happen.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:37 am

There's a mink farm I'm hoping to visit that's like ten minutes away. My dad's uncle (I just found out) lives almost next door, so I would like to pop over and take a look and see a fur farm for myself. I'm kind of excited, but also kind of nervous since I'm naturally shy, and I've never met my dad's uncle (don't even know his name!).

I think when my family comes back out, my dad and I can go visit with his uncle and we can ask about the farm and see if the owners would be willing to let us go and check out the mink. I want to bring my fur book with me.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:43 pm

Cool. Bringing the fur book could help show you are actually interested and not a threat.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Cool. Bringing the fur book could help show you are actually interested and not a threat.

That's what I was thinking too. I won't mention having pet foxes, because that might turn him off right away. I have no clue what to expect--like I don't know what colors he breeds for or anything. So it would be really neat to see what colors he has. Won't even ask to take pictures, because I'm certain that would be a red flag no matter what.

It's not like I'm planning to get a mink or anything, but there are no fox farms in Utah anymore, so if I want to visit a farm, this'll be the one.

In Utah there was a huge AR attack where ALF released like... 6000 mink. I definitely understand why people would be cautious out here especially.... But I'd like to befriend some fur farmers and get closer to the fur trade in general, so that I can have access to more fox colors.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”