PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Would you ever volunteer at an anti-ownership sanctuary?

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Neofelis

Would you ever volunteer at an anti-ownership sanctuary?

Postby Neofelis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:46 pm

It seems like the vast majority of sanctuaries, at least the ones around where I live, are anti-exotic ownership. I don't know that they go to the extent of being AR, as they advocate dog/cat ownership, but they still publish letters declaring that wild animals should not be pets etc etc.

I'd like to volunteer at a sanctuary to gain experience before owning my own exotics someday, so what would you suggest? Work for them or not?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Would you ever volunteer at an anti-ownership sanctuary?

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I volunteered at an anti-ownership sanctuary once, and ended up losing my internship just because I owned sugar gliders and they didn't like me. :roll:
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm

I might if they allowed me to just to have the experience, but... I'm afraid they wouldn't recommend me or vouch for me if they were aware that I had exotic animals.

So likely no, but I might if it were really close and they were otherwise friendly.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Well, there's a difference between not wanting people to go out and buy/take wild animals as pets and people who want to legally purchase, care for and own an exotic pet specifically bred to be a pet. So I guess I would ask just exactly what they mean by being "anti-exotic ownership". Of course, if they thought ALL exotic pets are "wild animals" and would do just dandy by being released "back" into the wild, I would laugh at them :lol:
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 pm

No, I would not.

I would talk to the management first to find out what their views are. If they are hypocritical fundamentalist like one zoo keeper I recently spoke to then no I would not. If they are good reasonable people willing to help a responsible person (like most Zoo/F&G vets I've been in contact with) then yes I will donate my time to them.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:42 am

I would, I just wouldn't mention that I had exotic pets and am going to get more in the future.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:21 am

I would not.

I just got done reading the yearly Ratite TAG (newsletter for people interested in Ratites like I am) and was an article in there about the ongoing efforts to repopulate Niger (the African country) near extinct North African Ostriches.

What a nightmare, everytime that country has a revolution, or more civil war, or famine or whatever they just kill off all the game they can find for food.

Moral of the story is: Without private ownership and captive breeding we are looking at a whirlwind of extinction in the future.

Just think if Ostrich ownership was illegal (for example). And then telling starving people in Africa that they should go ahead and let their kids go hungry but don't DARE shoot that flock of Ostrich outside the village..... yeah right.

Responsible private ownership and the captive breeding to supply that demand is the answer. Just look at the whole Parrot industry. There has not been legal imports in 3 decades (I myself own some parrots that have the old metal smooth bands on their legs from the old importation days, its a strange feeling to hear them sing at night and think that once they sang those songs or heard those songs in Africa, I am not the first owner of them by the way) but thanks to captive breeding the demand for the parrot pet trade is more then kept supplied.

A lady who raises some of the more rare subspecies of peafowl said it best: it is NOT possible to save all the habitats that are necessary to preserve them in the wild, captive breeding is the only answer.

I agree with her. And the last flock of North African Ostrich that was shot to death for food during the previous upheaval in Niger would agree too.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm

I would. Any experience is good experience, but I'd be biting my tongue the whole time, lol. It also looks good if you have been able to volunteer at an "accredited" sanctuary or zoo, especially if you need to go before your state's DWR in order to get an animal (like you have to do out here in Utah). Many of the other volunteers probably aren't against owning exotics, but the higher ups and the people they answer to usually are. So you could still talk about owning exotics with some of the other people.

Most normal people are fine with the public owning the "non-dangerous" exotics as long as they've been properly educated about private ownership. It's harder to convince normal people about private ownership of large carnivores though.

That being said, I could never work for a place like BCR. NOOOOO way. Unless I were undercover. :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:38 pm

I actually do volunteer at a wildlife rehabilitation place that is technically anti-ownership of "wildlife". As Ash said, most of the people I interact with on a day-to-day basis aren't against ownership. I'm technically a higher up, I'm a shift leader in charge of the Monday night crew, but I'm definitely not anti-ownership. It really just depends.

From my experience, even if you have to hold your tongue a bit, it's worth it. I've gotten the opportunity to learn a lot of things at the rehab place. In June I plan to move on to a larger sanctuary in Florida that has large carnivores (NOT BCR! :roll: ), and even though I'm sure they're anti-ownership, the experience to me is always going to be worth it. On my own, I would never be able to tube feed animals from songbirds to herons, how to do wing wraps, how to give SQ fluids to most birds and mammals, etc... I'm hoping it will help me when I am in veterinary school as well. :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:29 am

BlueBaby1023 wrote: In June I plan to move on to a larger sanctuary in Florida that has large carnivores (NOT BCR! :roll: ) :)

Which place? I've been making the rounds visiting every zoo and "animal attraction" and sanctuary in the state.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Nicophorus wrote:
BlueBaby1023 wrote: In June I plan to move on to a larger sanctuary in Florida that has large carnivores (NOT BCR! :roll: ) :)

Which place? I've been making the rounds visiting every zoo and "animal attraction" and sanctuary in the state.

It's called EARS (Endangered Animal Rescue and Sanctuary), and it's in Citra FL. It's pretty close to Gainesville which is where I will be living for the next five years hopefully (crossing my fingers for veterinary school at UF!). And despite it being anti-ownership, I think I could learn a lot from them because they have quite a lot of large carnivores as well as some smaller ones, primates, and domestics.

Here is their website http://www.earsinc.net/, but be warned! It has an autoplay sound loop of a tiger growl so don't open it if you're at work or something. ;)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
snakeman

Postby snakeman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:56 pm

any way to get experience that's not hurting an animal is good. one way of looking at it id like the old saying.... keep your friends close and enemies closer .
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:50 am

BlueBaby1023 wrote:
Nicophorus wrote:

It's called EARS (Endangered Animal Rescue and Sanctuary), and it's in Citra FL. It's pretty close to Gainesville which is where I will be living for the next five years hopefully (crossing my fingers for veterinary school at UF!). And despite it being anti-ownership, I think I could learn a lot from them because they have quite a lot of large carnivores as well as some smaller ones, primates, and domestics.

Here is their website http://www.earsinc.net/, but be warned! It has an autoplay sound loop of a tiger growl so don't open it if you're at work or something. ;)

I looked at their site and am confused how they can be anti-animal ownership when its covered with pictures of them cuddleing up to full grown and baby big cats. These people obviously love and feel a bond with big cats and have enjoyed them for years. Have enjoyed keeping them, taking care of them, touching/holding/hugging them, etc.

So why be against others doing the exact same thing?

This gets into the whole zoo/sanctuary/rescue grey areas.

To me its all about the care level you provide for animals, not what you call yourself. I myself spent a good month researching different types of fence, heights, etc before dropping over 8k on just a ONE acre pen for a single pair of emus, and then spent hundreds more planting I'd say at least 50 different fruit and nut tree sapplings in there for them to forage from/enrichment.

So am I evil now because I don't stick a sign on the gate leading to that pen that says "sanctuary"?

Here is a link to the thread where I'm trying to get feed back on this emu enclosure and some pics of what I ended up building:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/77433 ... -emu-fence

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/77433 ... id/5853673

I guess what is what I want to ask sanctuaries/rescues who say private ownership is bad: Why is it bad? The only thing I can see them then saying is "because people don't take care of their animals" or something. Well then that should be their stance, correct and humane keeping of exotics, not a total ban on "private" ownership.

p.s. the Emu's name in the 2nd link is Xena and he is the most tame and loving creature I've seen in a long time. It was his mate that was taken down by a bobcat a couple years back if you recall me talking about it some. I've seen gotten two more emu, and "soon" hopefully I'll expand into the other ratites. Thank the lord I still have the right to have exotic pets and/or breed exotic animals in FL. I wish all other animal people, including sanctuaries, would support that freedom.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Nicophorus wrote:
BlueBaby1023 wrote:
Nicophorus wrote:Which place? I've been making the rounds visiting every zoo and "animal attraction" and sanctuary in the state.

I looked at their site and am confused how they can be anti-animal ownership when its covered with pictures of them cuddleing up to full grown and baby big cats. These people obviously love and feel a bond with big cats and have enjoyed them for years. Have enjoyed keeping them, taking care of them, touching/holding/hugging them, etc.

So why be against others doing the exact same thing?

This gets into the whole zoo/sanctuary/rescue grey areas.

To me its all about the care level you provide for animals, not what you call yourself. I myself spent a good month researching different types of fence, heights, etc before dropping over 8k on just a ONE acre pen for a single pair of emus, and then spent hundreds more planting I'd say at least 50 different fruit and nut tree sapplings in there for them to forage from/enrichment.

So am I evil now because I don't stick a sign on the gate leading to that pen that says "sanctuary"?

Here is a link to the thread where I'm trying to get feed back on this emu enclosure and some pics of what I ended up building:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/77433 ... -emu-fence

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/77433 ... id/5853673

I guess what is what I want to ask sanctuaries/rescues who say private ownership is bad: Why is it bad? The only thing I can see them then saying is "because people don't take care of their animals" or something. Well then that should be their stance, correct and humane keeping of exotics, not a total ban on "private" ownership.

p.s. the Emu's name in the 2nd link is Xena and he is the most tame and loving creature I've seen in a long time. It was his mate that was taken down by a bobcat a couple years back if you recall me talking about it some. I've seen gotten two more emu, and "soon" hopefully I'll expand into the other ratites. Thank the lord I still have the right to have exotic pets and/or breed exotic animals in FL. I wish all other animal people, including sanctuaries, would support that freedom.

Not that I agree at all, but the most common reason I have heard against private ownership is that individuals are not in a place where they can provide the necessary accommodations for exotics. While I can see this being true in some situations, that definitely isn't true for all.

I wish that more places would support private ownership with legitimate laws concerned about safety of the animals (and people) instead of just trying to outright ban ownership. It doesn't make sense for someone who just claims to be a sanctuary or rescue to be able to house these animals but someone who may have more time or money can't because of this innate fear of individuals and innate faith in AZA or rescue/sanctuaries.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes