PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What's your opinion of Ted Nugent?

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

MGinKC

What's your opinion of Ted Nugent?

Postby MGinKC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 am

That's right, I'm talking about the motor city madman himself.

I've heard his name get brought up a lot in the media and on the internet, mostly in relation to guns, politics, and animal issues. Aside from being a rock star, it's no secret that this guy LOVES to hunt...pretty much everything. Got a favorite animal? Chances are, he's hunted it before.

What do I think of him? To be honest, my views are kind of mixed.

I don't think he's a bad person; his heart's in the right place when it comes to charity and noteworthy causes (Hunters for the Hungry, Camp for Kids, etc). But when it comes to hunting, he can be pretty controversial about it. When discussing his love for hunting, he comes across like an unhinged lunatic (sometimes I can't tell if it's only part of his act, shtick, etc). Whenever I hear him talking politics, it can be kind of annoying. Like Rush Limbaugh, he's very one-sided.

On the other hand, he likes to piss off the animal rights crowd, which I find kind of amusing (I like many others on this forum can't stand the likes of PETA, HSUS, or any AR organization for that matter). Whenever I hear him mocking PETA or Ingrid Newkirk, I find it hilarious.

I consider myself pro-second amendment, but not to the extent that he is. I'm pro gun, even though I'm not a gun person.

I hear a lot of people criticize him and his views (for reasons that are understandable), but what do you think of him?
Matt
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's your opinion of Ted Nugent?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 am

He's against people owning exotic pets. Sure it's cool for him to own his guns and to kill animals but not us own and love them. So yeah I lean towards nut or a more R rated sort of term and certainly no friend of our cause.

Ted Nugent has a bone to pick with Ohio Gov. John Kasich over an exotic animal escape near Zanesville that captivated the nation Wednesday.

The Motor City Madman and conservation activist monitored the situation from a hunting cabin on his 1,200-acre Jackson County farm, and said Kasich was to blame for failing to ban exotic animal ownership.

"I'm going to make a call to Gov. Kasich because he (ended) an executive order by the previous governor that did prohibit and control wild animal ownership," Nugent told The Detroit News on Wednesday. "These are real, wild, dangerous, capable and dangerous animals and they belong in the wild."
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 am

In my opinion, he should have stuck to playing the guitar and kept his idiot mouth firmly closed. :)
MGinKC

Postby MGinKC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:37 am

Ted Nugent has a bone to pick with Ohio Gov. John Kasich over an exotic animal escape near Zanesville that captivated the nation Wednesday.

The Motor City Madman and conservation activist monitored the situation from a hunting cabin on his 1,200-acre Jackson County farm, and said Kasich was to blame for failing to ban exotic animal ownership.

"I'm going to make a call to Gov. Kasich because he (ended) an executive order by the previous governor that did prohibit and control wild animal ownership," Nugent told The Detroit News on Wednesday. "These are real, wild, dangerous, capable and dangerous animals and they belong in the wild."

:wall:

Figures, I had a feeling he was anti-exotic ownership. No real surprises here. I was never a fan of his music to begin with (there are many talented rock musicians that are way better than he is). Like I said, I don't think he's a bad person, he's just (for lack of a better word) a nut job and he knows it.

I don't love or hate him...he's just...blah.

Ana wrote:In my opinion, he should have stuck to playing the guitar and kept his idiot mouth firmly closed. :)

He's not an idiot, he's just plum crazy.
Last edited by MGinKC on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Matt
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:52 am

Never heard of him before. Aside from his view on exotics though, he sounds like my kind of guy, lol. I'm not big into owning guns myself, but I don't want the government doing anything with our rights to bare arms--they've got no business messing around with that. I'm surprised he'd be so hard-core against exotic animal ownership if he is such a big advocate for guns--to me, the issue is very much like exotics. Responsible people for the most part own exotics/guns, but then there are the few idiots out there that shouldn't own either and make the rest of us look bad, and then antis try to push for bans and take away our rights.

I don't align myself with any political party anymore, but I consider myself a strong conservative-libertarian, if that helps put my thoughts into perspective. :shrug:

I would think the types of people that would be easiest to sway to pro-exotic are the ones that are advocates for guns. But that doesn't always prove to be the case, and I really don't know why. I'm speaking in pure stereotypes here of course, but liberals tend to be more animal-rights sided/against guns, and Republicans tend to be more "no exotic animals so our family isn't hurt"/guns all the way. So you would think Republicans would be more okay with exotic animal ownership with the statistics given (once again, this is a stereotype, of course). Either way, all the political parties out there, except for maybe hard-core libertarians, need to be educated more on exotics.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 am

Ash wrote:I'm speaking in pure stereotypes here of course, but liberals tend to be more animal-rights sided/against guns, and Republicans tend to be more "no exotic animals so our family isn't hurt"/guns all the way. So you would think Republicans would be more okay with exotic animal ownership with the statistics given (once again, this is a stereotype, of course). Either way, all the political parties out there, except for maybe hard-core libertarians, need to be educated more on exotics.

I dunno, I consider myself pretty far left/liberal, but I'm not an AR person. I believe in the welfare of animals, but not that they have their own legal rights. I just think that a person needs to provide adequate food, water, and shelter if nothing more (but hopefully more!). Most of my friends out here who are animal science/zoology majors share my point of view. We want the best for our animals, but not to the point of fanatical AR's people to let them "run free". :wall:

If anything, I would think liberals would be more easily swayed. I'd like to think we are a little more open minded than some. But then again, there are extremists in any group.

As for guns, I don't mind people having guns but I think that we should have background checks or some sort of sensible regulation for them. To me, that's just common sense. If someone's been convicted of a violent crime (and by violent, I mean honestly violent like assault or worse), I don't really think they have the "right" to have a gun anymore. Just as when someone abuses an animal I think they have lost the "right" to own it or any other animals. Problem being that regulations get abused by the crazy people who want no one to have guns and then we have the same problem of escalating regulations as with animal regulations. :roll:

Ted... Can just slink out of the limelight as far as I'm concerned. Didn't he say he'd be dead if Obama got reelected? What happened to that? :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
MGinKC

Postby MGinKC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 am

Ash wrote:I would think the types of people that would be easiest to sway to pro-exotic are the ones that are advocates for guns. But that doesn't always prove to be the case, and I really don't know why. I'm speaking in pure stereotypes here of course, but liberals tend to be more animal-rights sided/against guns, and Republicans tend to be more "no exotic animals so our family isn't hurt"/guns all the way. So you would think Republicans would be more okay with exotic animal ownership with the statistics given (once again, this is a stereotype, of course). Either way, all the political parties out there, except for maybe hard-core libertarians, need to be educated more on exotics.

Interesting observation. I agree that Republican politicians (who claim to be anti-government intervention) should be more inclined to protect the rights of exotic animal owners, but they usually don't, which I find very inconsistent. Many of them cling to the conventional wisdom (i.e.: all species that are not domesticated BELONG in the wild no matter what, or else they could pose as a threat to public safety, they could be "born" with rabies, etc). In that sense, Republicans are not that much better than Democrats. Like you said, I'm speaking in pure stereotypes.
Matt
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:05 am

I know plenty of democrats who don't support animal rights at all. I know plenty of republicans who do--governor of Ohio, for example. People aren't just one or the other, even though some would like to think they are. I guess there are some who support one party's views 100%, but most people don't.

Yeah, this is just stereotypes of the parties. Not saying if you're a democrat that automatically makes you an animal rights person or anything. It's like saying democrats are "poor" and republicans are "rich." Obviously that's just a stereotype. Just like saying gays are democrats--I know some gays who consider themselves conservative (not too many, but I do).

Since republicans (stereotype here) don't want gun control, I would THINK that they would be easiest to sway. Once again, just stereotypes. I know plenty of democrats who hate the idea of gun control, but in general that's considered a "republican" view.

I think anybody who advocates for guns should see the parallels it has with owning exotics, and shouldn't be hypocritical, and therefore support exotic ownership too. Which is why I'm saying TEd Nugent is hypocritical if he condemns exotic ownership.

EDIT: Yeah, you would think in some ways liberals would be more easily swayed too. Liberals (stereotype again) embrace new ideas better than conservatives (stereotype again, ha).

Just thought I'd throw this in here as a disclaimer since I got us a bit sidetracked from the topic:

I don't hate on people, just hate on ideas people have and their choices, lol. ;) I'm friends with lots of people who have completely different ideas than me, no problem. I'm conservative, but almost all of my closest friends are far-left liberals, lol. Makes it difficult to have political discussions with them though, but that's about it. Just because you condemn what others believe or do, doesn't mean you condemn the person. You respect the person and their right to make decisions.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:25 pm

I think that's why stereotypes are so hard, almost no one fits into them perfectly. I think of myself as liberal due to the fact that social issues (like marriage equality, social programs) tend to be more on the table than things that get caught up in Congress for decades (like gun control). But I also see the other side of it because I was raised in a far right, conservative, "rich" family, and they have no idea why I lean left on so many issues. Makes for very interesting holidays. :lol:

I definitely agree that Ted is being hypocritical by supporting gun rights but calling "wild animals" dangerous. There are far too many parallels. I just think we should have some common sense laws about both, but far too many people want to take advantage of that, sadly. :/
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Agreed. ;)
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Perhaps part of the guns vs. exotics issue involves control. If no one is controling(directly/indirectly) the gun the gun is not able to harm anyone. An animal is capable of independant action and is therefore deemed more dangerous. Especially so if a nondomesticated species.

And to tie in to the Ted Nugent subject-Not that interested in the man, but do check out news bits just to monitor his activities for those that may affect my interests.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Completely unrelated to his point of view on animal ownership, a friend posted something on Facebook about his "Jailbait" song. I don't listen to his music (or any country music really), so I've never heard of it. In case anyone was questioning just how much of a creep this guy is, read the lyrics...

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/t/ted_nugent/jailbait.html
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 pm

:shock: Yikes... I'm going to have nightmares now. Gross.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 pm

hunting cabin on his 1,200-acre Jackson County farm

Yet is against exotic ownership? :roll:

Wait, does he "big game hunt" in Texas? ...I just did some google and yep, he is all about shooting ranched animals/exotics for sport.

What a hypocrite. He has no problem enjoying raised exotic animals, but against others doing so.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Ash wrote::shock: Yikes... I'm going to have nightmares now. Gross.

Exactly my thoughts. Creepy "art". That's disturbing in my opinion.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes