PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Orcas in Captivity

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Re: Orcas in Captivity

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 am

I'm heavily involved in the cetacean community on Tumblr and Facebook, and yes, everyone is talking about this now. It's absolutely sensational news.

The $10 million are for helping the endangered Southern Resident population. They are doing very poorly due to pollution and overfishing, and haven't had a calf survive in two years. They are going extinct if nothing is done, so SeaWorld donated those 10 million to help them.
(Incidentally, PeTA and Blackfish has donated a full $0. :roll: The AR "activists" as usual.)

The new SeaWorld enclosures will look like this: http://nimwey.tumblr.com/post/948168137 ... y-start-in
http://cetacean-captivity.tumblr.com/po ... if-to-show
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:23 pm

https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveSc ... 8885900790

I just saw this in my news feed, and the idiots in the comments who want to "set them free" make me want to lose faith in all humanity. It is sheer stupidity to think that they can live in the wild. And it's all just bandwagoner's that believe it, too.. :wall: I can't believe that IFLS is buying into that crap.

I'm happy that Seaworld is expanding their habitats. Doubling the size is fantastic! Hopefully they've come up with some new enrichment for the orcas too. :mrgreen: I think that this will be a good step for those who are realistic about the lives of these animals.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:04 am

I think I'll plan a trip to SeaWorld in CA once the new exhibit is complete. I haven't been to SeaWorld in a long time, so that'll be a good excuse to go and support them.

That's good about the research, Nimwey. Hopefully it'll make a difference. Too many of these animals are going extinct.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 am

I think I'll plan a trip to SeaWorld in CA once the new exhibit is complete. I haven't been to SeaWorld in a long time, so that'll be a good excuse to go and support them.
Same here. It's kind of funny. I lived in San Diego for 22 years, and I've only visited Sea World twice.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Ash wrote:I think I'll plan a trip to SeaWorld in CA once the new exhibit is complete. I haven't been to SeaWorld in a long time, so that'll be a good excuse to go and support them.

That's good about the research, Nimwey. Hopefully it'll make a difference. Too many of these animals are going extinct.

I was talking with my boyfriend about going to SeaWorld Orlando soon for the same reasons. :lol: We go down to Orlando all the time for DisneyWorld since we got annual passes, but we haven't gone over to SeaWorld, Bush Gardens, or down to the Keys yet.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Yeah, maybe I'll go sooner. My sisters and I have been wanting a weekend vacation somewhere, but obviously I can't do it with the foxes. But a friend of mine (who has exotics of her own, including 5 foxes) who lives a block or two away offered to watch them for me if ever I left town, which was super kind of her.

I may take her up on that and leave for a weekend vacation with the sistahs--haven't been on one since I brought Fable home. But I'd want to have my outdoor enclosure set up first since I wouldn't wish it on ANYONE but myself to clean up after foxes living in a garage. Too smelly, too messy. Even though she's used to all that stuff, I know how long it takes to clean.

I am a shark fanatic, lol. So I would probably spend most of my time in their shark tunnel watching sharks swim past me. My younger sister has a phobia of manta rays and certain underwater creatures, so she'd probably pass on that. But it would be great to see the dolphin shows and the whale shows, and she'd enjoy that, especially if I promised her we'd spend time on a beach one of those days. :) The last time I went to SeaWorld was... too long ago to remember, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:55 pm

You definitely should go! Although if you don't want the rush of back to school college students or vacationing families, I'd recommend going in October-ish. :lol:

That's usually my problem as well, trying to figure out what to do with the animals. But, mine are a bit easier to find babysitters for. I hope that she can babysit your little guys so that you can get a much earned vacation!
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Captive trained Cetaceans less stressed than their wild kin, proven by science: http://zoonation.org/are-cetaceans-in-h ... -the-wild/
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Heard that Tilikum died....
Seems like it's started the media frenzy about SeaWorld up again :roll:
While I know next to nothing about marine life or even Orcas, I do have very strong opinions about the care SeaWorld provides for their animals, which is excellent when compared to the care of any other captive animal...

I admit that I completely believed the Blackfish lies when the documentary first came out, and was an anti-Seaworld crusader for a while :P Then what started as my scoffing at a presentation of facts from the other side of the issue led me to realize how the whole thing is basically a very well-fabricated fairy tale...

This article basically sums up my feelings on the subject: https://medium.com/@isaacwadd/whats-wro ... .cpatw3pdd

While I don't think that keeping these animals in captivity is the best possible place for them, I don't think that animals have any concept of 'freedom' or of desiring it and are much more concerned with the "now." So they're just as happy with security knowing their meals are provided for them and performing mentally stimulating tasks to get /extra/ food as they would be hunting their own food in the wild.

That is a really good point about the echolocation and how the noise must bother them...I wonder if the material they make their tanks out of have taken that into consideration?
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 am

The tanks have been proven to be more silent than the ocean, and the music from shows doesn't bother them because A) it bounces off the water B) I haven't seen this proven 100%, but the claim is they can't even hear in that frequency, so it's completely silent to them.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”