PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

This made me FURIOUS

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

vulpini

This made me FURIOUS

Postby vulpini » Fri May 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm not sure if this is just my opinion, but please read the story and tell me what you think. This made me absolutely digusted and furious. And to think that zoos are supposed to be "conservation" centers.

Warning: Graphic material

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2555079/Danish-zoo-kills-young-giraffe-deemed-surplus-feeds-lions.html

and, to add more fuel to the fire, the same zoo:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/after-giraffe-dutch-zoo-kills-lions/article5836619.ece

I understand that they didn't want the giraffe in their breeding program, but others offered to BUY him! This is outrageous! They could have refrained from buying a new male lion too! :wall:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: This made me FURIOUS

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Way more hubub than should really be made about it was. Sure he could have been put to better use in a zoo somewhere and they could chose to not breed them in the first place but other than being a cool exotic animal what's the difference between killing that and a cow for food. I also don't see what is so terrible about kids seeing how meat is "made" I saw my father slaughter chickens growing up and I didn't become a cold serial killer or anything.

They also killed a bunch of lions to make room so they really should just breed less instead of killing for room. So I don't approve of their over all performance in that matter but I still think the whole thing, with the giraffe especially, got blown out of proportion.
Ana

Postby Ana » Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 pm

It's certainly a statement of the hubris that human animals have when dealing with their non human counterparts. The bottom line has been very clearly defined. Even our closest primate cousins can be tortured, killed and enslaved at the whim of their human masters. This sort of thing is fuel for abolitionist movements everywhere. There is insufficient regulation of the care, treatment and disposal of animals in the custody of for profit ventures. This is another in a long series of grotesque displays of why we should not have that power.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat May 10, 2014 5:40 am

I don't think people criticizing this don't know how zoos really work.
Copenhagen Zoo is not unique by any stretch, practically ALL zoos in Europe do this - they cull their animals when they have "surplus stock". It's just standard practice.

In Europe we don't neuter zoo animals, apparently the zoo managers/keepers feel it is more important that the animals get to express their full natural behavior - meaning to breed naturally with no restraint. And baby animals die in the wild all the time as well, except there it's from predation, starvation, accidents, parasites or disease - not a bolt in the brain while munching on bread.

And the autopsy part - I think it's great that they allowed people to watch that. Zoos are meant to be educational, and to see a giraffe be cut up and its inner workings is something most of us will never get to see. People went there themselves, people took their kids there themselves (and as for "THE KIDS WILL BE SCARRED FOR LIFE", I can only laugh - slaughter and butchering up animals was *daily life* just a couple of generations ago, all kids were used to this back then), no one forced them to look.

Then the lions got healthy food, much better suited for them (and ethically raised and killed!) than the pigs, cows and chickens they would otherwise have eaten. (Little note: I live in Sweden, and here most people know that you DON'T want meat from Denmark. Sweden has a lot of dumb things going on, but the slaughter industry in Denmark is far more unethical than here.)

I don't agree with culling of animals simply to replace them with something else, though. Last year there was a scandal here in Sweden when Parken Zoo had euthanized its three cougars (mother and two grown cubs) simply to get a jaguar, saying they were too old but they were not. They had killed a bunch of African wild dogs while claiming that they had been moved to other parks. They had their last bongo antelope starve to death (dying on the way it took the vet to get there, and the zoo keepers "just noticed" the bongo wasn't looking well), and then disposed of the body in a poor way. The rest of the bodies were found in a freezer room, thrown in on a *mountain* of discarded chickens. Together with a white tiger that had been killed many years ago.
Extremely unprofessionally done, lies and very unethical to let an animal starve to death.

Then there was Öland Zoo which got in the spotlight (the same week!) for this: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/images/86/ ... uto-height
And some lion cubs starved to death.

Now THOSE are poor zoos, that should answer for their crimes and if they can't improve, be shut down.
What Copenhagen Zoo has done, simply to do what all zoos do - preserve genetic health in the gene pool - I simply cannot see as a crime.

Also, I bet that if the headline had instead been "DANISH ZOO KILLS PIG - FEEDS BODY TO LIONS" no one would have cared. Perhaps not even PeTA.
And why are giraffes worth so much more than pigs now all of a sudden?
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
DaniJo21

Postby DaniJo21 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:01 am

I'm in agreement with the other posters - I don't find it to be a big deal at all. We don't know how many other zoos locally had breeding stock that shared the same bloodlines as this giraffe. They aren't an endangered species, no reason not to cull it. We have to cull lions IN SOUTH AFRICA all the time because individual reserves really cannot support big prides, but people go all bat (*&$ for lion hunts so they are culled privately and dumped. Now tell me how that makes sense - the animals are going to be killed anyway, so why not get money going back to conservation for doing it? This is why I hate when the public gets involved in "animal rights" matters they know nothing about...

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”