PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A bit of a PETA rant.

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

A bit of a PETA rant.

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:27 am

PETA doesn't usually get to me, but the hypocrisy due to recent events is just crazy.

So, starting from the top, I go to a fairly large land-grant ag-research university. In other words, a lot of farmers, and a lot of people who know the in's and out's of modern agriculture. The exact opposite of PETA. Still, they visit every so often to yell at people in our main "quad" area. Last week, they were here, and I know several friends who stopped to "talk" with them, and were basically threatened with their lives because "what's the difference between killing a chicken and killing a person."

Now, that's not really anything new for them. It's this next part that really makes me mad. :red-face:

One of my friends on facebook posted this link, which I think is a good read except for the PETA quotes that make me furious. (Here's the link: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... stray.html)

Towards the bottom of the first page, PETA says "Adoptions can be bad-far worse than euthansia." As if that excuses their dismal adoption rates.

My question is, what in the heck is the difference between killing a chicken and killing a dog if it can be adopted? At least the chicken has a purpose. It's feeding someone! Killing the dog does nothing. I just can't wrap my mind around their idiotic logic. :wall:

There are no perfect homes for most animals. Most animals in shelters go to homes for a few years and come back. That's reality. I don't understand how they can say that those animals are better off dead, but that it's murder to kill and then eat animals. It's just... infuriating. :red-face:

Sorry for the rant, but I feel some people on here have had similar run in's with PETA!
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A bit of a PETA rant.

Postby Ash » Tue May 20, 2014 4:57 pm

It is better for shelter dogs to be out of the shelter. Even if it is not the perfect home, and even if it is just for a few years. They aren't living in a small cage with minimal human interaction almost 24/7, but a pet home where they have interaction daily with their new owners.

But to say that euthanasia is better than adoption? I disagree with that. Most dogs will form new attachments when they move from family to family. It's in their nature to be loving. There are a few that suffer from separation anxiety, and perhaps those ones ought to be put down so they are not stressed. But the majority of dogs rehome perfectly fine. No reason to euthanize them because they might be miserable going from family to family.

But, I want to say that I DO believe in euthanizing healthy animals, as sad as that is. Animals that have been sitting for years in the shelter that aren't going to be adopted. What's better? Living in a cage with minimal human interaction for the rest of its life? Or euthanizing it to make more room for another dog that has a better chance at being adopted? I say the latter.

Everybody knows the neighbor on the block that keeps their dog in a 6X10 enclosure in the backyard for its whole life, and the only time it sees its owners is when it is fed. People call that neglect. But aren't shelters the exact same thing then, assuming the animal has lived there for months, or even years? Yes, same thing. But yet everybody believes that husky should have a new home and shouldn't ever live like that, but yet it's okay for TONS of dogs in shelters to live like that? Being lonely without anyone to play with them?

My response is kind of all over the place. But if an animal can be adopted, let it be adopted! Even if it's going to brought back in the next few years! But if it isn't going to be adopted, maybe euthanasia is the better option.

Either way, we all hate PETA for a reason. :P It's okay to euthanize dogs, but not to euthanize chickens? All animal life is of equal value. So these hypocrites need to make up their minds. The majority of them do not know what they want, and they are just following the crowd of like-minded people. They haven't stopped to think about how these actions are contradictory.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 pm

I disagree with putting down dogs with separation anxiety. My pitbull has it, but it's manageable. I crate her when I'm gone, and yes she whines and cries, but she is otherwise a very, very happy dog when I am home. Most separation anxiety is manageable, and most dogs adopted from shelters have some form of it, mild or severe.

The reason why PETA was saying that it's better to euthanize animals instead of adopt them out is because they have ridiculously high standards of what an owner should do. Things such as never being gone, spending all day paying attention to the dog, and only buying premium things. While that would be the perfect home, that just isn't realistic. The reality is that, although I have 7 animals, I'm still gone about 6-8 hours a day intermittently. My animals don't absorb every second I'm home, either. But I like to think they are spoiled nonetheless because they are in a better home than some other animals. And I think the majority of people do right by their animals. Maybe they can't be home all day, or can't afford premium food, or don't understand behavior in their animals. But I don't think that it makes them bad homes for animals, even if they are only temporary. At least the animal had that much time happy.

I do agree with euthanizing. It's a sad reality. Not every animal is adoptable. The local shelter I used to spend a lot of time at would keep animals as long as they were happy and relatively healthy (since URIs are so common in shelters, that wasn't really considered sick). If either declined, they attempted to send them to foster homes. If that wasn't possible, then they were euthanized. Being depressed is just as bad as being terminally ill in a lot of these animals.

Surprisingly (likely West Coast influence) most shelters over here have tons of volunteers that come in and walk dogs and play with them, as well as just socialize with every single cat every day of the week. I think it keeps a lot of animals happy and healthier. At the shelter I used to volunteer at, I saw cats there for a long time (more than a year, sometimes two) that never seemed depressed because of the volunteers. And several people come in and say "we want to adopt the animal that's been here longest", so it tends not to happen too frequently. I believe there were about 10-12 animals that had been there for about a year, and just a couple for two, and all were adopted last year. The average stay is about 6-8 months for adult cats, and just weeks for kittens. Dogs are in short supply here, and adults and puppies never stay more than a couple months.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the country just doesn't have the time, resources, or manpower to do what the shelters around here do. And in that case, it often is kinder to euthanize animals that are depressed or terminally ill.

My beef with them is being so hypocritical. Better to euthanize than adopt? But killing a chicken for food is somehow immoral? That is just insane. :roll:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm more talking about extreme separation anxiety. I've heard from some people that if they go away on a trip, their dog literally wastes away while they're gone--lays in one spot, refuses to eat or drink...

You "hear" about these types of dogs a lot, but I'm sure the majority of them are owners just playing it up when they tell you about it. So there are probably a lot less than there actually "is." I think an animal that is wasting away because it misses its human to that degree should be put to sleep. But then again, maybe there are ways to train them out of it, or you could give them a pill or something to calm them down?

If it's just normal separation anxiety or something that can be managed, that's not a problem. Most dogs have anxieties anyway, just to a much less notable degree.

I wish all shelters were like that and had so many volunteers. That's great. If they can be run well like that, it's a much different type of situation. Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to shelters, but I never hear of that type of stuff happening in my area. And when I lived in the Midwest, I never heard of it either--I wanted to volunteer at a shelter when I was a teen, but they said they didn't want volunteers. :/

The types of PETA people who bother me most are the ones that own pets. These are typically the vegans who go and protest at slaughterhouses, restaurants, etc. Do they not realize that if there were no meat industry, their dog or cat would have NOTHING to eat? There would be no pet food! Cats especially are solely carnivorous. Yet tons of the people I know claiming to be "animal rights" advocates have pets. So apparently they're just going with the trend. It means their actions are not only hurting others, but also themselves, and their beloved pets.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:01 am

There are actually good anti-anxiety medications for animals now. They can be pricey, but are definitely worth it. My dog is not severe at all, so she isn't on anything like that. She doesn't even miss me when I board her! The lady I board her with loves her. :lol: But I've seen worse than my dog rehabbed pretty easily. ThunderShirts work well too.

Unfortunately, most shelters can't take teen volunteers because of the liability it poses. But usually shelters over here have some sort of child-friendly program where the parent can come in and supervise while their child volunteers.

But you're right, most shelters elsewhere just don't have the time or money. My boyfriend, from Michigan, can attest to that. He was shocked when I took him by the shelter here and showed him everything. Most shelters from the Midwest and South just don't have half of the resources.

A large portion of that, though, is because I've noticed that licensing dogs in the Midwest and South is more lax there than it is here. Here, vets are sued if they don't turn over the certificates they acquire from rabies vaccinating dogs they see to the local animal control. Because of this, unless you want your animal to be in danger from catching rabies, ALL dogs and cats have to be licensed. Most of that licensing money ($17 a year or $35 for 3 years) goes towards supporting the shelter, as well as some other taxes. The shelters here are bigger and staffed better than what I saw in California even, and I'm sure that has nothing on most of the ones in the Midwest and South.

But but! Vegan dogs and cats! :roll:

Yea, if I had a dollar for every time I've argued with vegetarians about how cats biologically NEED meat, I'd be rich by now... :roll:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Wed May 21, 2014 8:23 am

Well, there is a little bit of "sanity" or, to be more correct, "goal" in their seeming hypocrisy.

"Don't kill chickens!" = Chicken industry will die out, no more chickens in captivity, as we keep them to eat them (and their eggs).
"Let's kill adoptable dogs!" = Dogs in captivity (pretty much all of them) will die out.

That's what they want. Extinction for all captive animals.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Yeah, don't get me started on the vegan diets for animals! :roll: Our shih-tzu with a liver shunt had to be on a grain diet, but there was chicken fat in it, so he wasn't even "vegan;" it was the only thing he could eat other than celery and a few other veggies.

I can understand if someone chooses to be a vegan themselves, but to force it on your animal? And to instigate law changes?

Nimwey, yep. That's definitely their goal. Extermination of all animals in captivity. So I guess there is some reason to their argument there. The sad thing is these "animal advocates" really do just want all these animals dead. Their whole agenda is hypocritical.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:02 pm

The idiocy of people saying their animals can be vegan... Ugh. :roll:

It isn't even as though they make sense about it though. Only "special" people get to keep their pets if they can devote every waking minute to them. That isn't really extinction for keeping pets. Just another step towards it I suppose. :roll:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 23, 2014 8:31 am

I honestly just cannot understand the stupidity in peta. it is sad, because they are such a large group.
I personally think if they educate themselves on animals. (proper care etc) they could have been a big help to some animal owners.

1. rather than waste all their money on such stupid ads and all the other crap they do.
they could be donating money to the animal shelters. they can donate their time there to help the animals.

2. why not use some of their money to help cat and dog owners get them fixed. I would think this would help downsize the animal population. especially cats.

3. they can help educate the owners of the proper care. build a large enclosure for low income people, so they don't have to chain them, or let them run loose.

4. build more shelters, offer rabies shots and more, vet care etc.

5. look for the people that really do abuse their animals. confiscate those animals and find a better home for them.
(animal abusers should not be allowed to own animals)

6. look for "thrill killers" of wild animals.

7. look for farm animal abuse..

I am sure there is lots more they can do to help, and not hurt or kill the animals.

it's sad that peta is so stupid in their thinking. for them to rather see a dog dead is plain down right stupidity.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
MGinKC

Postby MGinKC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Ingrid Newkirk was quoted saying "Our goal is TOTAL animal liberation".

I think Penn and Teller (whether you like them or hate them) put it best with their analysis of PETA's philosophy:

"In just a month after animals were released, they would be back in animal prison for trespassing, failure to pay their taxes, assaulting people- and each other, and for f***ing and sh***ing all over the sh***y, f***in' place!" :lol:
Matt
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:44 pm

http://topcatsroar.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... is-a-myth/

The German High Court found PeTA guilty of paying people to skin animals alive.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”