PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Crafting With Fur

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

DeweysMom

Re: Crafting With Fur

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Juska, you're getting better with each one!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Finishing up another one that is in the style of the last one, but without a face flap.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Here's process photos of the bag I just finished making a few days ago. Took me a couple of hours.

I ended up not wanting to put a face on this one, but these are all the materials you need. I use upholstery thread and a thick gauge needle. Sewing machines and leather don't really like each other unless you buy special needles, and I just like to hand stitch anyway.

Take the fur, lay it leather side up and use a sharp knife or razor blade to trim the hide to the shape you want for your bag. DO NOT use scissors and do not cut on the fur side. If you do, it will cut into the fur and will make it uneven. You don't want the edges of the fur to be shorter and uneven all over the place. Cut gently with a sharp blade, and keep the hide taught and it'll glide right through. Gently pull off any fur that loosens from the edges.

You want to sew it with the "backs" of both fabrics facing out.

The same stitch from both sides.

Done with the base sewing. Trim off extra fabric.

Turn it inside out and this is what it looks like. Mine came out a little wonky this time, lol.

It's complicated to explain and show with photos, but to make the lining inside of the bag, you have to sew another piece of fabric to make a "bag" of the same size and shape of the original, then stitch that onto the outer edge of the bag's fabric (where the opening is). Then turn the lining bag inside out and push it down into the bag, and your lining is done. Then just stitch the lining's edges onto the edges of the bag.

Before finishing the lining, you'll want to add the strap to the inside of the bag so it looks clean when you're finished.

Then sew the lining over it.

Rolling the edges of the fur/leather over the lining's edge and stitching to give it a clean look.

Added a magnetic snap closure to the top.

Then I made a little dream catcher (you'll have to learn how to do that on your own, lol) and sewed it onto the front to give it a little more flair.

All done!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:42 pm

Very nice!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Made a wolf fur collar for my jacket! I've wanted to do this forever and I finally found some fur that was actually cut into measured strips.

I bought three pieces, put two of the bigger strips together to make the big part of the collar, then sliced the last one in half down the middle to make a thinner piece to make it more full.

The second picture makes it look uneven but I just had that shoulder stuck out more, lol.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:21 pm

That's awesome! You always have such cool ideas!
Just wondering: HOW/WHERE do you buy wolf fur? I'd think that wouldn't be very easy to get...
Dana

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:43 pm

I bought it from Centralia Fur & Hide Co., https://furandhide.com/

At the moment they only sell strips cut into 10 inch pieces. They're $5 each, I bought three. A lot of more rare things like that they have limited stock of, so it's not like they have tons of it lying around or anything. I found them when searching for deals on fur and other craft supplies. Really glad I did.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks for the link, Juska! They have some really cool stuff there, especially under "Taxidermy & Display Pieces". The boy and bear and the boy and coyote pieces are very cool.
Dana

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”