PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I euthanized my first animal...

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I euthanized my first animal...

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:58 pm

minervasden wrote:Many herp breeders use 'bad clutches' to feed other critters. I know and know of alot that do but I'm not sure how open the herp community is about this practice.
If you've not read the AVMA Euthanasia Guidelines, here is a link to the 2013 edition. https://www.avma.org/kb/policies/docume ... anasia.pdf

Yeah, actually, I know the venomous community really depends on the ball python community for lots of its feeders. Cobras do best on a diet of snakes, so ball pythons are a good source of nutrition for them--whether they came from bad clutches, or are just excess stock. Also tegu and monitor owners feed their animals ball pythons a lot.

Thank-you for posting that link. I really appreciate it, and I'll definitely take a look.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Never, ever feel guilty or bad for ending an animal's misery. Ever. What you did for the mouse was truly kind and compassionate. And most likely painless, for the most part. Blunt force trauma - IF DONE DECISIVELY AND PROPERLY - is quick and efficient.

Like others have said above, people are so far removed from HOW food ends up on their table, they have lost the ability to comprehend killing. I'm betting if more people HAD to kill that steer or chicken before putting it on their table, there'd be a heck of a lot more vegans out there. Overlook the reactions of your coworkers. They know no better.

We used to own a large farm where we raised turkeys (60,000 when we were full), so I had to learn effective, quick and (hopefully) painless means of dispatching the sick and injured. Believe me when I say that I felt as bad with the very last killing as I did the very first one I did. And I ALWAYS apologized to the turkey before I did it, and asked it to forgive me for what I had to do. I'm sure the turkey didn't understand, but it made ME feel a little better by doing so.

When someone can successfully take the life of another being without guilt, remorse or feeling bad in any other way, that's when it should be questioned. Something's seriously wrong there...
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:12 pm

DeweysMom wrote:I'm betting if more people HAD to kill that steer or chicken before putting it on their table, there'd be a heck of a lot more vegans out there.

Nope...there'd just be less people. And those people wouldn't flip out over the death of a mouse that they set a trap out for...
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Juska wrote:Nope...there'd just be less people. And those people wouldn't flip out over the death of a mouse that they set a trap out for...

And that, in MY opinion, would be a GOOD thing! :icon-wink: But I've been told that my disaffection for the human race in general is unreasonable, so ... :shrug:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:49 pm

The world would be a much better place if our global population went down by a few billion. Unfortunately there's no way to reduce that number with much impact in any sort of "humane" way.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Juska wrote:The world would be a much better place if our global population went down by a few billion. Unfortunately there's no way to reduce that number with much impact in any sort of "humane" way.

If you find a humane way, can we start with eliminating the idiots first? :lol:
Dana

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm

I think one good way would be to just stop people from breeding for a while. I hate it when people who really, really just don't need to have children decide they want to bring 4 or 5 into the world. No one NEEDS to have kids. We don't NEED any more people. Just stop already!

I realize it's a "human right" to have children, but people need to stop being so selfish; "I DESERVE to have all the children I want!", yeah, but there are over six billion people on our planet, and you pumping out offspring is just making it harder for everyone, not to mention your own children when they grow up and there's no work, money, housing or food to be had. Unless you plan to take care of them until you die.

That's what separates having children from having pets. Pets don't need to grow up and then go out on their own and try to survive. So it's seriously no one's business how many animals you have, unless you're not caring for them properly. Kids on the other hand become adults and then have to take up more space in society where there is none left.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, lol, I'll stop now!

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”