PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Crap... not another one

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Re: Crap... not another one

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks a bunch.

I'll do it by the weekend, when I have lots of candy and soda (= comfort).
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Reports are it's not as bad. They have "experts" in it say it's bad but were fair in their portals of the owners and their animals as well. So it's more balanced. Sadly positive though unbalanced would be better to balance out all he unbalanced negative stories out there.

I'm afraid that's not true.

I'm only 15 minutes in, and I had to stop watching. The bullshit is never-ending, it's unbearable stupidity, it's worse than Elephant in the Living Room and Tiger Next Door combined.

I don't know if I can finish it - I can watch Blackfish and just moan and roll my eyes, I never have to turn it off. But this... :wall:

I have written about what I've seen so far at least. I haven't read through it, and as I was writing as I was watching, it's pretty angry writing and I'll probably have to change it to make it a tiny bit more professional later...
http://exotic-exotics.tumblr.com/wilddangerous

And I'm someone who watches Fatal Attractions for entertainment.
"hug"
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Nìmwey wrote:I'm afraid that's not true.

I'm only 15 minutes in, and I had to stop watching. The bullshit is never-ending, it's unbearable stupidity, it's worse than Elephant in the Living Room and Tiger Next Door combined.

Well in that case I'll try sending the production company a bill for my clip, maybe they'll actually pay and it'll cost them a wee bit. Worst that happens is I'm ignored and nothing changes. Too bad I don't have a lawyer to scare them with.

I didn't watch it right now but did watch the first few seconds to see it really is Pua and my clip. And they show it right as they say something about Canadian pet owners, which of course I'm not.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm

The whole thing is currently on YouTube, the first related video to the preview clip.

I'm just in the introduction, and can see that it's definitely one-sided. I get the impression that this is sensationalism ("people are keeping pets who could kill them and funding organized crime in the process") rather than animal liberationism. I love how they show a pet sugar glider followed by a wild black widow.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 pm

lol, Neither a pet sugar glider or a black widow are bad pets.

People freak out WAY too much about black widows being dangerous--they're not even lethal, for crying out loud... I guess they... could be, depending on your reaction to the bite and if you got an infection? But I just attended a "Venom Day" presentation where they shared the statistics for snake and spider bites in the US and how many people actually died. Seeing the statistics, I just rolled my eyes. We've really made people freak out over nothing.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Wed May 20, 2015 1:25 am

There appears to be a time window in edits. I realized after finishing the video that the spider actually was a pet. I thought that they just took a random black widow out of the wild to coincide with the word "deadly," instead it appears that they took a picture pet spider to coincide with that word. Of course harmless or not, black widows are far less common than scorpions as exotic pets.

Also, the video did a lot of interspersing pictures of sugar gliders with pictures of the most extreme exotic pets. They also falsely implied that United States demand fuels the illegal trade in endangered animals, even insinuated that Darwin the monkey was smuggled in a way that probably just barely skirts libel laws.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Nice article trashing the documentary in a logical fashion http://hubpages.com/animals/Wild-and-Da ... xotic-Pets
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:13 am

I always check Melissa Smith for new articles. She's awesome.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:39 am

Nìmwey wrote:I always check Melissa Smith for new articles. She's awesome.

I agree, I have seen a couple of her articles. wish more people would write the positive and the truth about exotic animals.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:28 am

I wish people would stop spitting out garbage documentaries. I always watch them, to see if they're educational or showcasing the actual truth on exotics, but every single one is basically just slander with no real base for their claims other than "This is a wild and dangerous animal, it belongs outside, not in your home."

Though really, the people who make these documentaries don't care about educating; they're just trying to enforce a common opinion on ignorant people using scare tactics and over dramatized language. The so-called "experts" only tell half the story in most documentaries, and they have no facts supporting their claims. But people watching the documentary don't realize this, because "hey, this guy's the animal expert."

Some documentaries initially make good points. But they always follow up to "Don't own ___, it's a terrible wild animal that cannot make a good pet." or "___ is dangerous and cannot be cared for." and in doing so completely lose my respect and interest. :roll:

As we all know, most of the hate and disagreement against owning exotic pets comes from people simply being ignorant on the subject- and documentaries like these are a big factor to that. icon_confused.gif
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

One could VERY easily make the exact same mockumentary on dogs and cats. I'm sure plenty of people would be eager to let someone into their house to film for a "documentary" by an "animal expert"...then use the footage they got to twist into a huge, slanderous anti-dog and cat "documentary".

Could even go as far as to use the exact same dialogue and series of events as in these anti-exotic films and just replace any animal's name and footage with "dog" or "cat". Because it's nothing but a cookie-cutter hate campaign you could apply to anything.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:16 am

Juska wrote:One could VERY easily make the exact same mockumentary on dogs and cats. I'm sure plenty of people would be eager to let someone into their house to film for a "documentary" by an "animal expert"...then use the footage they got to twist into a huge, slanderous anti-dog and cat "documentary".

Could even go as far as to use the exact same dialogue and series of events as in these anti-exotic films and just replace any animal's name and footage with "dog" or "cat". Because it's nothing but a cookie-cutter hate campaign you could apply to anything.

That would be a fun project, too bad I don't have a good video editing software. :lol:

"Big cats are not pets; they are wild animals. After they're done attacking your dog, they'll attack you too. Leave them where they belong; in the wild."

5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:56 am

I've got Sony Vegas so I've got like, the most basic software you can get lol
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:10 am

I was carousing the Big Cat Rescue's website, and I went to their attacks page to read what they had there (24 recorded big cat attacks these last 20 years, gee wiz man! SO TERRIFYING!) and low and behold... They had some absolutely disgusting pictures of big cat attack victims. Did they really have to stoop so low as to show graphic pictures as a scare tactic? I mean, I was absolutely disgusted... But I'm knowledgeable enough to know that any animal can maul you like that, not just a big cat. (I left the page after seeing it, so I didn't double check... But I doubt this was an attack from a pet big cat. Only said "big cat attack victim" so that could be from a wild big cat :lol:)

My respect for them as a whole has dropped to new lows... Even throughout the site, they had a big DONATE! button on every page. Not to mention they're trying to pass a bill to make owning big cats illegal... :-x

Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:21 pm

There is a pro-exotics documentary in the making! Mostly focusing on elephants, and it's called... "the Elephant in the Room".

Here's a 7 minute preview: https://www.facebook.com/theElephantint ... 017990972/

Fun comments.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”