ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Skulls

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

vulpini

Skulls

Postby vulpini » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Decided to put this on the controversial forum, because of trapping and such.

First off, I would like to note that I really disagree with trapping, especially foot trapping. I saw someone on Taxidermy.net basically say that eventually the paw "goes numb" or something like that I think, but I believe it is extremely cruel to trap the animals--especially only for their fur. I don't have a problem with hunting if it is done for a purpose, not just because of an animal's fur.

So anyhow, I have been collecting some skulls (so far I have a deer, raccoon (possibly?) and boar skull that were all found from animals already deceased). I would like to add a coyote skull into the mix (it would help me with drawing), and saw a really cool skull for purchase on Fur and Hide. However, I don't like the thought of buying a skull from an animal that was trapped, and I'm thinking that is probably how it was procured.

Are any of you aware of places that sell skulls that were found naturally, if places like that even exist?

Thank you, and sorry for my ramblings haha
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skulls

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Skulls unlimited is good. They make sure all animals come by legal means. They say they are ethically sourced but you would need to ask if their idea of ethical includes legally hunted animals. They make sure all laws are followed though.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:26 pm

The Bone Room is another natural history type place. All animals legally sourced. As above you may need to check for the source.

Necromance and Dapper Cadaver always have various biological specimens. These establishments are oriented towards macabre curiosities (just in case anyone reading is a little sensitive to that. Some people are but really they (stores) aren't bad)

You can also try science supply companies targeting teachers and homeschoolers.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 am

Apologies for the double post, I had a too late to edit addition.

If you are looking for more budget friendly sources, this site has museum, craft and low craft qualities.
http://www.promiselandranch.net/index.html As with most places sources will vary.

More (usually) budget friendly options:
Thrift stores, flea markets, auctions-pelts, taxidermy and skulls/bones often turn up. These items many times are vintage in which case the original source isn't as important. For auctions these types of items are usually mentioned in the listing.

Ebay, Listia and other online auctions are great as well. A mix of newer and vintage, sources may be listed.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Thank you all for the replies! I looked into Skulls unlimited, and they seem like a very good source. I'll have to look at the other resources, as well.

I'm not sure if my search for a coyote skull has ended though, because some family members found a skull on my family's property (it was rather odd. There was a pile of bones from what I am assuming is a baby coyote [the skull was probably smaller than my hand], and only a few feet away was a pile of deer bones. However, I'm not sure if the skull is coyote or opossum. What is the major difference?). I'm still intent on procuring a grown coyote skull, but this is making me wonder how many skulls are on the property :lol:
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Skulls Unlimited makes replica skulls too...so they're not actually from an animal at all.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”