ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Was going to post in the fox forum but...

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

vulpini

Was going to post in the fox forum but...

Postby vulpini » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Thought this one wasn't as much about fox care as exotics in general.

So yesterday I was browsing an Instagram account that posts cool things like little-known facts. Anyways, one of the posts was the dreaded one about how "You're able to buy tame foxes online--They cuddle like a cat but act like a dog." :wall: :wall: :-x

Needless to say, I was horrified by the comments which were mainly about people saying things like "@somebody WE NEED ONE" or "I found a breeder in Ohio!" and one that actually said "Guess who's going to buy a fox whenever I can"

I commented a very lengthy post about the care that owning a fox entails, including their undesirable behaviors, how no foxes are truly domestic except for the Siberian Fox Experiment ones, ect. (I tried to make it sound negative to keep people from pursuing the idea. I know that foxes, if cared for correctly, can be lovely pets, but I didn't want the other people to know that...thought it might be incentive for them to go ahead and buy one :lol: )

But my question is, how do you deal with people like this on social media? Obviously we all know that foxes do not cuddle or act like dogs, but people who have no experience or haven't done their research don't know that. I was genuinely concerned with some of the comments that seemed to suggest that some people were seriously wanting to get a fox.

Besides, I know my post was probably unheeded. I mean, if I didn't know about exotics I would have seen my comment and been like "well I can be the exception to that rule. I'm sure it's not that bad blahblahblah"

The destruction one person who has no idea what they are doing and buys an illegal exotic could be devastating--laws could change because of a bite by an improperly socialized animal, ect. What do you guys think is the best way to promote the responsible and knowledgeable owning of exotics without ensuring some poor animal gets euthanized because someone in a legal state saw a post on social media?

Do you guys think that exotic owners have a responsibility to educate the public if they post on social media?
Whisper

Re: Was going to post in the fox forum but...

Postby Whisper » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:12 pm

I think that if you post something about how great your exotic is, you should post at least something about the challenges. Or even post a link to the FAQ on here. If you are going to put thoughts into someones head, you should at least add some logic, if you really care about the species.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:21 am

it is so upsetting to me when stupid people post about foxes and other exotics and have no idea what the hell they are talking about. I just wish there was a way to have that post removed.

As we already know, foxes are not like dog or like cats, as with other exotics. It is hard to explain to someone that gets brain-washed. The best advice to tell new and potential owners is to get their information from people that have years of experience with them. Even with the Russian foxes, they still have the same traits as farm foxes. they still mark, and need an outdoor enclosure.

You can try replying to these post that you have the experience and chat with other responsible owners.
you could also ask "just how much experience does the person that posted that stupid information"

also, send them these two links:

http://sybilsden.com/reference/faq-fox.htm

http://www.thepetfox.net/2014/11/realit ... d-law.html

You can also mention that the two authors of those links have many years experience with foxes.

thank you for letting us know about that post.
can you send us a link to that? I don't have instragram, but, would be worth me signing up for it.
maybe the more people that chime in with common sense, the better.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Yes, it was really upsetting. Especially considering the fact that pretty much no one even acknowledged by extraordinarily lengthy post :roll:

Here's the post: https://instagram.com/p/769xvusGo2/?tak ... neverknown

It really, really annoyed me, because the picture is so adorable, and any uneducated person would immediately think that getting a fox is a /great/ idea, especially if they "cuddle like a cat and act like a dog." I've seen this post on at least one other account, too, just maybe not with that picture.

Thanks for the links! I'll be on the lookout for similar posts to this. I don't know if I could get the post taken down, but it would be nice if it could be...

I hope none of the people who were commenting were serious. You never know if someone is just joking around or is actually looking into getting a fox :icon-frown: It seemed like most of the people were just joking around with their friends, but you guys can probably tell better than me
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:59 pm

I went ahead and commented on the picture as well, encouraging people to research their care and legality before jumping into getting a fox.

Let's hope no poor foxes suffer because of these stupid internet "facts." It's like the image I saw of a "pomsky" saying "They stay this size!" and it's a picture of a puppy of a completely different breed! People just don't think when they see a cute picture on the internet. "I MUST HAVE!" is the only thought that crosses their mind and innocent animals pay for it. =/

Not that I should be one to talk, because honestly if foxes were legal here, I don't know if I would have the self control to not get one despite the fact that I can barely handle a dog. lol.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:44 pm

majority of those people are going to say 'oh cute, i'd love one' maybe run a google search on breeders in their area for 5-10 minutes, and then move on. i never worry about people like this.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:33 pm

naja-naja wrote:majority of those people are going to say 'oh cute, i'd love one' maybe run a google search on breeders in their area for 5-10 minutes, and then move on. i never worry about people like this.

Yeah, thats what i think. Especially with something like that, people (hopefully) know that it is too good to be true. My zorr, when hes in a good mood, will actually sometimes cuddle like a nippy cat. i probably got lucky, not that i would know cause he is the only fox ive had any experience with. Ive started training him for agility on his dog run, so im not holding his leash. He is doing good :mrgreen:
anyway, despite the fact that probably none of those fox "lovers" will succeed in getting one (i hope that breeders would be sensible enough not to sell to them) it is annoying.
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Someone replied to what I said in a way that I have no clue what they mean other than "they aren't meant to be pets, but wild, exotic animals." The rest makes it sound like English isn't their first language.

Whisper, are you going to post pictures/video of your fox doing agility? :O I'd love to see that.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:40 am

FallDeere wrote:Someone replied to what I said in a way that I have no clue what they mean other than "they aren't meant to be pets, but wild, exotic animals." The rest makes it sound like English isn't their first language.

Whisper, are you going to post pictures/video of your fox doing agility? :O I'd love to see that.

Ill try icon-smile i just have to figure out how to get him without me taking him through it :icon-wink: if there isnt a treat..... Just isnt happening. Haha. I could probably get a friend to do it.....
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:38 am

I saw that post too. It really bugged me. It's SO important to be responsible when posting about our pets and giving an honest portrayal of what they're really like... Don't get me wrong--it's GREAT to post all of our positive experiences and share them with the world. But it is equally important not to show a false portrait of ownership. Maybe I've become more cynical over the past few years, but I tend to mention the negatives a lot more now.

I've seen this becoming a problem in my area lately. People jumping into ownership without checking legalities. And now it looks like there may be a future law change. It's very frustrating.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:03 pm

I was bothered that pretty much no one even acknowledged my really long post about foxes (except for the one person who commented "chill..." :lol: )

It seemed like most of them were just joking around, but by the looks of some of the comments...

Anyways, it's just really scary to me how posts like this could lead to exotics being banned in even more places than they already are icon-sad
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:55 pm

this is the site that put that page about the fox.
here is the contact info:

http://uber-facts.com/contact-3/
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:03 pm

The second I mention to people about them marking EVERYTHING in a house, regardless of gender, spaying/neutering doesn't stop it, it stinks like skunk and will soak into any and all surfaces it comes into contact with, people usually turn their nose up at the idea. I don't even have to go into the fact that they must have an outdoor enclosure, and they don't think of it themselves because they just assume they'd keep it in the house 24/7.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”