PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

circuses

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

naja-naja

circuses

Postby naja-naja » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:50 pm

what is your opinion on animals, wild and domestic, in circuses. does it depend on the species, the conditions? are there any exceptions to your opinion? i'd be interested to hear. i'll wait until there are a few opinions posted before i post my own as i don't want to bias anyone or discourage those with a differing opinion from posting.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: circuses

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:52 pm

As long as the circus follows USDA protocol, then I think it's great. And I wish there were more of them! lol. :mrgreen:

Circuses in first-world countries are great. I know several people through facebook who work at circuses, and they have really opened my eyes. They've shown me how GOOD circuses can be. The AMAZING care their animals receive.

I have no problem with animals performing for profit. In fact, animals LOVE to work and be rewarded. There is no better enrichment than trick training for them. It keeps the animal healthy and strong. These activities also help increase the bond between animal and caretaker. The more comfortable an animal is performing, the happier it is going to be in a circus environment.

If anyone worries about the welfare of these animals and the conditions they are in when being trained, you can read about it in the USDA handbook. No animals are drugged EVER. No animals are harmed. Animals are given large breaks between shows.

Many are concerned about the elephants. To be honest, circuses take better care of their elephants than the "sanctuaries" that are trying to take them away. Circuses will rotate out their animals to ensure none are overworked. They have contracts with private exotic owners to house their elephants on their land. And they've got acres.

...Now

...there are some circuses in other countries where the animals do not receive the best treatment. And they suffer. It's very hard to know what to do in those situations, because usually countries that are lax on their animal welfare laws are also less privileged (India comes to mind). The last thing a man with a hungry family is going to be thinking about is putting a performing animal before his own children. You can't blame these people for that.

That being said, you can still choose to boycott those types of circuses and shows and spread awareness when it comes to animal welfare in those areas... But you have to know that there are much bigger issues in a country that allows animals to be hurt for profit.

In India they do cobra shows. The cobras have their fangs ripped out (literally), or they get their mouths sewn shut--no they don't take the stitches out, they use the cobra until it starves to death. It's the saddest thing ever. They keep the cobras in large pits and then go and select the alert, living ones for their shows. I can't stand to think about it, but shows like that happen in third-world countries. And as awful as it is, you cannot blame the humans who do it. As mentioned, they are putting their families first, and the last thing on their mind is animal welfare.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Re: circuses

Postby Whisper » Thu May 19, 2016 2:52 pm

I agree with Ash. If the animals are treated well, I think it's great! I know zorr would love to perform. He can be such a ham when people fuss over him.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”