PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

The "exotic pets belong in the wild/are wild animals!" Arguement

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

The "exotic pets belong in the wild/are wild animals!" Arguement

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Often when I mention exotic pets to people, this is the first thing that comes out of their mouth.

I've always found this quite silly though, because according to their opinion of "___ belongs in the wild because it isn't domesticated", doesn't make any sense considering there are many animals we keep as pets that aren't truly domesticated...Just tame.(Though I guess it depends on what your definition of domesticated is, since often we have different beliefs from the textbook definiton)
Not to mention all animals we have "domesticated" came from the wild at some point and are capable of harming humans like any other animal. (Heck, I've been bit by dogs and scratched by cats more than I have ever received a scratch or growl from the exotics I've pet-sat :lol: )

The other big one is "____ doesn't belong in an enclosure or with you; it belongs in the wild where it's happy!" And personally I think this is the silliest one. It should be plainly obvious to anyone who has met someone's exotic pet (that's being properly cared for) that the animal is more than content to be living with them.

People seem to just have a really idealized view on the way an animal "needs" to live. Like most other things with exotics, it probably stems from misinformation or lack of any in the first place.

What do you guys think about these topics, and are there any other things you've had people tell you or get mad about? icon_confused.gif
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Juska

Re: The "exotic pets belong in the wild/are wild animals!" Arguement

Postby Juska » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:33 pm

They fail to realize that letting that "wild" exotic pet "free" from it's "terrible, horrible slavery to humans" would cause either A. overpopulation, mass starvation and people killing them like ball pythons in Florida, or B. they would die within a few days because they lack the skills to provide for themselves. You know, because THEY'RE NOT WILD.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:16 pm

I can't find it now but a meme from South Park is going around says "We released all the zoo animals like you asked.... Now they're extinct"

There is no wild. It's not a Disney movie. Lions were killed for leaving their park/refuge land and killing farm animals. Bison are killed by ranchers when they leave yellow stone. Most all the "Wild" is actually managed parks, basically giant enclosures since they are killed when they leave.

Think a fox is happier in a furnished enclose with food and vet care or struggling to survive in a harsh "Wild" and then poisoned or shot by a farmer or hit by car?

That's my argument. Of course as Juska noted most exotics are bred in "captivity" for many generations so don't have any idea what wild is but that doesn't apply to my anteaters. But even so they know where home is and head back to it. They know the difference between wild and a house life and they still choose to come back home without my forcing them after exploring.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:38 am

Wanted to add that domestic-raised animals don't "long for the wild". They don't know what "the wild" is and I'm sure if they were abandoned out in the middle of nowhere without food or shelter they definitely wouldn't want anything but to go back to their home. With their guardians/food/toys/personal space.

You wouldn't abandon a dog far off in a forest or nature preserve because he's "better off there". Why is that? Because he has no instinct to hunt for the purpose of feeding himself on a regular basis. He doesn't know what's safe to eat. He doesn't know where to find water. He has no companionship. He has no shelter. He's never been left out in the cold. He has nothing, and will most likely die. Not to mention he's now at risk of being shot, injured, poisoned, hit by a car, predated on by other animals and becoming ill or dying of exposure. And there's no real hope of rescue, because you released him with the specific intent on him never coming into contact with humans again. Because he's "better off" that way.

He was someone's pet. Someone cared about him. But you felt he needed to be "free", so you took him away from everything he knew and left him alone with nothing.

Why would you EVER do that to ANY animal that was born and raised in a domestic setting? How is any pet different than this hypothetical dog, regardless of species? They all apply just the same.

Even animals that ARE taken from "the wild" typically cannot be returned to it once they have imprinted on humans. They lose those instincts and skills. So there's seriously no reason to believe that taking animals, that have been in the care of people, and throwing them outside is going to be better for them. Because it's not. Rehabbing wild animals that are injured or orphaned is one thing. Taking people's pets from their homes is another.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 pm

I think it's dumb when people say that.

Yes, by all means, let's release this wolf, bear,mountain lion, lion, tiger, etc. out in the wild where it will struggle to get food and starve to death. And that isn't even just because its been captive bred. I've watched many a documentary where wild born animals in the wild who know how to hunt have died of starvation. So, obviously, it would be even worse for a captive born animal that's never hunted in its life before.

Also, even if animals don't starve in this supposedly amazing and magical "wild", they'll get shot by hunters, poachers, ranchers, and even occasionally government officials for being "nuisance" animals.

Not to mention things like getting hit by cars and becoming roadkill, dying from diseases or illnesses, or even worse, having to live their whole lives with illnesses like mange, or even being killed by their own kind over territorial disputes, or killed by other larger predators depending on the species.

And of course most of the above also applies to prey animal species in addition to the fact that they also have to worry much more about being killed and eaten.

Yeah, that all sounds like a great and wonderful place of "freedom" for an animal to be.

Sometimes, I have to wonder if these people that think all animals should be in the wild have any idea what the wild is actually like for animals. We should force them to sit down and watch an animal documentary and see how animals starve to death or are shot at, etc., and then I bet they won't be advocating animals being in the wild so much anymore once they know what its really like.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 am

everyone here has said exactly how I feel about animals in the wild vs. animals in captivity.

a few people told me I should release my bears and other animals, it is cruel to keep them in a pen :roll: . they act like I have them in small pen :roll:
they would never survive,

the part that these idiots don't understand is yes, animals in the wild do move around in may different areas, that is because they are hunting for food, and escaping danger.

when people say all animals should be in the wild the word "stupid" comes to mind.

most if not all animals in wild is cruel. they suffer and starve. icon-sad

maybe we should tell these idiots well, OK, I will do that, only if you and your kids live in the wild.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 pm

On that aspect of it you can look at waterfowl to see that it's true,that they oly need that much land for finding food, they can stop migrating if people are feeding them.

"Feeding alters normal migration patterns of waterfowl by shortening or even eliminating them. Ducks, reluctant to leave in the winter, may not survive sudden cold. If the artificial feeding is stopped in time, ducks and geese can quickly adapt to finding natural foods and will follow their companions north."
http://hardeybordercollies.com/id91.html
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:33 pm

I usually here this argument as "wild animals belong in the wild." It's a thought-terminating cliche, which works because of the polysemy of "wild." However the people who make this argument are, frankly, not usually the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. With most people I can have somewhat productive conversations. They may not change their minds, but they won't say anything as insipid as that.

If you really want to fight your battles, I would try to force them to clarify their meaning. Ask them "why?" That will--as you note--usually bring them to "it's happier where it belongs" argument. Ask them how they know that, and perhaps try to bring up the domestication of dogs. I don't know if that would would, when it comes to people who use the "wild animals belong in the wild argument," I prefer to disengage entirely.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”