ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Pets for college bound grads

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pets for college bound grads

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Petco just sent me an ad saying to buy your grad a cool or cuddly pet to send them off with. What a horrible idea. Aside from most dorms not allowing even caged pets like guinea pigs, lizards and fish like they show in the ad, a college student is going to be going through a major life change and be super busy, tossing a new pet to care for on top of that is just a bad idea.
Juska

Re: Pets for college bound grads

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:35 pm

I'd be sending a feedback email to them about that. It is a horrible idea. Not only could you end up with an unwanted pet that they can't/won't take, like you said the kid probably doesn't have the time, money or room for a pet at that point in time.

Giving a living animal as a surprise gift is never a good idea. Get them a gift card and let them choose what they want to do with the money. Or you know, take them out to dinner or buy something useful like a laptop bag, desk lamp, a sheet set, etc.

PetSmart had these little plush gift card holders to give instead of a live animal. So you could get a little fish, bird or hamster plush with a little plastic card holder on it, and put a gift card in there enough to buy everything they need. Then if they don't want a pet, they don't have to go through the awkwardness of returning or giving the pet away and getting rid of all the equipment/housing...
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Well they did suggest getting a card so they could pick their own pet at the end but that only makes it slightly better as the whole message was about getting them a pet to take with them. But yeah at least if they are smart they could decline to use it for a pet if they got a card.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Worst idea ever. I don't know how they think that's a good idea. I know tons of people who've had to rehome their animals due to college. My sister's roommates had a hamster that got found out and they had to get rid of it. And that was a hamster!

To be honest, a snake would be the best college pet, but unfortunately dorms and apartments are freaked out about them and don't want them in the building. Which is too bad. But even then, any animal (even if it's something simple to keep like a corn snake that eats once a week) is going to be an added level of stress. I found that out. I kept my animals, but it is insanely hard taking care of animals, working, and going to college all at the same time.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Some colleges actually let you have pets. There's even one dedicated entirely to cats. Of course ,you can have cats as pets, but no dogs are allowed. ;)

You do make a good point, TG, though that most colleges don't allow pets and even if you could have a pet, you'd be too busy with homework and coursework to take proper care of the pet and give it the attention it needs. Now, if we were talking something a little more low maintenance, like a fish, as long as you remember to check how clean the tank/bowl is and have a filter or somewhere to put the fish(where its still in water obviously) while you clean out the bowl/tank and you remember to feed the fish, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. However, it would be extra responsibilities to remember. Can't forget to feed your fish because your too busy studying. That wouldn't be good.

Oh, and as for the cat college, it's in this list:
http://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/25-gr ... al-lovers/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Keeping fish and having them live more than a year is way harder than people think. Weekly water changes, pH balancing, feeding correctly, washing/sanitizing gravel and decorations...ugh. Never again. I liked having fish but taking care of them properly is best suited to real fish fanatics.

Don't get me started on idiots that keep bettas in 1/2 gallon cups with no light or filter..."Oh, they can live in puddles in the wild so they're perfectly fine living in dark stagnant open water on my nightstand".
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I also just thought of another problem with this. If they are going to college out of state, the pet might not be legal in the state they are going. For example, I was in a pet shop in the mall here and they had sugar gliders, prairie dogs, and hedgehogs. Besides the fact that I'm not in a situation where I can have any pets right now, I am also considering moving to California for college where, stupid as it is, all those animals are banned. Even if I had bought a ferret that I had seen in a Petco on a different day, I still wouldn't be able to take even it with me to California cause they are banned as well. :/

@Juska:
Well, that certainly explains why all the fish we had when I was growing up only lived a few months. I just thought they had really short lifespans.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:30 pm

It's not a well publicized issue but many college towns have a real issue with abandoned pets, that peaks at breaks and graduation since the students had them hidden in there rooms and such and now can't take them with them. And then there's the getting caught ones who then dump them at that time. Some colleges have even had issue with feral rabbit colonies from people dumping them.
Minty

Postby Minty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:52 am

Buying someone an animal without consulting them seems like a bad idea in most situations, let alone when they're going off to college, unless the person giving the animal is willing to take care of it if the receiver can not. The city I live in has 5 colleges, so we never have a shortage of animals in shelters. The local news station even did a segment where the tried to ask people to fully consider if they can provide a forever home, etc.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 pm

In Austin, there's a petstore called Zookeeper. Despite the name it doesn't sell any animals that your typical petstore wouldn't sell. However in the front of the store they have a sloth named Sophia. She's not for sale. Some guy gave him to his daughter--who was an undergraduate at UT--as a present. Which would be cool if she were really into exotic pets, but she got bored with it and fortunately found a place that will take care of it properly. However even though Sophia isn't for sale, people keep trying to buy her for their kids.

I think a lot of people just have no idea what's involved in caring for an animal other than a cat or dog, and I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Petco's marketing department is among them. Which is a very good argument for patronizing independent pet stores run by people who actually love animals.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:21 am

I've actually heard of that exact sloth from people who come into my workplace (I work at a reptile education facility). Interesting.

While people in general are stupid when it comes to what it takes to own these types of animals, most of it is straight-up ignorance. Teaching them why a sloth would be a bad pet would be an eye opener. If they had a sign there in the store, for example, detailing why I think that would help.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”