PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A dog's purpose

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

A dog's purpose

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/18/a-dogs-pu ... use-video/

So people are all outraged they forced the dog into the water. Okay moving water so a bit different but my dogs have always been scared of going in the bath but I forced them when needed. Have dunked them in the river to cool off against their will too and used to toss my old dog into the lake where we used to lived. Guess I'm abusive? When there did seem to be a problem at the end they were right there to help but they cut off right then to make it look worse and more dramatic than I'm sure it was. Mountain out of a mole hill. No one was being cruel here.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A dog's purpose

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 am

That's dumb. People have forgotten what abuse really means these days.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 am

Think this may have been from an article's comments but it was shared on FB
"Hi yes, ACTUAL dog trainer and dog behaviorist here. Sorry to interrupt your pitchforks and torches fest but this article is extremely misleading and is presented as a shock factor rather then presenting an actual, studied opinion of the video.

If you watch the clip, which I did, there is a lot of subtle stuff going on. First of all, rushing water is scary to ANY sort of animal, let alone a German Shepard who isn’t really a water dog like a Lab. You can see how the trainer is constantly touching the dog gently on the side and loin. He is reassuring the animal while keeping a snug grip on the collar. (Which is a flat collar btw so it can’t really do any damage to the dog even with him holding it) He is also down on the animals level, not hovering above the dog. And if you look closely, you can see that this man is constantly talking to the dog, obviously reassuring the animal. Furthermore, this is a movie dog, they have dealt with all sorts of scary situations before. This is probably the very first time that this animal was introduced to this situation and I bet you money that if we saw more of the clip, you would see them repeat this process slowly and gently until the animal relaxed.

Finally, you see the animal try to pull away. Again, perfectly normal for an animal that is scared, but again, you see the trainer pull the dog back (not yank it sharply back or drag it back) and then place the dog in the water. The actual time in the water is extremely brief and you can see that the trainer doesn’t let go of the dog and immediately pulls the animal out again after a few seconds. Just like putting a child in the bath tub for a little bit, the trainer is establishing that the water won’t harm the dog and kept the training session brief. Convenient that the clip stops before it shows you the trainer rewarding the animal in some way, which I can guarantee you they did.

Finally, I will leave you with two things. One, if the dog was actually being abused it would be responding by trying to snap at the person holding the collar and the body language would be pure terror with the tail language and hackles. German Shepards are not scared to tell you when they don’t want to do something and this dog is no different. Two, there are so many laws and regulations in place to stop the abuse of animals in movies. There is ALWAYS a representative of these organizations on site during filming whenever there is any sort of animal involved.

Don’t spread misinformation and misunderstanding please. Just like your mom forced you to eat your veggies when you were young, sometimes working with animals means encouraging them to go into situations that is way outside their instincts."
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 pm

To me, it did look rather cruel. what we don't know or I don't anyway, how did they start this dog out?
I would think water, then a slow rush of water, then continue to the point they wanted. :shrug:
the height to where the water was, looked rather steep. hopefully, they had enough sense to start the dog out at a slower height.

I was a bit concerned they cut the film. however, two guys went to rescue the dog.
I assume the dog is OK, but, most likely scared the hell out of him.

peta is on it :roll: :
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... /96736184/
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:03 pm

People are overreacting. Coaxing a dog to do something it doesn't want to do isn't abuse.
The video also has multiple cuts, which means the filmer wanted to hide something. I'm assuming the portions that were cut out showed the trainer calming the dog, and doing things to help coax it into the water; but to make the video look more dramatic and "abusive" they cut those portions out. Typical media! :lol:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm

"a volunteer" More often than not it was their job to do the things they are documenting didn't get done, like dirty cages. Their videos have been disproven in court many times so I am always super skeptical of them. USDA and CA F&W would be inspecting all licensed locations in CA regularly. There's no way it could be as bad as described on a regular basis could see the volunteer not doing their job for awhile then filming it though. Happens a lot. If you have staff of any sort got to keep an eagle eye on them.

As for cancer pig, often you just make an animal comfortable till it's their time when it's cancer. I'm an sure a vet was consulted.

Peacefulward wrote:People are overreacting. Coaxing a dog to do something it doesn't want to do isn't abuse.
The video also has multiple cuts, which means the filmer wanted to hide something. I'm assuming the portions that were cut out showed the trainer calming the dog, and doing things to help coax it into the water; but to make the video look more dramatic and "abusive" they cut those portions out. Typical media! :lol:

Yeah just like the trainer above I quoted explained. Which fits with what the filmmakers said that the dog had many days of training with the water before filming day and he didn't that day so they didn't and did it later when he was ready.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:17 am

I don't know who this guy is but he sums it all up quite well https://www.facebook.com/DeFrancoNation ... 167804407/

Sadly they have postponed the release of the movie now. I hope they do have some footage to disprove the claims, one issue with this is the cameras were probably all set up for close ups rather than filming out to get the trainer and such(that would ruin it for the movie).
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:53 am

Posted this on my Facebook.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:13 pm

They would have nothing to gain by just throwing a dog into water suddenly. The actions of the dog wouldn't be as anticipated. The scene wouldn't go as the director wanted.

These articles are nothing but fodder for people who need to be constantly upset and outraged by something.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:17 pm

These days, putting a dress on a dog or telling it "no" is abuse, SeaWorld shows are abuse, and just owning an exotic animal is abuse, so nothing surprising here...

(I made this picture to display this really weird mindset and to show what real abuse is, beware, it is very graphic: http://s17.postimg.org/l8syq3jn1/Abuse_spotting.png )
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:18 am

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/19/a-dogs-pu ... -no-abuse/
Studio sources tell us they've looked at all the footage and say producers blocked out a scene where the dog was supposed to enter the pool at a designated location. We're told the dog rehearsed the scene and was fine, but then producers changed the point of entry and that's when Hercules got upset.

That wont calm the rabid fanatics though. The dog was scared, no matter what the reason was to them a dog getting scared is abuse.

@ Nìmwey Yeah people need to learn what abuse is. At the worst this was mean to put him in when scared. Mean things are done to even pampered pets all the time like scary baths, grooming and vet visits. If they could provide some footage of him jumping in willingly on another day that could help some but as I said before they probably don't have wide views so can't.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:49 am

https://www.facebook.com/Adogspurpose/p ... 6814809792
Screenwriters make no more money if the movie is a box office hit or if it is a flop. I am proud of the messages in the movie and the book and support both.

I have asked that the original footage be released and am hearing that this is unlikely because it would have to be edited for length and once it is edited, well, then it is no better than the TMZ video, is it? I still think they should release it, but it isn't my call.

I think reasonable people can disagree about whether the dog was "terrified" or was experiencing some other emotion. In my view, since the dog had been fine swimming in the pool the whole time, it had more to do with being unhappy with being asked to jump in from the wrong side. And that's the point, isn't it? The dog was unhappy. We can all agree on that. I believe it was a mistake to try to continue to persuade Hercules to get in from that side once it was clear he didn't want to. Once he could jump in from the correct side, he was happy.

I am trying to say that people make mistakes, even when they are supposed to be committed to a firm, established principle of behavior. If you cannot forgive this mistake, I accept your decision. I have made mistakes myself, and hope that when no permanent harm is the result, I might be forgiven.

and
https://www.facebook.com/Adogspurpose/p ... 6533824792
Official statement from W. Bruce Cameron

First I want to thank everyone—and there have been literally thousands of you—who have written to express support. Your words and thoughts mean the world to us.

I found the video we’ve all seen to be shocking because when I was on set, the ethic of everyone was the safety and comfort of the dogs.

If the people who shot and edited the video thought something was wrong, why did they wait fifteen months to do anything about it, instead of immediately going to the authorities?

I have since viewed footage taken of the day in question, when I wasn’t there, and it paints an entirely different picture.

The written commentary accompanying the edited video mischaracterizes what happened. The dog was not terrified and not thrown in the water—I’ve seen footage of Hercules earlier that day joyfully jumping in the pool. When he was asked to perform the stunt from the other side of the pool, which was not how he had been doing it all day, he balked. The mistake was trying to dip the dog in the water to show him it was okay—the water wasn’t his issue, it was the location that was the issue, and the dog happily did the stunt when he was allowed to return to his original spot.

I also didn’t like it when Hercules’s head briefly went under water, but there was a scuba diver and a trainer in the pool to protect him. He loves the water, wasn’t in danger, and wasn’t upset.

On a movie where the mantra was the safety and comfort of the dogs, mistakes were made, and everything needs to be done to make sure those errors are not repeated. But the reason American Humane certifies that no animals were harmed during the making of the film is that no animals were harmed during the making of the film.

I celebrate animal rescue and am proud of the values that show up in A Dog’s Purpose. -- W. Bruce Cameron 1/20/17

Maybe everyone can calm down now, but probably not, Peta wants people to keep freaking out so they will plus the resolution never gets as much press as the initial shocker.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”