PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Canuk the crow assulted

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Canuk the crow assulted

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 pm

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... occer-game

A bunch of people are getting bent out of shape about this line: "The take-home lesson is that if we are going to tame something we have to ask if we are able to take care of it,” she said."

Maybe could have been worded better but I just don't see it as a problem to warn people that releasing an animal you tamed is a risk to them. I mean Canuk is cool but his publicity will make others want too and they should know it's a risk to the critter to not be raised properly for release instead of just released after being raised pet style. Not everyone is cool with a seemingly wild animal coming up to them.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Canuk the crow assulted

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:35 pm

And she clarified, just how I first took it.
http://www.vancourier.com/news/meet-the ... 1.13118606
What would you like people to know about birds that you don’t think they know?

If it’s possible, if you’re in a situation where you have a wild bird that is a baby, if it can possibly be raised in community with other birds of its own species, that would be preferable. I just hope Canuck is a little bit wiser in his choices of activities as he goes back into the real world. Crows are smart, so I’m hoping he will not be as trusting as he is now. He really assumes everybody is his best friend and, of course, that’s not the case. When you’re raised by your parents, they teach you things, and when you’re raised by humans, they just don’t have the same skills. So it’s a very kind thing for people to raise orphaned birds, but if it can be done in such a way in combination with some biological information so you don’t end up with a strongly imprinted bird, and if you do, you have to make adjustments for that as well. [Canuck] is a great individual. Just great. It’s a wonderful thing for people of [the] community to have an individual like him. He’s a great ambassador for crows in general, and he’s a wonderful thing for children to see and learn about, but the cost to him so far… I mean, he’s done well to get as far as he has in age and not have something terrible happen to him, but I can only really hope that he’s a little bit wiser for it.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Tamed animals should not be released without very specific circumstances. Stupid.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Yep. It was a kid who raised and released him so that kid's parent's fault. This guy has just been his friend since. But his story has seemed a fairly tale till now. Well know friendly crow about town that everyone loves, only in reality Vancouver is a city and not everyone loves crows.

At this point since he's used to being free I guess it will depend on how well he recovers if let go again but his free life will always be a risk. On the other hand he might actually be fine being kept too, if legal, stay with his buddy, have a large aviary, ride about town on his keeper with a bird leash on.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah, irresponsible parents. Hope they learned an important lesson - you cannot trust your
fellow humans to behave in ways you expect, or hope, or wish.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:37 am

Releasing tame animals is bad and dangerous for the animals. Not a bird, but there was a very tame wolf named Romeo in Alaska that went up to people and dogs and interacted with them and some idiot hunter killed him because he was an easy target. :/ Not sure if people would hunt a crow too or not though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”