PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Why do people hate exotic pets so much?

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Why do people hate exotic pets so much?

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Why do people feel the need to harass or criticize you for owning an exotic animal, even if they don't even know what species it is?

Why do people feel the need to try to dictate what everyone can or cannot own, or "should and shouldn't own"?

Why do people believe that animals are either puppy dog tame or crazy and wild, with no in between?
Why do they believe animals are either domesticated or wild, with no such thing as "tame"?

What happened to the reptile, bird, pocket pet, and other animal keeping communities sticking together to defend their sister hobbies? Now they also hate exotics, despite owning exotics themselves, and suffering from the very same discrimination and stereotypes that exotic mammals get.

It's sad... All I want is to be left alone to choose what animals I can own, but people vehemently disagree and try to ban their ownership. What happened to live and let live?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Juska

Re: Why do people hate exotic pets so much?

Postby Juska » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm

I think it has something to do with people voicing their opinions as if they should be the law, and having them reinforced by others with the same opinion, on the internet. As well as the increasing support of vigilante justice being praised and called for like it's the right way to run society.
"Some people agreed with my opinion, that means it must be the right opinion to have, and anyone else is wrong!"
"I don't like what other people do privately with their lives and money, they should be banned from doing it!" And so on.

Long and short of it is, people think their unwarranted opinions matter, when it comes to how other people live their lives. No amount of laws or punishments will ever totally stop people from breaking the law or doing things. Making laws/unwritten societal rules harder on people who want to responsibly do/own things doesn't solve any problems.

Because it's not the majority right now to keep exotics, it's easy to step on the rights of people in the minority, and enact laws to keep them down. People have so many dogs and cats, that enforcing any laws about having them is next to pointless. Ask people in Pennsylvania if their dog or cat even wears a collar. Ask if the dog or cat has an up to date license and rabies vaccination (cats don't need licenses). Ask if they keep any kind of ID/license/vaccination tag on the dog or cat's collar. They don't. They'll have it the first year or two they own the animal, but after that they just don't bother. I have never heard or read of anyone in PA being punished for having an unlicensed dog.

But if you get caught with a pet fox in PA, without a license to own it? It's dead, and you're in deep trouble.

When they see an exotic animal in a sanctuary, they say "Oh well that animal, who was born in the wild, can't be returned to the wild, because it imprinted on humans as a baby and doesn't know how to fend for itself"

Then people turn around and steal people's exotic pets, which are born in captivity and raised by humans, to "set them free" and never find out that animal died or was injured in "the wild", because it doesn't know how to fend for itself.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:51 pm

I think a part of the issue is the need to feel superior to others. Heck we are trained to. "eat your veggies other people are starving" "Smile others have it worse", "That wont happen to you cuz you're smarter than that person and wouldn't do what they did" And then people watch cop, court and "reality" tv so they can look down on others and feel better about themselves.

This seems especially prevalent with animals. "I'm better than those weird/crazy exotic owners because I'm normal and have a dog" Then take it farther and feel better still. "Those exotic owners are all abusive, I'm a saint compared to them"

But hey people who go after bad people are heroes so lets ban exotic owners, set their animals free, or just bully them, hey look at that now you're a hero.

It's seen with domestic too though. Don't feed the right diet and you're poisoning your pet. Dog in the yard, abuse. Take your dog for a walk on a hot day abuse. Leave your dog home alone instead, neglect. Let your housekeeping slide or have more than a couple pets, you're a hoarder now!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:23 pm

People need to learn that just because THEY might not personally like something, does not mean they have the right to take it from somebody else. It's okay if people disagree with us keeping exotics. But it's wrong for them to try to take them from us and prevent us from living the way we want.

Same goes for many of today's issues, it seems.

What happened to agree to disagree and let be?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm

It's really sad. My own family members criticize me for my interest in keeping exotics. My main family (members I live with) don't quite understand, but they are supportive of my interests and awesome.
My other family... Not so much. I didn't know it would hurt so much to have someone criticize my animals and tell me to get rid of them. icon-sad Thank goodness they don't live with me.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Peacefulward wrote:It's really sad. My own family members criticize me for my interest in keeping exotics. My main family (members I live with) don't quite understand, but they are supportive of my interests and awesome.
My other family... Not so much. I didn't know it would hurt so much to have someone criticize my animals and tell me to get rid of them. icon-sad Thank goodness they don't live with me.

don't let it bother you. it is your life, your decision not theirs. I get the same thing from a few family members, get rid your animals blah, blah, .
I just say "OK", and ignore it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 pm

I used to be very AR-minded, so I actually understand how anti-exotic people feel. I was once very anti-zoo/hunting/marine parks/breeding/etc. So off of what I felt during my delusional anti-captivity phase, I believed that animals should be free. I believed that animals that couldn't be released should only be in sanctuaries where they have a whole staff caring for them and attempting to make them as happy as they possibly could in their oh-so miserable captive lives. Many animal rights activists are very liberal and think people should do what they want. Now that may seem odd, but they think that the animals should be free to do as they please as well. You can't expect them to "agree to disagree" when they actually see what you are doing to be abusive. They see you keeping a poor, innocent animal hostage for your own benefit rather than the animal's. Imagine if you saw someone doing something that you 100% believed to be abusive. You wouldn't sit back and watch, would you?

Then there are the hypocrites that are anti-exotic but also own exotic animals. I passed through this hypocrite-phase to get to how I feel now, so I kinda understand this middle position as well. People think there should be a limit, and they see what they understand as the limit. Things that seem too complicated to care for, too foreign, dangerous, endangered, sensitive. People think that no one is capable of privately owning an animal like that, so they think it should not be allowed. If they see such an animal being kept as a pet, they immediately assume that it is being abused. These people believe that only a zoo with a large and professional staff could possibly care for an animal like that. People see a monkey as too complicated to care for, but a parrot doesn't, even though they are both extremely difficult. This is just a lack of understanding on the care needs of the animals.

Also, people don't usually like what they don't understand. This is why it is so important to explain how you feel and try to educate. And of course, there are people that just want to feel morally superior and think they are better or more "normal". But I wasn't want of them. I just thought it was cruel.

Anyway, this is just based on my own experience being anti-captivity. There are certainly many other perspectives. I'm obviously completely different now. Very pro-zoo, exotic, breeding, etc.
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am

pat wrote:
Peacefulward wrote:It's really sad. My own family members criticize me for my interest in keeping exotics. My main family (members I live with) don't quite understand, but they are supportive of my interests and awesome.

don't let it bother you. it is your life, your decision not theirs. I get the same thing from a few family members, get rid your animals blah, blah, .
I just say "OK", and ignore it.

How can one be not bothered from the ARs when they have legislative power?
Bora Kalem
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Thank you for your insight, Onyx. I was anti-exotic before I became interested in foxes, but it was more of the "I'm a member of society and have been brainwashed into thinking wild animals shouldn't be pets" type--not the passionate type. I'm just not really sure what to do if they won't agree to disagree. :/

I'm sorry Peacefulward about your family criticizing you. One of my aunts was VERY against me getting a fox when I first wanted one. Told me all the terrible things it would do, how it was wrong, etc. Now, however, it's been 6.5 years since getting Fable and she thinks he's the coolest fox ever. I hope your relative comes around and learns to understand and appreciate Vega for the amazing blessing he is in your life. Not saying your experience will be the same as mine, but wanting to let you know not to lose hope. You may just have to weather the storm, as hard as that can be.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ana

Postby Ana » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 pm

People love to control others, and they love even more someone to demonize. I don't think they
"hate" exotics, or the caregivers. Certainly to see any animal locked in a dirty cage is absolutely
infuriating and heartbreaking, but much worse when it's a wild creature. We can improve the
image vastly, one ethical guardian at a time, by never isolating a wild animal in subpar housing,
by socializing these animals, and creating living situations that undeniably improve the quality
of life for the animal. Animals living healthy, happy lives in homes we can be proud of will, over
time, reduce the stigma.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 am

*Haven't read thread*
Well that's easy.
People are not made to think. It's not human nature to think, and if we are not taught it and trained to think, we will not think.
And the media is constantly telling people to abhor exotic pet ownership (even if they're 100% pro-zoo - I was pro-zoo and anti-exotic pets just a few years ago), so that's what they will do. It's the current cultural atmosphere, and "trendy".
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:34 am

Great answers. Here's another reason. Exotic animals or so-called 'wild' animals are perceived as furry humans and even many or most exotic pet owners have this perception. Therefore, people think we are keeping prisoners or slaves. Too many Disney movies and others kiddie fare that they grew up with showing animals with human minds that we 'arrogant' humans are too conceited to see. So many media where animals have secret languages and are just being misunderstood then they get their 'furry vengeance'. Most people think when dogs bark they are saying words. I would say about 99.9% people believe animals actually have a language (they absolutely do not). People do not understand animals. People imagine themselves as an animal so they often say 'how would YOU feel if..". They all want to be birds flying 'free' above the tree tops because flying is pure recreational fun for a human, not a means of keeping yourself alive like it is for a bird. They can't begin to understand that a bird doesn't care that much about flying. Animals have the unusual status of being treated both as supreme beings and underlings. You will see people often say "I like animals more than people" and "humans need to learn from animals", ect., but none of them would hesitate to kill 100 animals to save their loved ones or even a stranger.

Tl:dr People are idiots.
Teela

Postby Teela » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 am

There are any number of reasons. They think there's a big difference between "wild" and "domestic" animals when there really isn't such a distinction. Every "domestic" animal started out as "wild", and domestic dogs can go feral pretty quickum if they have to. They'll do it even if they don't have a reason. Two domestic pet dogs I had formed a mini-pack and caught and killed a woodchuck, which they proceeded to take into the woods to eat. "Domestic" cats are actually considered "wild", which is why you don't need cat tags the way you need dog tags.

When I told my father about planning to get an otter, it was all like: "That's a wild animal; it belongs in the wild!"

Yeah, imagine that: condemning the poor critter to sleeping in a warm, clean, dry bed every night, having soft cushions to lay on, food that won't contain cysts and parasite's eggs, no possibility of becoming prey to coyotes or wolves, no possibility of stepping in a leg hold trap, or being shot, the companionship of the featherless biped who's a never ending source of new sights, sounds, scents, and tastes. The chance to live to be 30, instead of dying before even a decade is out. Ain't I just horrible?

That thought just never occurred to him, and I explained that if I thought couldn't give the critter at least as good a life as he'd have in the wild I wouldn't keep that critter.

Then there's the fault of the media. The media is full of stories of pet fails (and it isn't just about exotics either). They never feature the success stories. The 30000 flights that land without incident at a major international airport isn't news. The one that crashes and burns is news. Same principle.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”