PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Rant on a thing

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Buggle

Re: Rant on a thing

Postby Buggle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:They say they took them because she didn't show where a law says it's legal. They took them because the local law didn't know if it was legal. There's no state law against owning sloths. There's no law against it but because they couldn't show a law saying it's legal they took them. If you think that's good practice tons of people will get legal animals taken simply because no law explicitly says they can, instead of the standard where if no law says you can't it being okay.

People getting animals taken who actually did nothing wrong isn't uncommon. There are FB groups dedicated to this and the whole reason The Calvary Group exists.

Are you sure? It specifically says none of the animals can be owned without a state permit. They could be wrong but that's all I see for now. They even took the lizard and I doubt they would just remove those animals with zero purpose other than their own hunch. I know confiscations have occurred because people misinterpreted the law, but I haven't heard of a case where they just made it up entirely. Either way, if you're running a business like that it's good practice to let the town know what you're doing. Exotic animal businesses look sketchy if they don't have approval and people aren't aware it's there. They'll think the animals are illegally smuggled and all of that. I haven't seen any statements from the Sloth Center spreading awareness about an injustice that has occurred.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Yeah it says that but then also says. "the owners are licensed as a sloth rescue group in Oregon but couldn't produce any paperwork showing the animals could be legally owned in Washington state."

There are no state laws against owning them. The only thing needed would be import permits but that would have been back when the place first opened and they were moved there. If it's about import permits it's poorly worded, but it's poorly worded either way. If it's about import permits I didn't think you had to keep those on hand forever either and the state would have the info on file but was closed during the holiday weekend when they took them so couldn't be checked. No F&W or State officers were there, just local police who don't know the state laws on animals jumping to conclusions from the sound of it.

I'm sure she's talking with a lawyer and waiting on a judge rather than making public statements.
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Wow! Well OK we'll see
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:03 pm

http://kuow.org/post/sloths-lizards-ant ... y-seizures

The attorney for the owners is now petitioning for the animals' return on the grounds the seizures were improper and unjustified. The issue is headed for trial next month, although the owners may try to get a judge's attention sooner.

Thurston County animal control officers raided...

So yep local AC a seized them claiming state law issues only they don't know the state laws and state officials seem to have never gotten involved with this.

"Plaintiffs have serious concerns about the health of the seized animals, because some have extremely specialized diets and environmental needs," attorney Scott Milburn wrote in his petition to Thurston County District Court. "For example, the sloths have been shown to have an 80 percent mortality rate when placed under stress, and baby giant anteaters are an incredibly delicate species with a highly specialized guttural system."

The poor animals waiting in a new place, getting different care, and maybe not even right care, waiting on the slow wheels of justice to turn.

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”