please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

to eat meat or not?

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 am

I love all kinds of meat!! From where I live we eat Alligator and Rattle Snake and Venison and all other types of meat! Some people even eat Opposums... I don't think I could eat that...
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:49 am

I'd try possum but I think I heard somewhere they don't taste so good. I vaguely remember eating raccoon stew as a kid. I had gattor at a fair once.
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:59 am

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:I'd try possum but I think I heard somewhere they don't taste so good. I vaguely remember eating raccoon stew as a kid. I had gattor at a fair once.

Haha. I wouldn't try it.. Yuck! But I have had Gator and Raccoon! Alligator is good! Raccoon is alright(Sorry if I offend you, Raccoon owners). Every year South-Western Oklahoma has a Rattle Snake Roundup. Where there is thousands of Rattle Snakes! They fry some up and they have educational classes over them. They also have dare devils that go into large containers with rattle snakes all around them. It is an awesome experience! I love the way they fry those snakes up too! they have rides too! It is like a Carnival for rattle snakes!
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
Drache

Postby Drache » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:40 am

Ugh. Maybe we need a topic about rattlesnake roundups. They are absolutely horrible IMO. Needless cruelty and the unnecessary slaughter of thousands of snakes and other animals.
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am

I thought it was a great experience! :D
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Well the way to look at it is how would you feel if they had fox round ups?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:15 pm

is it sustainable? If yes then Im game.
Drache

Postby Drache » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:30 pm

^ It's not. At one time round-ups were a great way to reduce large numbers of rattlesnakes in certain areas. I think Sweetwater, TX is the biggest one now, the one I went to.

But now it's gotten so competitive and such a big money-maker that snakes are brought in from other areas, even other states! just so people can be involved.

That's not to mention the methods of catching the snakes are terrible (often killing thousands of other sometimes endangered species) and there is no discretion as far as the killing of gravid females, etc. The people who run them claim that they are learning something from catching so many of these snakes, but so far none of the information gathered there has been published in any scientific venue at all. Most of the time there is very little educational information provided to the public at these events, and even if it is it's obviously only added as an after-thought, an excuse.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:56 pm

I had seen where one of the regular winners of one of these competitions did do it sustainably, and that's why he wins but even he admitted most don't do it that way. They do things like use gasoline down animal burrows to get the snakes, never mind what else is in there.

I went to one website and in one weekend they bring in 13,000 pounds of snakes. I'm not against hunting but it seems the whole point of these things is to try and exterminate them.

Beheading is also not considered a humane way to kill a snake because of how slowly their brain dies. You need to smash their heads in
http://redtailboa.net/forums/reptile-re ... eview.html
Describes the butcher cutting their heads off.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1029285420070312

Unlike other hunting there are no limits set or license needed to hunt them. It's slaughter as many as you can to win prizes and sell for money.

http://www.apnm.org/apnm/RattlesnakeRoundup.pdf

If they were hunted like other animals that would be different. You don't see any other animal hunted like this. It's like wolves and buffalo of the old west where they had bounties on them and killing as many as possible was celebrated. With the addition of being treated and killed inhumanely first. Take a bunch of scared snakes thrown all together in a holding box/area handled for public display then beheaded, which is not okay for reptiles.

Hunting is one thing but slaughter as many as you can and then celebrate it, with the wild animals being handled etc before killing in a very inhumane manner is something else entirely.

We didn't have rattlesnake round ups in CA. You just watch where you step instead ;)

But to be on topic. I would eat one.

It's only allowed because it's snakes. Anyone for wild bunny round ups?
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:38 pm

:roll: In Oklahoma, they release the live caught snakes back into the wild. They(Rattle Snakes) are no where near endangerment around here. Some places have more than others, but rattle snakes are still everywhere here!
I know this may not be on topic, but I just had to let you guys know.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:13 pm

I don't condone the roundups because of the way they're handled, as some have said already.

I also can't eat some meats because my digestive system is sensitive/weak to some foods, but I love me some turkey and chicken!

My boyfriend is a vegan because he thinks the way most meat is processed is disgusting, but he also can't handle some very fatty meats, so he's kind of a vegan against his will, haha.

I do indulge in dairy products, though I can't have whole milk because of the high fat content. Makes me sick as a dog, forgive the expression :lol: When I was younger and had a stronger stomach, I used to love Christmas ham and roast beef and the like.

I think the most "exotic" meats I've had were rabbit and horse. I used to live on a farm, so it was kind of inevitable. I didn't know it at the time either, because I was still a young'in. I don't think I would have eaten rabbit at that age if I had known what it was, but it was alright I suppose.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:28 am

Well releasing them again is a whole other can of worms. I know damned if you do and damned if you don't but.. I have a friend with the AZ herp society. They are NOT allowed to release a snake if they brought it home or had it in custody for 24hrs. You deal with them picking up and spreading diseases around. With the round up you bring them in from all over mingle them and spread who knows what amongst them then to other wild herps when released and not just snakes.

Species of concern in your state
3. Reptiles

Alligator Snapping Turtle (Macrochelys temminckii)
Map Turtle (Graptemys geographica)
Earless Lizard (Holbrookia maculata)
Round-tailed Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma modestum)
Texas Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma cornutum)
Gulf Crayfish Snake (Regina rigida sincola)
Louisiana Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum amaura)
Northern Scarlet Snake (Cemophora coccinea copei)
Texas Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis annectens)
Texas Longnosed Snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei tessellatus)
Western Mud Snake (Farancia abacura reinwardtii)
Desert Massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus edwardsii)

Due to the disease issues all further threatened by round ups.

I also found a quote that rattle snakes are endangered in 15 states though that includes things like the pygmy rattle snakes(Which DO range in OK). The massasauga rattlesnake is considered a vulnerable species and it's range is in OK. So there are endangered and threatened rattlesnakes in your state.
Tervicz

Re: to eat meat or not?

Postby Tervicz » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm

This is a tricky situation in my view. In the end a number of breeds and species are quite dependant on our meat consumption. Cows and pigs and sheep may very well become endangered if we did not eat them. Consumers demand meat, the farmer supplies that meat by breeding these animals which go down the chain to supply the consumers. The consumer's money goes up that same chain to motivate and allow the farmer to breed these breeds and animals. Suppose everyone stopped eating meat that chain would cease to exist and so who would still be breeding these animals?
That said it is true that certain breeds do and did go extinct because they lost economic value when other new breeds were introduced. I also think it's very important that every single one of these animals is treated with dignity and respect from the moment they are born until the moment they die because they are not 'dumb' animals just because we eat them. They may be just as docile and friendly as any pet animal you own. They are going to die for us so we owe them every bit of happiness we can offer. I also think that our meat consumption today is somewhat exaggerated to our needs and that we could manage with less. We do not need it every day.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am

Has anyone here heard of the "wildlife ranching" they do over in Africa? Its where they build a huge fence around an area and herd native species of herd animals into it, then live off of those animals for meat instead of wasting the vast amounts of money it takes to keep domestic farm animals that are not suited to the environment. Not only does it save on having to immunize, feed, water and protect domestic animals that can't do it themselves, it also saves the environment from erosion and overgrazing that cattle produce. It also keeps populations in control, and if a coyote or wolf takes a few, its no one's loss.

I think America should adopt this concept with our native species, and try to phase out cattle for the most part. Unfortunately big industry would probably shoot this idea down pretty quick :|
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 05, 2011 4:28 pm

I'd never heard of rattlesnake roundups before, and now that I have, I really don't like it if they're killed inhumanely. That's just cruel. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the snakes were treated well before being killed, but it doesn't sound like they are.

So snakes can still feel if their head is cut off? :cry: Has their been research to support that? I always thought it was just their nerves reacting to stimuli--similar to chickens jumping around after their heads are cut off. How do we know that they are in pain?

As for the most exotic thing I've eaten, it would be alligator. There's a restaurant around my hometown where all they serve is gator. It's pretty good, but it's difficult to get past the fact that you're eating gator.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”