ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Cropping and Docking

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: Cropping and Docking

Postby Juska » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:18 am

Ash wrote:Yikes... Yeah, I've heard in the larger breeds they'll smack their tails so hard they injure themselves. I mentioned dobermans often doing that above, but other breeds can certainly do that.

Small dogs are subject to this as well. Italian Greyhounds are almost notorious for breaking their tails. I think it's more that the dog's tail is thin and bony to begin with and not just how hard they wag/hit it against something.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
GitaBooks

Re: Cropping and Docking

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Speaking factually, I can say that there are both good reasons and poor reasons for docking/cropping. Good reasons for ear cropping are constant infections, issues with hematomas or similar issues. Tail docking for dogs that chase their tails or hit them against things makes sense as well. However, we have a dog at the shelter where I volunteer that had a home crop job of the ears and now has a chronic issue from it. It can also make it harder for dogs to read one anothers' behavior, since they rely on the ears and tail for that purpose.
Dogs in a good house hold rarely injure their tails from wagging, but it sure can hurt people's legs if they hit into you. We should know, we had a tail wagger of a dog who would smack you like a falling branch. He never got hurt, but we sure did. : )

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”