ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

What trouble has AR activists given you?

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

trish_clare

What trouble has AR activists given you?

Postby trish_clare » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm curious about any trouble animal rights activists (or anyone who disagrees with owning exotics) has given you? Or if you have any stories to share about friends. (I know poor Gizmo's mom probably has a ton)

I don't own any exotics yet, but I'm very open about my plans to and I get many speeches about how it's not right.

I did read about someone who had a bobcat and spent over 7,500 dollars on him and his enclosure and was a great owner. I honestly cannot remember the full story, so this may not be exactly it, but from what I recall he had a license and everything but something was wrong with the county and they decided he couldn't keep his bobcat. He got tons of help from the media, online, etc but that only made it worse because they wanted to keep it private. Carol Baskin made a public statement that she was willing to take his bobcat to her sanctuary and away from "bad exotic owners", but (thankfully) he was sent to the zoo instead. :icon-frown:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What trouble has AR activists given you?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 pm

My USDA inspector told me the first day to check with the office if someone besides him ever shows up. A pet store had all their animals stolen by, he said, AR people who pretended to be USDA and confiscating the animals.

A lady who bred fennecs also had a bunch of rescued fur farm foxes she was hoping to place. A lady came pretending to want a fennec and managed to sneak off and set the foxes "free". All were found but all but one was found dead.
ippyriddle

Postby ippyriddle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:55 pm

TamanduaGirl on another forum I believe it was you who said something about never letting anyone but your USDA inspector allow access to your animals because of AR activists, not even the Humane Society and such.

That story of all the foxes dying but one is the reason why AR groups really do not know what they're doing and talking about (though they do have good intentions). Animals after generations of breeding in captivity lose skills to survive in the wild like staying away from people (who in captivity give affection and in the wild usually are hunt foxes).
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:35 pm

I for the most part have been fortunate concerning 'incidents' with people who didn't approve of my 'pets'. Just some verbal altercations.

I always referred to 'worked with' rather than owned as a way of keeping the wrong people from becoming nosy about where I lived, what animals I had, etc.

The oddest incident was a combination of AR and religion specifically concerning snakes. Keeping the poor wild animals in captivity is bad enough but to keep serpents which God himself cursed showed I was in cahoots with the Devil therefore posessed and therefore in need of an exorcism.
have run into the situation several times so must be a specific denomination or church that's local here.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:31 pm

I"m so glad I read this. I never knew those AR people could be so shady!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
BattleMage

Postby BattleMage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Well, I am in Canada, and never heard of PETA before visiting this forum. So I "kind of know" it is a AR group, but this http://www.petakillsanimals.com/, give me trouble ... in my head :shock:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Thank goodness PETA has never visited this site. PETA are hypocrites through and through.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
MGinKC

Postby MGinKC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:40 am

If AR activists are given you trouble, take out a bucket of KFC and eat it in front of their faces. Problem solved. :mrgreen:
Matt
FrayWolf

Postby FrayWolf » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:33 am

As a hunter, fur trapper, and exotic animal owner I have recived many threats from AR/PETA people and even death threats. Not from having exotic animals specifically, only a few. Not many people I have met in person are against it. (Usually over hunting or trapping)

So yeah, LOTS of hate and some death threats. But I also don't tell many people about my exotics unless I know them.
He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique to all the world... ❤︎
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:23 am

welcome to sybil's message board.

wow, death threats. didn't know they would go that far.
what type of death treats?

I personally have nothing against hunting, just not too keen on trapping, unless it is done humanly.
don't like the foot traps, that is cruel. people use to use foot traps in the corn fields, and would not check them for a couple days. one time my dog got caught in it. luckily, there was someone that seen and heard him and released him.

what type of animals do you have? hope you will post pictures of them when you get time.

where and how do you know that a person is peta/ar?

do you know if and how often they are known for opening animal enclosures?
about a month ago, someone opened one of the doors to my bears enclosure.
the door is 10" thick and will not open when unlatched, the door a very heavy bar that goes across the door. so there is no way, the bears could have opened it. there is no way to open from the inside.

I live in a rural area with corn fields around me. sometimes I hear quads, or people in the fields.
my property has fencing,but, some spots are low enough to walk over.
however, in the last year or so, a big fancy housing development is across the street. :icon-frown:
my house cannot be seen very clear from there because of all the trees, but, not impossible to see either icon_confused.gif

I want to know who could be so stupid to do this. I am positive, I did not leave it unlatched.
that door is not used often. I now have a heavy duty lock on it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:36 pm

I haven't had any real AR nuts come after me, most likely because the most exotic pet I've owned were rats, but I have had people give me a VERY disgusted look and go "EWW! RATS??? THEY'RE DISGUSTING! How could you keep one as a pet!?"

Then I'd calmly mention that they have all passed away, which usually makes them feel terrible for calling my pets disgusting.

Then when I explain that they are like very small dogs that don't bark, are soft like a kitten and want to be with you all the time, they usually become interested in hearing more about them, or they at least drop the disgusted look on their face as if to say "Oh, I guess maybe they're not the same as slimy sewer rats that I only see in movies."
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:28 pm

The worst I have had are people who have gotten on me about breeding livestock or purchasing a purebred dog. Apparently, breeding livestock is "raping" them and a purchased dog is some how less deserving of a home than one from a shelter.

Ironically, it is never people who go to Animal control and pick up a $25 dog with its' rabies shot and nothing else that bust my chops for purchasing a dog. No, it's people who support the shelters with "rehoming" fees higher than some breeders' costs that get pissed at me - even after I explain that I've personally volunteered at those places, and know that the fees are generally outrageous.

Oh well, though.

I've heard some stories, though. Oh, have I ever heard stories. A friend of mine (who works at the Topeka exotic auction) has had people come in and try and release animals from the auction, claim to be there to purchase exotics (even when they bought tickets for the wrong days) and harm animals to make false abuse videos.

In the years I've been there, the worst I've seen (they've cracked down majorly and now have security) is someone did manage to steal a few animals, and then tried to re-sell a few and release others. Unsure how that turned out in the end.
FrayWolf

Postby FrayWolf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Thank you!

Yes death threats, and It does not stop at me, they have threatend not only me but my FAMILY! Mostly its done online. Usually it involves a lot of cussing, 'burn in hell', 'I hope you die a horrible, painful, slow, death', just stuff like that. I know of one of them who found my friends number and dared to call them them death threats :/

I can assure you I am humane as possible, I put the animal before anything else no matter how busy I am and never kill the animal unhumanily (like using a catch pole) to make a few extra dollars on the pelt. I only ever use a .22 to the brain, to ensure a quick, painless death. I also remove any non-target catches such as foxes, because I'm hoping to help restore the population from all the coyotes

I do use foot hold traps to catch coyotes because they are insanly overpopulated here and now there are hardly any rabbits, squirrels, or foxes which there used to be a lot of and have now killed all of my cousins cats. But the people wernt checking them everyday, really? Thats just sick...I could never do that to any animal, nor could my conscience allow me to. I ALWAYS check them everyday and if I absoutly can't for some reason I have my cousin to check them for me. For smaller animals I always use cage traps and DP's. I hate killing-type traps like conibear's because unless the animal gets caught around the neck it will be a very slow death...

I have a upper mid content wolfdog named Apollo, 5 snakes, 3 cats, a tarantula, and a schnauzer dog. However the best pet I have ever had is an arctic fox name Sabre who I miss sooooo much, he was my baby. And he would cuddle with me and jump into my arms <3
One day I will raise my own foxes, I just love them so much. Coyotes and wolves probally too.

Several people I could go to their account profile (on deviantART) and see that they were PETA or AR people, others were just uniformed on the topic (most of the time I can explain things in my prospective and they will calm down and sometimes even apologise, thank gosh for people who are willing to listen to other opinions)

I have know idea about the encloser thing as most of this is being done over the internet and this has never happend to me, but if it were to I would call the cops on them (I will also have cameras) I'm so sorry about your bears, were you able to get them back safely?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 pm

That's cool that you trap, Fraywolf. And I like that you check your traps daily and put the animal's well-being first. That's really how it ought to be done.

When you raise your own foxes, are you planning on pelting them? Or would it be to sell as pets? Neither bothers me at all as long as they receive good care and a painless death, which I know is what fur farms in the US are required to do.

I didn't realize you had a fox before. Sabre sounds like a real cutie.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
FrayWolf

Postby FrayWolf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Thank you! Yes I alawys put the animal first, its only right to respect the life that I am taking.

I plan on on pelting them as well as selling them to be pets (Dave is a really good example) They will have bigger cages off the ground and will all receve the best care and food, toys, nest boxes, and enrichment I can possible provide for them, reguardless of there fate I will love them all. I also plan on double fencing an acre or so around the cages to help keep people out and so I can let the foxes out to roam and explore, I want them to have the freedom to do what theu want. The ones I do cull will all be sold to the taxidermy industry, I dont like people wearing fur for only fashion I think its a shame. With taxidermy they can be loved and admired for many years to come as they were in their life.

He was! He was so fun to play with. I am honored to have been able to have him, if it wernt for him I would not be alive today. Sabre will have forever changed my life, even if it was cut so short...

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”