PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Trying to unify pet owners to save our animals. Please help

Hunting/Farming/Taxidermy, any topic that may get heated debate.

WARNING things may get a bit rougher here than the other forums.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

ATX Exotics

Trying to unify pet owners to save our animals. Please help

Postby ATX Exotics » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:11 pm

After reading through the site a little bit I have seen alot of anti PETA sentiment. It makes me happy inside. However, it goes much further than that and I am trying to fight back. This is my basic post that I am trying to spread through all the animal boards-
I am currently putting together a website that is designed to show the general public the antipet trend that has been building recently. I keep reptiles, and I am getting hit pretty hard on a national level. I know you guys with your furries are getting hit, too. My goal is to show the average dog owner that A) we are no different and B) they will be next. The reptile community follows the big opposition like HSUS, PETA and the overall governmental regulations pretty closely, as I'm sure you guys do, and we have seen a definitive trend with an end goal of 'no pets for anyone'. The general public funds this goal because they don't know any better. All I am doing is pulling together all of the information already out there and trying to create a simple narrative. Hopefully this narrative will lead others to see what I see. I am asking anybody with a stake in this fight to help by contributing content and links, videos, pictures, etc. My personal focus is reptiles but I want to unite us all against our common enemy. They have succeeded in controlling the fight by nibbling away at us seperately, saving the most difficult fight (dogs and cats) for last. It has to stop now or I see a very bleak future ahead. I am also encouraging everyone to participate in a grassroots ad campaign- fliers, magazine and newspaper ads, etc. Lead them to this sight with something like- 'We love our pets. Do you love yours? They are trying to take our families away from us and yours will be next.' with donttakeourpets .com. If we all start doing this in our local papers, tv stations or whatever you can afford, we can do what they have been doing to us- a consistent, prolonged assault on the public's perceptions. Maybe we can start to swing it back around.
If you want to see the site it is currently donttakeourpets.weebly.com, but I will switch it to the full domain by the weekend, I hope. Thank you for your support and feel free to contact me with any suggestions or critiques. I want this to be a group effort. Send any info, content or comments to goodgaimanomens@yahoo"
Already there have been cases of what are essentially extermination campaigns. Pennsylvania recently had to put together a veritable 'hedgehog railroad' to save their animals from a board that decided they would take away all permitting for small exotic mammals and euthanize them. Louisiana has a similar problem, with primate and small mammal owners who recently won awards for their animal care being summarily failed during surprise inspecions and the animals taken to overcrowded zoos or euthanized. Legislation has been introduced in numerous states that proposed $100,000 mandatory insurance policies for animals as innocuous as gerbils or goldfish. They are gaining ground swiftly, at times waiting only weeks between leaps of intrusive and ignorant legislation.
Please help me put this together and make this a success. I DO NOT WANT YOUR MONEY. I want you to spend it yourselves, according to your means, to help spread the word. I need help fleshing out the arguments with perspectives from all the factions of the pet/exotic animal community. I focus in reptiles and only have so much brain space, I can't be an authority on everything, nor do I want to be. This needs to be a community effort. Thank you for reading this and any help you can provide is appreciated.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to unify pet owners to save our animals. Please h

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:41 pm

All of us here feel the EXACT same way. I keep both reptiles and mammals, so I've been jumping back and forth from my home state's changing legislation to that federal python ban, fighting both. The federal python ban was extremely discouraging for me; I was really, really wanting a burmese, but now I can't get one until I've officially settled.

I'll do whatever you need to help out. It's so hard to organize people and to convince the public that the HSUS and PETA have an agenda. I'm a bit focused on Illinois at the moment, but hopefully that'll get resolved soon (for the better, I hope). Then I can focus on other states and federal proposals.

If you haven't, you should make some of the big snake breeders aware of your site and post a link to it on kingsnake.com. You could even ask BHB to feature your website on one of their Snakeybytes episodes.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Sorry. I don't have anything at a federal level or based on reptiles,but I do have something based on the Illinois ban Ash mentioned. You can mention how this bill is the work of AR people trying to ban domestics as well as exotics and how now it's just one state but they will try to get other states to follow with similiar bans and laws.

This is my post I made about it in the other topic:
Now they're including domestic breeds of dog? Feral and pariah are still domestic dogs. They are the same domestic species. Also, not all pariah are feral. Many have been in captivity for longer than non-pariah breeds,such as the pharoah hound,which has been tame since the time of the ancient egyptians. Others, such as the New Guinea Singing Dog and Carolina Dogs, although originally found in a feral state, are exclusively found in captivity now and many consider them domestic breeds. Some kennels have even registered them,but no major kennel like AKC, so the law would probably still consider them not a registered breed. -___-
Others,like the Canaan Dog, although still found feral in some parts of Israel, are commonly kept and bred in captivity,officially recognized by some smaller kennel clubs, and are even the national dog of Israel.

Also, prairie dogs and wild rats and mice? Really? It's no different or more dangerous than owning a domestic rat or mouse.

This bill has gone too far. It's banning domestics(like dog breeds) and semi-domestics(like prairie dogs). It's one thing with an exotic animals ban(although I don't agree with them),but when they start including domestics on the ban bill,it's an entirely different can of worms. It no longer becomes an over-reacting to trying to protect public safety with a ban but instead just turns into plain outright not wanting people to own animals at all,exotic or not. This bill clearly has animal liberationist scent all over it. First, they start with feral and pariah dogs because most people don't know what the terms mean,but then they start adding supposedly "dangerous" breeds of dog one by one,which will start with pitbulls and other breeds like that ,but then whenever they get a report of any breed of dog biting someone,even if it's a labrador, they'll push for adding it to the bill as dangerous because it bit someone even though it's only one incident until finally there are bearly any breeds of domestic dog at all allowed because most are banned and considered "dangerous". This bill isn't just taking away our rights as exotic owners;it's also taking away ours and others rights as owners of domestic pets.

This is unacceptable!

Also, for anti-peta stuff, there's this site called http://www.petakillsanimals.com that you can link to.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Youtube! Grab all the anti-peta stuff you can find and try to get some info out. Check REXANO as well and see if you can maybe get their support. I'll try an get my own information and see if I can get it out there, also Ragtagger may be able to help with all the info she has on individual ownership as well as zebra with her work with the siberian institute.

As for myself I only have my ferret but I do have lots of info on the misconceptions of weasels and a lot on all the bans going on. One thing you really should mention in big old letters is that PETA doesn't want ANYONE to have pets ever. That doesn't just mean exotics, it means dogs and cats as well.

I'll see what I can do personally to help and grab up some of my resources.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
ATX Exotics

Postby ATX Exotics » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks guys. I'm glad I'm finding like minded people. I know we are not as small a group as they make us out to be in the media.
@Caninesrock- Is there any way I could get you to write something up that describes the bill and outlines the problems you mention? I'm in TX, so I've been watching but not as close as you seem to be, so I could use the help. If you email me something and include some links to data that I can use to back it up I'll put it on the site. Otherwise its going to take me awhile to research it thoroughly enough to write competently.

The same goes for anyone else with info. I'm serious about wanting this to be a real group effort. I feel like it will be more powerful that way. Goodgaimanomens@yahoo.com.

@ Nova- The weasel issue is a good one. I'm hoping that if it takes off we can turn back the clock on some stuff thats already in place, like the ferret ban in CA. Send me what you have and I'll work that in as well.

I'm going to be calling some people this week, and I may go back down to the show in San Antonio to talk to Bob Clark and some others tomorrow. We were talking about his aldabras and retics and I got hit with the bug, forgot to bring this up. I'm hoping that I can get him, BHB, Kubes and some others to at least voice support for it and help me get people motivated. If there are comparable people in the mammal community (I don't know who they would be) lets try to get them behind this, too.

I'll try to check in regularly here, but if you have something you definitely want me to see email is the best option. Goodgaimanomens@yahoo.com
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:48 pm

ATX Exotics wrote:.... My goal is to show the average dog owner that A) we are no different and B) they will be next. The reptile community follows the big opposition like HSUS, PETA and the overall governmental regulations pretty closely, as I'm sure you guys do, and we have seen a definitive trend with an end goal of 'no pets for anyone'. The general public funds this goal because they don't know any better.....

I am ALWAYS, THINKING, ATX's portion of that post. I do not, "hang around" dog people. I am more into, the exotic bird and small mammal breeding group/circle. I do not really hang around "cat circles" either. Other then, cat rescue. But, that is mainly, from being in shelters/with rescue groups.

Anyway, my point, is this, how do we, make the average dog owner, understand "us". But, more importantly, understand, they are next. Other then, waiting, until it is too late.

Please all, give me, your thoughts and feelings!

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:47 pm

ATX Exotics wrote:Thanks guys. I'm glad I'm finding like minded people. I know we are not as small a group as they make us out to be in the media.
@Caninesrock- Is there any way I could get you to write something up that describes the bill and outlines the problems you mention? I'm in TX, so I've been watching but not as close as you seem to be, so I could use the help. If you email me something and include some links to data that I can use to back it up I'll put it on the site. Otherwise its going to take me awhile to research it thoroughly enough to write competently.

The same goes for anyone else with info. I'm serious about wanting this to be a real group effort. I feel like it will be more powerful that way. Goodgaimanomens@yahoo.com.

@ Nova- The weasel issue is a good one. I'm hoping that if it takes off we can turn back the clock on some stuff thats already in place, like the ferret ban in CA. Send me what you have and I'll work that in as well.

I'm going to be calling some people this week, and I may go back down to the show in San Antonio to talk to Bob Clark and some others tomorrow. We were talking about his aldabras and retics and I got hit with the bug, forgot to bring this up. I'm hoping that I can get him, BHB, Kubes and some others to at least voice support for it and help me get people motivated. If there are comparable people in the mammal community (I don't know who they would be) lets try to get them behind this, too.

I'll try to check in regularly here, but if you have something you definitely want me to see email is the best option. Goodgaimanomens@yahoo.com

I was specifically thinking of Bob Clark and BHB, actually. I think they would be great for you to talk to.

Joe from GW Exotic Animal Memorial Park has been fighting for the right to own mammals and other "dangerous" species for years. He's extremely active in the fight against all of this legislation and even has his own show. Maybe befriend him on facebook and see if he knows other people.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:12 am

I've written a few articles that I've submitted to newspapers but just haven't been printed. I could email them to you and you could decide if you like them and want to put them on your site.
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 am

I will contribute anything I can. I have rats, mice, a sand boa, a frog, a starling, a ferret, a horse, and some chickens in terms of less conventional pets. If you need photos or videos or ANYTHING just shoot me a PM. I will get it for you if I can. I'd also be happy to write about each of them as pets, try to show the public that just because they are different doesn't mean they are not my family. I also have a dog and two cats if you need anything on them, but that's easy stuff to find.

Good luck, and kudos for doing this. I want to help any way I can. My animals will be some of the ones next banned, especially the snake, starling, and ferret.
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I am currently working on a letter to deal with the federal exotic cat ban. When I get it finished, I'll let you know.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Lycrisa

Postby Lycrisa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm on entirely board too. I think it should extend to an educational program too for owners.
Because after those few fail to care for their exotics you'll see peta waving and pointing fingers "see! SEE! look what happens when you let them cage a poor little lion."
I breed mice, and I have to take them to an exotics vet even though they are domesticated by all definitions. They've already started the fight with dogs, with breed bans.

I'm really excited about this.<3
ATX Exotics

Postby ATX Exotics » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Yes, please, send me averything you guys have. Articles would be great, too.
As for educating people on proper care, we already work on that in alot of places. I am all for extending our reach, but I want to stay on topic as much as possible. The demographic I'm trying to reach isn't interested in learning how to care for the animals, those people are already with us. This is going to be geared more towards the rest of them.
Some stories about moments that highlight your animals intelligence or pet worthiness would be great.
I hadn't heard of the Exotic Animal Memorial Park. I will definitely look into that. I already talked to Bob Clark this weekend. He said he will look over the site and see what he can do. He's on the way to Germany right now, but I'm sure he will get back to me soon.
Goodgaimanomens@yahoo.com.
Lycrisa

Postby Lycrisa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 am

That's true, I hadn't thought of that.
Do you want posts here of moments or do you want Pm's ?
I'm not sure what you have in the way of articles yet but I could hunt
some of those down too.
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 am

Lycrisa, I think they want e-mails. ;)

And, I sent one. Haha.
Lycrisa

Postby Lycrisa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:12 am

Well derp. This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the forums until I get some new glasses xD
I'm sending some things now <3

Return to “Controversial ANIMAL Topics”