NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Can you own a Barn Owl?

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Can you own a Barn Owl?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:27 pm

I saw a youtube video of a Barn Owl playing with a Cat on a bed thought it was the cutest thing ever.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you own a Barn Owl?

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 am

They are native to the US, so therefore you can't own one easily. Native birds are a pain in the neck to get a license for and there are TONS of rules with them. A lady with exotics I was talking to was planning on taking in an injured raptor for educational purposes, but in the end it was just too much paperwork. She had a much easier time getting permits for her other exotics.

You can't have them for just pets. You must use them for either educational work or falconry. The popular owl kept as a pet in the trade is the Eurasian Eagle Owl. Since Eurasians aren't native, it's just a matter of working with state laws like if you were looking for the legalities of owning a fox. Nothing federal unless importing, but there's enough breeders in the US that you wouldn't have to import anyway.

If you're looking for a pet, it really isn't worth it to go through the paperwork in order to own a barn owl, since it can't really be kept a pet.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

It also depends on where you're from. It's very difficult to get them in the US for the reasons Ash stated, but if you're in a country like England, or I think I know the video you're referring to, which is Japan, they don't have the act that the US has that keeps you from having native animals. I think I've seen videos of people from the UK who have them as pets in aviaries, but don't take my word for it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Alynn wrote:It also depends on where you're from. It's very difficult to get them in the US for the reasons Ash stated, but if you're in a country like England, or I think I know the video you're referring to, which is Japan, they don't have the act that the US has that keeps you from having native animals. I think I've seen videos of people from the UK who have them as pets in aviaries, but don't take my word for it.

Yeah, in the UK especially they seem "quite common." After Harry Potter came out, I remember reading that there was a problem with people rushing out and buying owls and then realizing how much work they were, and then there were tons being given up.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:12 pm

What about non-native birds of prey, like Harris hawk?
I tried to look up keeping raptors in the US without being a falconer (I have no interest in hunting with birds, and all the training - of me and the birds - that entails), but it just says it's impossible and illegal. This really shocked me, as almost no animals are illegal to own federally.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 pm

The banned bird list https://www.fws.gov/birds/management/ma ... pecies.php

Parabuteo unicinctus is in fact listed so is banned and is native to parts of the US. You can have some exotic birds though, like pied crows aren't on the list, anything not on the list.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Eurasian eagle owls are very popular here in the US since completely non-native.

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”