hawk question..

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

hawk question..

Postby pat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:09 pm

lately, there have been 4-6 hawks flying overhead here.
so far, I believe they took one of my small ducks.

but, the one that really confuses me, is, I think they took my female peacock.
all I found on the ground, was one wing (no blood) and a couple feathers on the ground.

I am shocked they could have taken her. I think (not sure) the peacock was nesting in a tree.
I know my two coonhounds didn't do it. I doubt my beagle killed her. because I would have seen
blood and a path of feathers, because there was no body or body parts.

so, my question is, could a hawk do this, or if there was more than one, do they team up?
when hawks do this, do they always sweep down?
I am totally baffled. I don't know anything about hawks.

also, any ideas how to discourage them from flying around here? my dogs are not always outside.
but, even if they were, they would not be able to patrol the whole property.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Re: hawk question..

Postby Juska » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Do you know if you have any eagles in the area? They can carry off a lot, weight-wise. We have eagles living around us and my mother is always afraid they're going to grab Conte right out of the back yard :lol:

I don't know why they would leave behind a whole wing though. Why any predator would do that baffles me...not sure. Maybe it depends on what kind of hawks they are? I wouldn't think they hunt together/share meals.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm

juska,

I am not sure if there are eagles. could be, but, when they are so high up, it is hard to tell.

I just found maybe a nest of possibly hawks. it is hard to tell. but, the way the babies were flying,
and the size, looks like they could be hawks or eagles. I tried looking with binoculars, but, then couldn't find the nest I seen earlier.

now today, I did not see any hawks. so, maybe they are feasting on my poor peacock. :shrug:
I am paranoid now. hope they don't take my cats or even my beagle. (doubt they would take my beagle)
but, I am paranoid.

I was reading that if there are turkeys or roosters in the yard, hawks don't bother.
I had a male turkey for almost 10 years. never seen a hawk problem until now.
my turkey died a few months or ago.

right now, I worry about my ducks and geese in and near the pond.

it is weird the way I found that wing. it looks like it was pulled out. but now blood. I am confused.
my peacock could have been in a tree and maybe the hawk did a surprise attack.

do eagles fly the same as hawks? the hawks kind of glide when they fly.

thank you much for your reply.

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:22 pm

The only way I can think the wing was removed without having blood was after it had been killed. Perhaps they were carrying it to another location and dropped it.

They both glide in the air. Though I think since eagles are larger they need to flap more. I watched videos of both in flight and it seemed hawks can glide longer. Hawks are also really fast when they want to be. Eagles make their nests really high up, so I'm not sure if it would be them so close to people. Baby and young Bald Eagles are brown and grow their white head later. They might be Golden Eagles.

A photo or video of the birds in question might help. My mom frequently photographs the hawks flying around our area. We live in a little valley surrounded by hills so they make out pretty good.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 pm

I seen one of the hawks late today. it was up in a tree, I think calling her babies.
(either that, or she had a belly ach from eating too much) :lol:

I seen the hawk thru binoculars. yep, it is definitely a hawk. it was brown.
she was callling her babies, I walked to the tree she was in, and she finally flew away with her babies.
also seen another passing thru.

I might get another tom turkey. I never had hawk problem when he was alive.
I do have two geese, one is old. don't know how much they help, cause a hawk got
a small duck. I still have another small duck and 3 regular size ones.
all ducks but 1, stays with one goose, the other duck stays with my older goose.

I might see if I can get a fake owl that moves. was also reading mirrors help deter hawks. :shrug:

again, thank you for you input, much appreciated.

lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Pat, two years ago, I finally corralled all of my peacocks into the arena and haven't let them out since. Hawks had started killing them during the day but even worse, owls started killing them at night. The owls would sometimes kill as many as three a night. They would just take their heads and leave their bodies. It seemed to just be sport for them. Now, we don't get to enjoy them out in the yard everyday and I feel terrible they are unable to roam the yard in the sunlight and feast on insects. I tried to think of everything to protect them. I even bought lights that blink and were supposed to scare the owls. The hawks and owls are still here, feasting on squirrels and rabbits, so I know if I let my babies out, they will continue to be slaughtered. I miss seeing them in the yard everyday but worse, I feel bad they aren't able to enjoy the outdoors they love so much. I wrestle everyday about what would be best for them. Let me know if you figure anything out.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 pm

lavenderlilac,

did you have male and females? I wondered if the males could be less apt to taken by a hawk or owl.

I am so paranoid now. I seen a hawk sitting on top of a tree all day today. I went and chased her away.
she had some babies.

do you know if hawks prefer a tree with no branches? I have a couple dead trees in the back,
and that seems to be where the hawk always sits.

hubby is going to get some bottle rockets and set them off everyday, hopefully, it will keep scaring them away.

I might get a couple tom turkeys. I never had the hawk problem when my tom was alive.
not sure if that was the reason, or if it was a coincidence. :shrug:

I really would like to get another peacock, but, now I am afraid, unless I have them penned up.
I too liked my peacock running free.

thank you for letting me know about yours, and I hope we can figure out a way to keep the hawks away.

prk22

Postby prk22 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Pat- when did she go missing...I originally thought 'owl' at the start of this thread...so I am inclined to take the heat off the hawks...but *shrugs* at knowing for sure.
~Pätrick
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 pm

I am not sure when it was daytime or night time. I am inclined to believe it was a hawk.
I think day time though.

I seen a mother hawk with her babies not far from where I seen the one wing and a couple feathers.

I have seen so many hawks lately. even 5 or more at a time circling around almost every day.

I havent heard any owls for awhile. I thought owls just rip the heads off?

lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Pat, I have both males and females. In the beginning, it was only the males they were killing. I believe it was because their tails made it harder for them to make a fast getaway. And maybe they were more easily spotted because of their color.

I also don't think the hawks, even if they are smaller, would have a bit of trouble killing them, one, because of the size of their deadly talons and two, because the peacocks are usually so docile.

I do feel the bottle rockets would temporarily scare them away but it seems like to me, they remember "territories" where they've found supplies of prey and they and probably also their offspring, will continue to come back. It's been devastating to me. We had ten wonderful years of watching them wander around outside. They were like living art. And watching the sweet mothers' devotion to their chicks was always so beautiful.

For awhile, I wanted to make those pens some people have for chickens that they can roll around from place to place each week so they will have new ground but I would have to have several and it seems to just be too big of an undertaking.

I think the ideal thing would be is if they would actually let me corral them in and out of the arena each day but my peacocks DO NOT obey me in any way and it took many days before I finally captured the last one, when I finally got them all in the arena. I want so badly to let them come out again but I don't think I could EVER catch them all to get them in again and the ones left out would surely get killed. It's a really sad situation to me. I love them as much as any of my other babies.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 am

I'd be surprised if hawks would mess with full grown peafowl. Eagles and large owls, yes though. Hawks are not going to mess with turkey or full grown geese either.

I remember a few years ago when I was losing the occasional hen or rooster and I highly suspected hawks or other bird of prey because there was no feather trail or great disturbance, just a few feathers in one spot and a missing bird. Turned out to be bobcat, so don't rule them out.

Only once did I lose a small breed chicken to a hawk, and I found the hawk feeding on it. That's another thing, I doubt any hawk can carry away a full grown chicken, MUCH less a full grown peacock.

You are looking at a heavier/stronger predator then hawks I feel.
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:48 pm

It could be a group of Harris Hawks, since they do operate in a pack-like formation. Although I doubt one could take on the full grown peafowl, I am sure that a pack of them easily could. I think that one of those deterrent owl things might help in this case since they are "arch-enemies."
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I lean more toward a hawk, because I have seen so many of them lately.
(ever since my turkey died, there is more)

I don't think it was a bobcat, not sure about an owl.
I have a couple donkeys and a strange steer who don't too kindly to any animal in his yard.
also, as for preditor on 4 legs, would not be real easy to get it. I have my property fenced in.

what I think, is my peacock may of had a nest. (even though she had no mate) many or most birds will sit on a nest if they are not fertile. maybe the hawk found her and killed her, then took her :shrug:
their claws are razor sharp. I seen where a momma and her babies were. it was no far at all from where I found the
wing and feathers.

I believe a hawks will kill a full grown chicken. I have had many missing in the last few years.
I know my dogs didn't do it.

I put a fake alligater at the edge of the pond. I keep moving it around. since I did that, I have not seen the couple hawks that were sitting in the tree near the pond. I also read that mirrors might help :shrug:

here is a video of a hawk killing a chicken icon-sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XybLPlH5zx8

I attached some pictures of what I found of my poor peacock.

I have heard that hawks will take cats and small dogs, don't really know how true that is. but I am really paranoid.
anytime I see any hawks in the trees, I try and chase them away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:11 pm

Pat, whenever I hear an owl at night, I also go out clapping my hands and making noises to try to scare it away.

I read today that hawks pluck the feathers of their victims, and usually that was all that was left of my peacocks. A huge area of feathers and sometimes a wing. I don't know why it's hard to believe a hawk would kill a peacock. Our neighbors dog ran up and grabbed one of mine by the neck once, and it didn't struggle, at all. When the dog let it go, it just slowly collapsed. A hawk could easily put it's talons around the peacocks neck and stand on it and begin plucking it. The peacocks don't bite back.

And some of the owls I've seen in the barn are small, not much larger than a hawk, and the little owls don't have any problem killing the much larger peacocks. I KNOW the night kills were owls. They would always leave the entire body and just eat the head. Today, there was actually a hawk sitting out on the fence when I went out the back door.

I read motion detector lights can sometimes scare owls away at night but that wouldn't help with whatever attacks them during the day. Of all the predatory animals like coyotes, foxes, raccoons etc., I've never seen or heard any of them during the day, but I always see hawks then.

Raccoons love eating the peacock food at night but I've never been able to imagine them killing the peacocks. They usually seem very sweet and almost tame. Do you think a raccoon would ever kill a peacock?
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:08 am

They're omnivores, but I don't think they would be brave enough to try and kill a bird that size.

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”