PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

anybody with barn owls?

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

cj_0512

anybody with barn owls?

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Anybody with bard owls as pets? Just wondering how many people in average own them? If you do please post some pictures and your experience with them. I have always wanted one but I know in the back of my mind it will never happen :( but please let us all know!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: anybody with barn owls?

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Here's a link to a past topic on here about barn owls. http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11327

They can't really be kept as pets in the US. They must be used for either falconry or education work, and there is a lot of paperwork that goes into owning them. Owning a bird native to the US here in America is very strict, and you have to meet a bunch of requirements. It's pretty ridiculous and over-the-top. A USDA-licensed educator I know was going to take in an injured raptor, had the enclosure ready and everything set up, and then at the last minute was told she couldn't get it for some stupid reason involving paperwork. She said in her opinion it really just isn't worth the hassle.

What you can do though is get an owl that isn't native to the US. Then you just go through the state--nothing federal. So maybe look into those and see what you like. The Eurasian Eagle Owls are big and pretty too and are more commonly kept as pets.

So unless you're interested in falconry or educational work, sadly you can't own one here. But like I said, there are a lot of other alternatives too that may interest you.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”