ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

birds of prey

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

autumn blitz

birds of prey

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:33 am

i started volunteering at a wildlife santuary/rehab unit about 8/9months or so ago cos i was looking at getting a fox.

i've been asked to look after a harris hawk chick that was found by a member of the public and brought in. the owner of the place hasn't really got a scooby as to what to do but he doesn't want it going elsewhere (bad move in my book). i've already got an aviary that's pretty big with a substantial box and perch in one end.

as i really don't know the history of the animal (guessing it's about 6 months old). there's a place not far from me where they do falconry --- i was wondering if that's the best place to start asking even more questions ? there's no ring on it and no bells and stuff like the other birds that i witnessed.

the guy that runs the place is set up mainly for 4 legs and fur not birds so if i'm going about this the right way then that's cool. just figuring that it'd be better off with someone that knows what they're doing :)

donna

me and my dogs are going back there today so i'll try and get some pics.
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: birds of prey

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi, I highly suggest that you take the bird to someone with experience. Raptors are very tricky animals to care for, especially wild ones, and they require much more than what you can provide (you mentioned elsewhere you're renting). They need either a very large flight cage or an owner who can train them to free fly. Even if something was wrong with its wings and it couldn't fly, it still needs a very large enclosure with plenty of branches to climb around on.

I'm kind of concerned that you haven't already taken it to somebody with experience, to be honest. icon_confused.gif These animals are hard to care for unless you have the proper setup and knowledge.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
autumn blitz

Re: birds of prey

Postby autumn blitz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am

thankyou ash :) i was as concerned as you quite rightly were. the guy that runs that centre is not the friendliest of people and doesn't want others interfereing in what he does - wrong in my opinion but i don't own the place. it's also the only place that would let me volunteer cos i got a record.

GOOD NEWS :)

the guys from wild wings in culcheth in warrington came and took it this morning -- i sent some e-mails and spoke to some people about it when i saw it and wasn't sure if anyone had any space for it so am glad that i know where it's gone and that i'll be able to go and see it whenever i want to :) i've also had an offer from them to learn more so i'm going back to school to learn not only keeping them but the whole nine yards :) which i'm looking forward to plus having had this limited experience i'd like to get qualified so that i'll know exactly what to do/look out for in future.

donna
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”