PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

training :)

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

autumn blitz

training :)

Postby autumn blitz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:15 pm

i'm in talks with ben long falconry in gloucestershire with regards to getting fully qualified and then MAYBE my own hawk. ( benlongfalconry.co.uk )

i'm being talked through everything that i'm going to need to do and am having verbal instruction with regards to the Lantra qualifications which i'll be doing with him :) i'm not going to use the centre near me cos they won't let my fully working dog in their centre whereas ben is open to the idea although it may take time for the dog to get used to it.

ben also does folow up stuff so if i go there and then have any problems with anything then he'll "step up to the plate" and help me out with regards help and advice and just general stuff if i'm having a bad day :)

the qualifications run through absolutely everything that can be needed to be covered. it's just that being in place with people that have no idea at all - i thought that it would be very good for me to get qualified and at least then i offer up advice based on what i've learnt to start with.

donna
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: training :)

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Cool. :) I always thought falconry sounded neat, but I don't know if birds are for me, lol. Let us know if/when you start your training, or receive instruction.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:10 pm

a lot of the preliminary stuff is written - sort of like exam type stuff but everyone can openly discuss the answers :)

just gotta build my "mews" cos the complete package that's on offer to me includes the raptor if i would like one at the end of the course :)

falconry is neat - it's a bit like working a dog - you train it to hunt, you train it to come back and look after everything that it needs. i know it sounds cool but for me it's an opportunity to work with another form of working animal which is what i love :)

so yup updates will be coming soon and when i've finished reading the stack of material that i've got and managed to absorb most of it :)

the worst part for me is creating the mews cos it's gotta be people and animal proof which where i live means at least 8foot tall galvanised security fencing as a perimeter and then i can get the "shed" sorted and kitted out.

i count myself lucky in that i work for and with farmers most of the year so just like my dogs it'll get plenty of exercise :) and plenty of quality meat hunted or otherwise :)

i must admit that i've never been this excited about an opportunity like this before :)

donna
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:16 pm

That's neat. :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's "mews," lol?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:27 am

small birds get an aviary and can be kept in relatively small cages and stuff.

a hawk or similar gets a "mews" which is basically a garden shed with the front cut off and a caged area attached to the front of it with a double door entrance to stop the bird from escaping. there's some pictures on www.thefalconryschool.com of what i'm trying to describe for you.

if you ever get the chance to go to faconry centre and you see the housing for them then that's what i gotta build :) and like everything else i love a challenge.

also been told that if went for a Barn Owl with a Catagory A10 DEFRA permit then i could do demo's and stuff which really would be cool but i gotta go and do my certificaation first before i do anything.

i do when i get a new dog -- i get all the stuff that i need and set up a training plan and only when i'm completely happy with things do i then introduce the new dog :)

so therefore as follows --- i'm creating the fenced in mews - then at the same time i've got or getting the reading / course material to read through and the gear that i'm going to need to complete the course and at theat point i'll be ready for what ever bird i choose to get :)

reckoning that it'll be january or february 2015 before i'm totally ready to take a birdie on :) cos my pup will be 6 months old and hopefully fairly steady and then there's jake whose totally steady.

i'm doing the course with the pair of them with me so that i can put some extra commands and things in palce for them to work with the birdie :)

donna
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 pm

well turns out that there isn't really a great deal of difference between training a working sheepdog and training a hawk.

most of what i do now is what ben does with his hawks so i should fly through the practical stuff :) it's just the written stuff that i struggle with bigtime -- i can't hold a pen properly at all and when it comes to answering questions it's like i jsut go totally quiet and although i knwo the answer i get scared to say it --- sounds a bit silly but that's what happens :(

roll on week 6 2015 - oh yeah :) the trip to get qualified is going to be me, jake and flurry's annual holidays :) cos otherwise we wouldn't get a break for at least 12months :(
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:30 pm

It sounds like you have testing anxiety. I had that in college really bad. Got great grades on homework, did great in class and in practice, but when I sat down to take a test, I'd bomb. So don't feel bad there. It's more common than you think.

Sounds like you're going to be busy!
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:21 am

i can't hold a pen normally cos i've broken my fingers lots of times and they're just a mess but they're spot on for a dog whistle - go figure. the exam stuff i guess that i'm just scared that i'll get it wrong so choose to stay quiet.

this time of year is full and totally stressful cos the farmers have bought their new ewe lambs, brought them back, checked them and then separated them into their fields (one heck of a lot of work) and on some farms this can takes weeks !!!!!

then you add into the mix that i've got 2 months to make sure that the 9 dogs that i got going to the january auction are spot on and working well and at the correct weight on the day. not sure whether to buy any more in january cos my rent on the kennel block has gone up by over 50% in the last year :( and i've got a new number 2 doggy coming in 17days time :)

then i go to ben's for some much needed R&R and then we come back and near full lambing time again............. don't know how the new hawk will react to my total outdoor lifestyle but hell it's a suck it and see one that :)

i got a mews for it --- it's the biggest dog transit kennel that you can get :) even jakeyboy fits in it and he's 4ft long 18inches wide and about 3ft tall and weighing in at 31.2kg --- you really do have to see him in the flesh to appreciate the size of him :) so if it's big enough for jake then it's big enough for just about anything :)

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”