PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pygmy owls?!?!?!

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

LizardLohan

Pygmy owls?!?!?!

Postby LizardLohan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:05 pm

I was looking into species of owls that can be easily kept, Thats were I fell in love with pygmys. particularly the eurasian and ferruginous pygmy. I am pretty sure they, not being native to the americas, are legal - please currect me if im wrong. Im not sure about pennsylvania laws, I will look into it, but I can wait till I move to get one. I was wondering if anyone here had any thing to say about any type of owls, Because im pretty sure no one here has had any of them, but any info is app. Also, though not expected, any info about breeders would be more welcome than you can possibly understand. Oh my moms gunna kill me. :lol:
Oh, decisions, decisions.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 pm

Since they are the smallest owls in europe, they would be no good for falconry breeders, and I think that would make them darn near impossible to find in captivity because of that.
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:37 pm

boy does that suck! You would think there was at least elf owl breeders beause of their small size, but I cant even find any of them. Im going to keep trying, I bet their real expencive.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:25 am

knowing the pgc, chances are they will be illegal :roll:

call them and ask.

I don't know much about owls, but, I thought I heard the regular ones are mean?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 am

Lol; I cant get one anyway - not yet at least.

Elf owls prob. are illegal because they are native to the united states but the pgymys arent. nonetheless, pcg most likely has a ban on them. you are right; owls arent exactly pets - more like an animal you live with. just something interesting i would love to watch fly around.... i better marry a rich man; all these animals and habitats are going to cost me an arm and a leg! :lol:
mobayrasta

Postby mobayrasta » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 pm

The problems with owls are plenty. Their feces are disgusting, runny and very very smelly. They have to be maintained at the right weight to keep them healthy. They need alot of exercise and I have never heard of a pygmy species being taught to hunt, all though I am sure it is possible. And it is very easy to over exersize them if they are not recieving the right type and amount of food" Many unexpierienced falconers (people who hunt with taloned birds) slowly kill their birds by over flying them and underfeeding them leading to their slow starvation. It is very critical to constantly weigh them to know their correct condition. I have known rehabbers that have kept injured owls with missing wings and such and they seem to be healthy and long lived if kept at the correct weight, but they also never really seem content and even though can be handled(with falconers gloves) are not very nice and will bite when given the chance.

This is a quote from a very knowledgeable bird expert.

"They are beautiful, majestic and awe-inspiring, but they are also large and powerful with extremely sharp talons. They require a steady diet of small animals (fed whole). They are not sociable, and need room to fly and hunt; in short they need to be the wild animals that they are meant to be. I've worked with owls, and they are amazing and wonderful animals. Just not good pets."

That is not coming from a PETA type person , this is from someone who keeps exotics.

There are too many affectionate type animals out there (yes even the porcupine on your list) to deal with owls. If you are lookin for an impressive bird you should look at the mini macaws. I think they would suit your personality great.

Good luck looking for that rich husband, because most of us animal lovers are broke from spending money on our animals. LOL! My raccoon just had a $600 dollar vet bill( and a 4 and 1/2 hour drive one way). Exotics can be expensive, and finding a reputable exotic vet is not always easy.

Hope you get all of your dream animals one day!

Respect

Chris
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Thank you for the information, owls were just something I would love to look into - because most chances are that i will not be able to get one even later in my life. I understand that it would take loads of experence dealing with birds and owls in general before you could possibly keep one, healthy. I dont mind animals that arent affectionate, as of right now thats what im looking for but in the future It would make no difference as i will love all the same.

Good luck with getting your coon healthy, i know what you mean as far as vet bills - my family always buys the sickest of the sick as pets. I found a good vet thats about 45 min.s away - thats not to bad at all!

Thank you very much, that was very informitive.
Nirvana

Postby Nirvana » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:08 pm

The only small owl I know of that is ever found in the private trade is the Spectacled Owl. I've never heard of pygmy owls being kept by the private sector.

I'm sure there are breeders out there of pretty much everything, but I think in most cases one would have to have a "reason" to buy one (ie, a zoo, an exhibitor, etc.)
Drache

Postby Drache » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:52 am

Mobayrasta, I heard the same thing when I was working in a sanctuary for birds. They mostly had tropical birds, but they had a few raptors who were unreleasable. They were weighed twice a day.

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”