PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Phoenix

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

dennis

Phoenix

Postby dennis » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:31 pm

I just though I would share my swainson hawk with everybody. She was dropped off at our place a few years back and has been part of our family since. We called her Phoenix since she was in poor condition when we got her and despite her many problems survived. We are not sure of the sex for sure since the only difference between sexes is size and we do not have another one to compare her to. She is great to have around; she loves attention (which is odd for a hawk) and will call for me, especially around feeding time. We keep her in a large flight cage from spring to fall but needs to be inside for winter. Natrually they are fround in Western Canada and US and migrate to South America in Winter. Every year I hate having to put her in her winter cage for it is nothing like her flight cage but needs to be done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder of odd and unusual exotics animals www.northern-exotics.com
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 am

She is beautiful!

I don't know much about migrating hawks, but couldn't you just set up a room in/ next to her cage for her with a infrared heat lamp inside where she has free access to? Then you could leave her in her flight cage all year.

That's what we do with our parakeets and canaries.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
dennis

Postby dennis » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:14 pm

I live in Northern Ontario, Canada where it isn’t uncommon for temperature to drop below -30 C or -22 F. Then on top of the cold temp we also get cold winds, which drop the temp even colder. With the wind chill factor we get -40 F temperatures and even with a heat light the animal wouldn’t survive. I wish it could be that simple because, like I said I hate putting her into her winter cage. We do use a heat light so we can keep her out later into fall and put her out earlier in spring. Things are changing and winter is coming later in the year, like last year we didn’t get our first snow fall until the end of November and temps stayed mild until Mid December. So we kept her out until December and spring seems to be coming earlier allowing us to get her out sooner. This year we got her out in March so this pass winter she spent about three months in her winter cage. I should say that her winter cage isn’t tiny; it just isn’t large enough to allow her to actually fly. The winter cage is about six feet square allowing her the room to exercise her wings. They will flap there wing in one spot to exercise them. We also fly her as much as we can during the winter month which if we get a bunch of cold days we bring her to a neighbour horse ranch who has an indoor horse arena. This gives us a large place to fly her without her having to freeze. I should state that many falconers keep there birds leashed to a perch for the most part and then fly them periodically for exercise. This does work and is what has been done for centuries by falconers I just prefer her being in a large cage. Phoenix rarely get leashed, I only leash her when we do educational shows and a little at home so she knows what is going on. Her outside cage is about 12 feet wide, 28 feet long and 12 feet high. It is set up so she can fly from one end to the other and also has a shelter to get out of the weather. Also due to West Nile I screened the entire cage to prevent any mosquitoes from biting her. We live in the swampy north and we have a lot of bugs and I know it drives me crazy to have them all around me so I do what ever I can to keep my critters bug free.
Breeder of odd and unusual exotics animals www.northern-exotics.com
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 am

She is very lucky to have found you.
I guess with all the exercise, her stay in the winter cage really shouldn't make you feel so bad.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”