PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Falconry

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FOXman

Falconry

Postby FOXman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Is anyone on this site a falconer? I just think it would be so cool to be one! They use huge predatory birds for hunting(Usually not for the handler, but the kill or the food would go to the bird for it's nicely done job) and/or public awareness or education. I love big birds. No, not the one off of sesame street. I love the ones that fly. Such as Eagles, Hawks, and Falcons. I used to want to be a falconer, until I found out you could own foxes. Then all of my attention went astray from studying falconry to studying Fox Ownership. Honestly, I would rather own a fox than a hawk or eagle, but I would still like to hear what it is like. All input is appreciated!
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 am

There are special laws about it. You need to apprentice under a licensed falconer for years and start with the easier smaller birds of prey first.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah, in the back of my mind I thought it was illegal so I hadn't even thought about it. Hah.
Although! I did work with people whom worked with some at a wild-life rehabilitation center, and it was really cool - our hawks were so beautiful up close. :) And they were considered too tame or too disabled to be released. ....On the last day I got to take some pictures of someone feeding one, haha, if you'd like to see them, I could find them. :lol:
And haha, yeah, I was never a fan of big bird, but I like big birds as well. ;)
Err...I don't know what to say about them though. But they seem content with people- but I guess these guys weren't super tame, so when they were taken out for walks, some still had issues with getting the clamps on or something, but it was mainly the handler's fault, and then the birds were content after-wards while being on the walk... The one poor birdy I got to see up close (I honestly can't remember what it was - it might have been an owl actually, but I think I remember it having a falcon face), but it refused to warm up to it's handler, so it could never be taken outside...don't know if they ever got her out, but while I was there, she wasn't.
So, maybe these weren't awesome birds in captivity- but I'd say it's because they were all wild born. If you raised one from birth, I'm sure you could get a very bonded and pleasant bird. ...And some are just nice - I got to pet a juvenile red-tailed hawk, but I'm not sure why he was so calm.
So, yeah... haha.
Man, I really want to go back there now! Ah. Heh.
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
FoxAdorer817

Re: Falconry

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 pm

And I hadn't realized this section of the exotic animals site, so I guess here's a place you can get some; http://www.raptorsforsale.com/raptors-for-sale.asp
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Nicksexoticanimals

Postby Nicksexoticanimals » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:33 am

Ill fill you in on a little secret thats pretty much kept on the Down-Low. You dont have to be a licensed Falconer to own birds of prey. There are non-indigenous species of falcons & owls that are considered Exotic Raptors, Which dont require any license, Just like owning a parakeet. That doesnt mean you can own a falcon & hunt game with it, But you sure can lure fly or free fly on private land or use in educational shows. These species are Lanner Falcons, Barbary Falcons, Saker Falcons, Eagle Owls, Scops Owls and a few other kinds of owls which are near impossible to find, Trust me Iv been on a waiting list for a small exotic owl for years.

I would Recomend Barbary Falcons, There on the smaller side & cost $750-$1250, Lanners are the easyest to work with, A little larger and run $1750-$2500. If you would like, PM me for info on a breeder upstate ny who has everything mentioned. My only advice, Falcons are unlike any animal i have ever owned, It takes alout of money, time & dedication. I just bought a baby pied crow which is very cool, Not to mention he doesnt need 5 frozen chicks for dinner every night :lol: Iam going to train him to free fly...
BB

Postby BB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Please keep us updated with photos and stories about the progress with your crow.
Nicksexoticanimals

Postby Nicksexoticanimals » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Yup you got it...
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Soo...I guess I got the concept wrong. Haha.
I was at a..."nature fair" or something of that sort a little while ago- it was at the place I volunteer and happened on a day I was already scheduled, so I covered a stand for an hour or two, then got to walk around...and there was a set-up of falconers that run a falconry in front of the building, and I'm honestly surprised they were welcome here- as I thought the place I was at completely frowned upon things like this, and the people at this stand were completely interested in willing to have the public be falconers as well- I asked him some questions, and he actually handed me a hand out on "how to become a falconer", hah, anyways, to share how I found out I'm actually completely lost on the concept, I mentioned one of the birds Nick said you don't need a license in falconing for...and now I understand what he was saying, so they both say there are multiple birds you can actually have as pets if you don't plan on using them for falconry you don't need to get the license. ...That actually makes perfect sense, and I don't know why I didn't understand it before, but, yeah, so I'd Still need a license if I was planning on using them for falconry, but I would Not need a license if I was just planning on having them as a pet. ...which works for me. Hehe.
Although, I think he mentioned that red-tailed hawks were OK as well (as being legal without the permit), and those are actually the ones I am interested in (and they also had two of them on display there- it seemed to be a very sweet, well-tempered bird. ...Although, I know, not all of them are like that, I just know they Can be like that. hah.), so I was wondering, can you back-up that statement? Because I don't know if he mentioned them or not, but that'd be great...
If not, do you know if there's any specific license you need to have a red-tail as a pet?
Thankss
Nicksexoticanimals

Postby Nicksexoticanimals » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:09 am

I just came across your question, Redtail Hawks are Native, You have to be an apprentice falconer to own one... I gave a list of everyone you can keep in my post
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Ohh, alright; I didn't know if you included every species, but okay, thanks. icon-smile
(And I guess that explains why I haven't seen any of them before. :roll: Ha.)
walterusob

Postby walterusob » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:01 am

you should speak to a master falconer. reading your posts i don't think they will speak to you. people who want a bird of prey or a raptor just to have don't rank too high in their world. the first step in practising falconry to a high standard is to plan our your intentions and expectations in light of the realities of falconry. you need to spend about 3 or more hours a day with your bird. can you do that? its mostly a winter sport, hope you like the cold. how about space and money to build the minimum standard accommodation expected? oh and yes, what are you doing for the next 20ish years? thats how long well cared for birds can live. in the us you have to train under a general or master falconer of 2 years, apprentice, pass the state test, and earn the respect of your sponser before you can fly. you are limited to what birds you can house and fly with. again you have to earn the right to go forward into the world of falconry.
serval lover

Postby serval lover » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 pm

i am hoping to be an apprentice falconer soon so i might be able to answer some of your questions
you can say anything you want about me, but i am what i am and that is something that you could never be!!!
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 am

Also on the subjects of redtail hawks, usually (or atleast in my state) this will be your first falcon when you are apprintacing. This hawk will be caught in the wild, you will use it for a year, training it in falconry and then the next year it will be let go and by that time you should be able to get your license and use other birds of prey for falconry.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

If the main interest here is owning a bird of prey as a pet, you can own a raptor that isn't endangered and is not indigenous to the US. There are quite a few falcons and hawks not native that look relatively similar.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”