https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Eagles used in Falconry

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Legend

Eagles used in Falconry

Postby Legend » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey everyone!

I've researched falconry off and on for several years now, but have done so pretty thoroughly. I don't want to be a falconer, as I would prefer to have a exhibitors license to show some raptors to people interested in them.

But that doesn't stop my interest in falconry, are Golden Eagles the only Eagle that is used? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Bald Eagles are used sometimes in Canada.

What other species have you guys heard of?

Blessings
cat person
Banned
Banned

Re: Eagles used in Falconry

Postby cat person » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi Legnand,

The only species of Eagle I have heard being used in the United States is the Golden Eagle that you mentioned. I found this website: http://www.themodernapprentice.com/birds.htm. Hope that helps some.
Legend

Postby Legend » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks CP,

From what I've gathered certain eagles are more common in various other locales. Like I think I found someone who had a Stellers Sea Eagle. Quite beautiful!
Legend

Postby Legend » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Sorry for the double post, but If I'm not mistaken(I've seen it addressed before on the board), you can keep native raptors with an exhibition license? I'm pretty positive you can but I just want to be sure.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Legand,

Double posts are fine. Well with me at least :rhin: . But what do I know :lol: .

Anyway here is a link about native raptors and laws: http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/raptors/06.html. While this might not be exactly what your looking for I hope this helps. If not please let me know and I will see what other links I can find for you.
Legend

Postby Legend » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks a lot CP, your a hero!!!

Even when I'm pretty sure about some certain questions I have, I like to come to Sybil's for confirmation...especially with LAWS!!!

Thank you very much for the link!!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Native raptors are protected under the migratory bird act. You need a federal rehab or possession permit for them separate thing from USDA.

I didn't look at the link though so maybe it addressed that.
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Native raptors would take a rehabilitators license to keep them in the U.S. if you are not using them for falconry, furthermore if you did want to exhibit them at public events you would still need your class C USDA exhibitors license. As far as eagles go, the balds even though they've recently been taking off the endangered species list still typically are not used in falconry. The main reason for this is because bald eagles hunt water, not land.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 am

Actually USDA only covers mammals.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I've been researching falconry as well and what Delight says is true. Generally Bald Eagles are not used because they hunt fish on the water. Most falconers hunt squirrels, rabbits and such. Bald Eagles don't hunt those, so yeah it looks like the Golden Eagle is pretty much the only eagle used.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 pm

People usually hunt with eagles to take down deer or goats. There's some really neat videos on youtube. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”