PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A Big Black Hawk?

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

A Big Black Hawk?

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I get this big black Hawk looking bird flying over my house sometimes pretty high in the sky they soar, They sometimes come down near the ground and their wingspan is bigger than that of a Red Tail Hawks or any Hawk I seen before I don't think its an eagle or any type of Vulture because I live in Illinois and I don't believe those birds exist in IL but I could be wrong. Its all black maybe a little brownish in some places and has a bright yellow beak I wish I had a photo of it. It looks very hawkish and it seems to fly slower than a Red Tail and its pretty huge when its close to land. The farmers call them Chicken Hawks but I thought Chicken Hawk was a name given to a bunch of different kinds of Hawks?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Big Black Hawk?

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Turkey vulture maybe? I'm from Illinois, and that sounds like what you're describing. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Wolf67

Postby Wolf67 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:57 am

Ash wrote:Turkey vulture maybe? I'm from Illinois, and that sounds like what you're describing. :)
It might be but don't they have a pink head? This birds head was all black too I think it might be a Harris Hawk from what I seen of it it looks exactly like that. Not 100% sure though
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:08 am

The Harris Hawk is from the southwestern united states and they're not black.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:13 am

They do have pink heads, but when they're up in the sky I can't tell. They just look all black to me unless I get a look at them on the ground. :) When they're eating something in the fields, I can see their bald little heads.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Turkey vultures have red head but black vultures have black heads.

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”