please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Can you keep a Crow as a pet?

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

Can you keep a Crow as a pet?

Postby Wolf67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I think crows are pretty cool and was thinking if you can have one as a pet? I heard stories that Crows can actually make great companions and are as clever as a parrot can be.
Whatsername

Re: Can you keep a Crow as a pet?

Postby Whatsername » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:26 pm

They can be kept as pets, and are VERY smart, which also makes them a more "difficult" pet. Native species are illegal, so you have to get a non-native one. I've read a lot of info here: http://foxloft.com/exotics/zen

I haven't read it all but it seems like a great resource, so I hope this helps ^^
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Crows make EXCELLENT pets. It's important to note though that you can't keep native crows.

If you want to keep an all black crow, there are African crows that are hybridized between two species (they make a solid black crow, like the american crows).

The best breeder is Corvid Ranch. Whenever (if ever) I get my crows, he's the man I'm going to for sure. Just seems like a great guy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Wolf67

Postby Wolf67 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 am

Those Pied Crows look pretty neat they look like the Native US Crow but with a white chest. I could settle for one of those. :)
Wolf67

Postby Wolf67 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:19 am

Haha crows can talk too! Although this is a Raven in the video I'm sure Crows can talk like this too haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXU7o0f ... re=related
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 am

Wolf67 wrote:Haha crows can talk too! Although this is a Raven in the video I'm sure Crows can talk like this too haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXU7o0f ... re=related

omg... This is amazing! So awesome... ^^ I didn't know crows could talk.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45 pm

If you breed a African pied crow with an African raven (?) their hybrid offspring turn out pure black. :) That's the kind I want. The guy at Corvid ranch breeds those a bunch.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Wait... was that real? Crows can actually talk, like parrots? :O
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Crows are super smart! Not only can they learn to talk, but they can also learn tricks and solve problems. Rooks especialy are really intelligent and have been compared to primates in some studies. In studies, rooks have learned to use tools to achieve an end result.

I can't remember if this study was posted here, of if I came across it. If I can find it I'll post a link. It was really interesting.
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I had a pet crow when I was younger. Amazing bird. She was incredibly smart, she was also a theif and would steal anything shiny and fly it up onto the top of the house and stash it. I raised her and released her. It's a very amazing story but not one I care to write the full content of at the moment. They are incedible though. I love corvids. I have a parrot now but he does not compare to my crow in inteligents or personality.

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”